Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to send in a short intro real fast and hopefully get to know a few golden lovers like myself. I am Comet's mommy. Comet is a new family member to us as we just got him on Saturday from two very special ladies (they are the breeders of him and when the couple that bought him could no longer keep him they took him back and I got lucky and found this wonderful guy). Comet is 23 months old and a wonderful lovebug and joy to have around. He has attached himself to me as I have attached myself to him (didn't think I would ever be able to attach myself to another fur baby after loosing my beloved American Pit Bull Terrier in July 2006), Comet changed that really fast lol. He is our very first Golden ever (we have raised APBT and Rotties for many years). He cries for me if I walk out of the house without him. He loves the water and loves to play. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask me and I will be more than happy to answer them the best that I can. I have some pics of him as well as his parents up at his own site at http://public.fotki.com/KristalsComet.
Comet's Mommy

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Poor old Comet. Do you always force him to sleep in bed? :) I'm glad you joined us, and thanks so much for the pictures. Comet looks like the happiest GR in the world from what I can see.

Enjoy your stay. There are probably one or two other GR lovers on this forum, if you look around!

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Welcome! We look forward to getting to know you and Comet better. I'm mom to Brandy, now 22 months, and Jenna, 8 years old.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Welcome to our site. I have to say, that is quite a switch to go from rottweiler and pitbull to Golden Retriever. I never had pitbull nor rottweiler, so I only know what they look like, but not much about how their personalities compare to that of a Golden Retriever. Are there some pros and cons of owning Golden Retriever comparing to the other two breeds?
Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vrocco1

Thank you very much for the welcome. Actually we don't force him to do anything that he doesn't want to lol. He hadn't even been home here with us for an hour and I was washing bedding and went to put the fitted sheet on the bed and he was up there laying down sleeping. I couldn't get him off the bed so I could finish getting the sheet back on, I had to literally roll him over and pull the sheet under him in order to get it back on roflmao. I am very glad that I joined here. Thank you we do hope that he is the happiest Golden in the world with us. He is such a doll and a huge lover!!
Good to know that there are a few other Golden lovers here lol
Comet's Mommy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brandy's Mom

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know you and Brandy better also. I don't know much about Comet yet as we just got him on Saturday but so far he is WONDERFUL!!! and I look forward to sharing everything that we discover about him with everyone here.
Comet's Mommy

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Hello and welcome! I loved all the pictures in your album :) I called my husband to look at the ones of Comet snoozing--too bad that dog can't learn to relax, huh? Your kids must be thrilled to have him!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe

Hi Joe!!!
Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes it is a HUGE switch to go from a bully breed to a Golden lol. Rotties and Pits both have a very friendly and protective family personality, they all are very different from each other and are a lot of fun but they are a lot more to handle and train than a Golden (from what I know so far about having and being around Goldens lol). I have had pits and rotties that were laid back like a golden and I have had some that were nothing but pains and always into something, usually trouble lol. My last pit, Chopper, was very high strung and had a mind of his own (Chopper and our female pit have their own site at http://public.fotki.com/NelsonPits) . He was also very protective and tempermental with anyone outside the family. Pits and Rotties need to be raised and socialized extensively with other animals, people, kids etc and aren't always readily accepting of someone outside of the home or of other animals. Pits are stockier and have been given a horrible rap due to irresponsible owners, trainers, breeders etc. Rotties are pretty much the same only bigger and sometimes stronger lol. They both make wonderful family members, but again they can be very tempermental and really need to be supervised (as any 4 legged family member) and socialized.
From what I have seen and known and been around with Goldens, they are more readily accepting of anything and anyone lol. They are a lot easier to train and have around. They aren't as tempermental or as hard to train or socialize. They also don't have the bad rap that the other 2 breeds have. We gave up (well not really gave up but put on hold to try another breed that is more docile) the bully breeds due to an accident that happened with our Chopper and youngest son (story for another time lol).
I feel that there are pros and cons to all breeds, just depends on what you are looking for in a breed and also depends on what kind of breeder you get one from lol.
Comet's Mommy

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Thank you so much for your detailed post. It was actually a very interesting comparison. Anyhow, I hope your son is OK, as that story you mentioned sounded little scary...
Welcome to our forum, as you see there is lot of nice folks around.
Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LauraJen

Thank you!!! Yep poor guy just won't take a few minutes to stop and smell the roses lol. Glad that you like his pics. He is spoiled rotten already lol
Comet's Mommy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe

You are very welcome. I could go on and on with information on both of the bully breeds (too many years of raising them and having them lol). It was a scary thing, but Chopper just felt he was doing his job and protecting his best buddy, and my youngest son just ended up in the middle of a bad thing. He is fine and doing great!!!
Comet's Mommy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts