Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sunnie's Mom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 2 nights ago I saw an ad on craigslist for a free, 10 month old Golden Retriever and I ended up adopting Sunnie! He is the most wonderful pup ever! Of course I have never had a Golden before, or any other pure bred...anything. Sunnie seems perfectly healthy other than a red rash on his tummy. Poor boy had been itching like crazy too. I am changing his food from Rachel Ray to Iams Sensitive Naturals Salmon flavor. Thinking it will help his skin/coat. Also I gave him a bath. I bathed him first in Dawn Dish soap, then in flea&tick shampoo (The green stuff he came with), and finally with Oatmeal&Aloe wash to calm and sooth his skin. I combed and brushed him dry and found about `15 fleas (dead) and picked them all off. We have a vet check next week. What else can I do for Sunnie? Is there a better food for him? What flea/tick treatments/ replants do you use? What about ways to sooth his skin? We have a 5.5 month old baby girl too so I have to be careful of pesticides and chemicals. Are there any real training tips just for Goldens? He is very very smart and in just 2 days he has learned SIT/GO LAY DOWN and GO INSIDE. He is a dream to walk on a leash or ride a bike with! He is making great progress with "Stay" "EASY (for slow down or calm down)"

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for rescuing your baby :D I'm sure many will chime in on your questions... In the meantime, do you have pics??? We love golden pics here!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Kahuna's fav spot is at my feet too :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
If you removed fleas from him the rash could be due to them (flea dermatitis). You can apply doggie hydrocortisone to the really itchy spots. You can buy it at most pet stores, Target, Walmart, etc. It takes time for the skin to heal.

I'm not a fan of Iams. I have had great success with Proplan Chicken and rice Performance with my goldens. Truthfully, I think it is all a matter of preference.

I rescued Buddy last month and he was a mess primarily from nerves and flea dermatitis. He looks like a totally different dog now. I do bath him every week or so with oatmeal shampoo and conditioner (dog of course). Minimal blow dry- Mostly because it scares him. In between baths is spray a topical doggie moisturizer on him. I brush him several times a day to get his natural oils flowing through his coat.

I do have him on supplements- Dog multivitamin, vit C, vit e, zinc, brewers yeast, fish oil, biotin, flaxseed oil, glucosamine/chiondrotin, and lysine. When adding any supplement go slow.

Good luck with your newest baby, Sunnie. It sounds like he is a real sweet heart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh thank you for rescuing Sunnie! Your life with him will be an amazing adventure!
We have always had a rescue Golden either they find us or we go looking. I have heard of a few rescues found on Craigslist..
I think I better start looking there more often!
Sunnie is precious.
But he should come with a warning that says
"Once you own one, you will always own a Golden"

·
Sunnie's Mom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh thank you for rescuing Sunnie! Your life with him will be an amazing adventure!
We have always had a rescue Golden either they find us or we go looking. I have heard of a few rescues found on Craigslist..
I think I better start looking there more often!
Sunnie is precious.
But he should come with a warning that says
"Once you own one, you will always own a Golden"
He had completely stolen the hearts of me and my husband. Our baby girl LOVES him and laughs every time he gives her kisses! He spent several hours yesterday playing with kids of all ages (3 years to 14 years old) in my yard and about 3 small dogs and he chased, was chased, ran, tumbled, fetched, chewed his toys, and was amazing with all the kids! I have always had Pit mixes or small dogs so Goldens are totally new for me but I don't see me ever going back! I'm looking forward to my daughter and Sunnie being close friends for many years to come!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had a childhood golden (where my obsession began) and he is to this day the best friend I've ever had :)

·
Sunnie's Mom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We poked some fun at HIS name, Sunnie, because he is a boy. We had planed on getting a girl dog, so we got pink toys to have waiting for when we found our special furkid. At first we said he was gay because of the girly name and his instant love for the pink toys. Now, I think Sunnie is a perfect name for him! He's very light/bright in color and fluffy and such a bright and happy disposition brought a ray of sunshine to our little family! Me and my husband actually played frisbee today and I took a bike ride first thing this morning with Sunnie. He's changing our lives already. I'm motivated to be more active and healthy and to get out of the house more. We both have been in great moods ever since we got him. He just adds something special to our family!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
We poked some fun at HIS name, Sunnie, because he is a boy. We had planed on getting a girl dog, so we got pink toys to have waiting for when we found our special furkid. At first we said he was gay because of the girly name and his instant love for the pink toys. Now, I think Sunnie is a perfect name for him! He's very light/bright in color and fluffy and such a bright and happy disposition brought a ray of sunshine to our little family! Me and my husband actually played frisbee today and I took a bike ride first thing this morning with Sunnie. He's changing our lives already. I'm motivated to be more active and healthy and to get out of the house more. We both have been in great moods ever since we got him. He just adds something special to our family!
Real men wear pink :wavey:

Reactions: My Big Kahuna

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
welcome, Sunnie! i think it'd be kinda neat if this boy's "color" was pink.
I'm the very proud owner of a Craiglist goldie, too.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I have a Craigslist rescue now, Katie, there's a thread on her ongoing progress. So glad you took in Sunnie, you will have years of enjoyment with him!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,555 Posts
Welcome to you and Sunnie-he's a good looking boy. Thanks for taking him and giving him the love, care, and home he deserves.

I agree, I think the rash is most likely from Flea Dermatitis and the dog Hydrocortisone cream should help relieve his discomfort and clear it up. If it looks infected, your Vet might prescribe some antibiotics.

I see your from FL-I live on the NC Coast. Fleas are a HUGE problem here-a never ending battle year round. I've tried every topical Flea treatment on the market will little to no relief or prevention. I currently have my two on Trifexis and it's working great. I'm not a big fan of the topicals either because of it being on their coats, since you have a young daughter, using a monthly prevention might be a good option for you.

Both of my goldens were adopted, my girl from a GR Rescue and my boy from my County Humane Society. My Remy had a lot of stomach issues when I first got him, I couldn't get weight on him and his coat was thin and not growing. I tried several dog foods before I finally found one that works-PURINA PRO PLAN for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. He's up to 72 lbs. now, his coat is full and shiny, all stomach problems have been resovled. The PPP SSS is salmon, which is very good for their coats, something you might want to consider.

Best of luck with Sunnie and I hope you'll post more pictures of him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know you will find Sunni to bring much sunshine into your life. I'm a bit of a newbie, too, in that I've had my Golden boy 11 yrs now, but he's the only dog I've ever had. So, I'm still learning. My boy has had all sorts of allergy, skin, and stomach problems. Much of this is just figuring out the "combination" that works best. I will tell you that the best shampoo I've found is "Dr. Goodpet's Pure Shampoo." I just order it directl fr their website. (No; I do not work for them; I really am just an unbiased customer -- smile.) When I first got it, I thought it seemed kind of watery, but it does lather very nicely, and I bet I have tried at least 10 different (many prescription) shampoos. (I tried the oatmeal shampoo, and it didn't work for my boy.) I use the topical flea Rx -- I think it's Advantage or Advantix that I use -- and don't need it in the winter. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your new Golden baby!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Congrats on your new family member!!! He is a handsome young boy!! I have to agree with kwhit...I did not think girl name either.:D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Sunni is gorgeous. What a perfect name with his personality. So glad that he is the perfect fit for you family. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts