Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My Golden Retriever which is 11 weeks old (12 pounds) that we have for almost 2 weeks now have had a diarrhea for couple of days after we try to feed him with Newman's Own canned food in addition to his dry food (Nutro Large breed puppy's food). Last two days his poop seems to be back to "normal" (we stopped with canned food immediately) however yesterday and today morning when he pooped at the very end there was something that appears to be a blood, there isn't a lot of it a few drops but that kind of makes me worried. Last saturday we took him for his first vet visit where they asked me to bring his morning poops along so they can test it, vet said he is fine and he was fine then but last two days we noticed that blood, it seem to be happening only in the morning, after that it seems to be fine (poop that is). Have anyone have any thoughts? Dog look and acts like a healthy puppy. It's a male.
Thanks a million
Greg

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would take him back to the vet to be on the safe side and take a new sample with you. With the little guys it could be several things, Coccidia or guardia or a virus. Better to be safe than sorry, especially with the weekend coming up. I would hate for it to become worse on the weekend and the vet wasnt open.

Welcome to the forum

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

I agree with BeauShel. Definitely see the vet and take a stool sample.
You can't be too careful with pups and she has a point you want to get it straightened out before the weekend.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It definitely sounds like either Giardia or Coccidia. I would get him into the vet ASAP since those things require antibiotic treatment and will usually only get worse without them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you give him rawhide? Zep did the same thing when he was little...just a tiny bit of blood in his poo. It was because of the rawhide. Little pieces can break off and cause little cuts in their intestines causing the blood.

I have no idea if you are giving him rawhide, but figured i'd put in my two cents.

Good luck! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts