Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Meghan. I live in Madison WI with my husband, Bryan, our 4 yr old son, Alex, our 9 yr old male Golden, Gerry, and two cats, Robitaille and Chelsea. We just moved here last January for my job. We were living in Modesto, CA, near Sacramento. I'm originally from CA, Bryan was raised in WI in Waukesha county.

We got Gerry from Stanislaus county animal shelter when he was about a year old. I've owned two other dogs in the last 11 years: a pit x, Kayla, who is now 11 and living with my mom back in CA, and A St. Bernard, Barney, who went to the Bridge in 2008.

Gerry is a joy to live with: sweet, quiet, calm indoors and stereotypical field Golden: wiry, dark red, not much coat, very active (at 9 still needs 1 hr+ of exercise daily) and extremely high drive. Dog training is one of my hobbies and G and I have played around with agility, obedience, & field work. I'm a little too busy w/ family and a little too ADHD to title Gerry in much besides his CGC. We also do a lot of hiking.

Gerry's one big fault is a tendency to chase cats and small dogs. A training bumper with freeze dried duck wings attached helped a lot with perfecting his "leave it". :)

I'm here mostly to start researching getting a Golden puppy from a breeder. I've raised shelter puppies but would like to maximize my odds of getting a pup with a sound temperament. This seemed like a good place to start.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

-Meghan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome Foilgirl. You have found a fount of information on Golden's here. Also welcome to Wisconsin. Lucky for you the winter this year has been very mild so you can break into winter driving slowly. In response for your request to find a reputable Golden breeder in your area. May I suggest that you check out DICHI GOLDEN'S from Portage Wisconsin. Many of us (including me) on this forum have one or more of Dick and Chris's Golden's. They have the show line of Golden's and are very knowledgeable breeders with many years of experience. There are many other very good breeders in this area and hopefully some others will jump in with information for you. Please fell free to ask any questions that you may have and someone on this board will usually have answers for you. Again welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts