Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the south it's tradition to welcome in the New Year with black eyed peas, which bring good fortune if eaten on New Years Day. Hubby and I started eating them a couple of days early, hoping we would have an even better 2012! :crossfing Both of us happen to like them anyway!

I heard on Good Morning America this morning the Italians eat 12 grapes when the clock strikes midnight for good luck and fortune.

What are the traditions for New Years in your area of the world?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Greens for money
Hoppin' John for Luck

I don't like either one so I guess I'll have to take my chances.
There are some people in my family who wouldn't dream of starting the year without these two necessities.:yuck: The Hoppin' John is okay, but no way to any of the greens.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greens for money
Hoppin' John for Luck

I don't like either one so I guess I'll have to take my chances.
There are some people in my family who wouldn't dream of starting the year without these two necessities.:yuck: The Hoppin' John is okay, but no way to any of the greens.
Hoppin John--is that black eyed peas with peppers, onions and garlic added?

I love collards and turnip greens, but I need them with lots of vinegar hot sauce!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Hoppin' John is field peas with rice and onions cooked in. I don't think I've ever know anyone to put garlic in, but it would make it taste better I'm sure!

there is not enough vinegar and/or pepper sauce to make greens palatable IMO.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I LOVE TURNIP GREENS, COLLARD GREENS,WITH VINEGAR. tHE CRACKER BARREL,HAS SOME PRETTY GOOD ONES.
There is a canned collard greens version made by Glory foods that is out of this world with nice spices! I love it, not sure you can find it in Maine, but it's a very southern type of recipe. I used to heat it up with onions and cornbread and serve a little turkey ham with it.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did i see them at walmart, i just look glory canned products up, i have seen them somewhere,i think.
You may have. I thought they were a Southern thing but I've seen them at Walmart. These are the ones I really like the best:
Glory Foods - Seasoned Turnip Greens

Sometimes I'll buy fresh greens at the store, clean and rinse and then put them in a pressure cooker with a can of the seasoned Glory greens--aaaah, very good!

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Here in the south it's tradition to welcome in the New Year with black eyed peas, which bring good fortune if eaten on New Years Day. Hubby and I started eating them a couple of days early, hoping we would have an even better 2012! :crossfing Both of us happen to like them anyway!

I heard on Good Morning America this morning the Italians eat 12 grapes when the clock strikes midnight for good luck and fortune.

What are the traditions for New Years in your area of the world?
Im Italian and I dont eat grapes lol

My tradition is to drink, drink and drink some more until you cant see the TV straight :p. Everyone else in my city goes down to Niagara Falls for the huge party and to watch the ball drop

Heres a clip of last years. I have to deal with this every year..my poor dog and the fireworks :(

And a better view of over the Falls, across the way I see the Americans in NY have them going to

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you get down to Texas and visit I'll make sure to have them for one meal--but they probably don't go well with homemade pizza. Speaking of homemade pizza, I wonder if Phillyfisher has made any more pizza!

No pizza, we have been on a panini kick here. Wegmans Markets makes an awesome rosemary bread that makes fantastic paninis. New Years eve means surf and turf for us, followed by pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day. Now you have me thinking about a New Years Eve pizza! My favorite part about New Years Eve? Our 2 boys get excited about hanging out with Mom and Dad, spending time together cooking, talking and laughing. My mom and dad are big on black eyed peas. I did not like them as a kid, but probably would now.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
We do the grapes too, being Cuban and having lived in Spain. Twelve grapes which you begin to eat the last 60 seconds before midnight and you must have finished by midnight.

Personally, I've always had a tradition of homemade cinnamon rolls which I always served while watching the California Rose Parade. I'll skip the homemade ones this year since it's just me but I'll buy Pillbury Grands:D:D:D

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMG, thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot about the black-eyed peas. I make Hoppin' John every year. I can't believe I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. Going to get them cooking right now!

·
Javi's Mom
151 Posts
here in Portugal we do 12 raisins ( or grapes for the ones, like me who cant stand them lol ) with champagne, one at each bell toll of 12pm. Some people also sport brand new blue underpants ( not idea why lol ) or stand on top of chairs on one foot (right one )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts