Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gus didn't have a treat spot, or so I thought, till I saw him yawn really big the other day. I noticed a small black spot in the middle of his tongue, kinda towards the back. Do treat spots just all of a sudden appear, or are they there from the beginning? I'm hoping that's what it is and not something else I should be worried about.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
How old is Gus?

Both Jazz & Jules started off like small black dots and have grown over time. When I first saw Jazzy's I though she had gotten into a black marker! Hehehehe!!!

And sometime over the past coupe years Jazz has even grown another one way back on her tongue.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gus is two and a half. I had no idea treat spots could just appear and even move around! I'm glad to know that, otherwise I would have been thinking I was crazy..."I know that spot wasn't there yesterday!"

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Biscuit has huge treat spots but when he was little they weren't even there. They started as a freckle and grew from there. Recently I noticed that they have become even larger. Jack has one under his tongue that I didn't know was there until one day when he was laying on his back with his tongue hanging sideways out of his mouth, I saw it then. :p:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
What causes "treat spots"?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Danny grew his second one when he was 2. I even posted here because I was so worried about it just appearing. It's still there a year later.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady's didn't show up until he was about 5 months old.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Hmm,,I never heard of this before. I will have to check Riley when I get home and see if he has one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah i wouldn't worry about them. Scooby has had many "appear" and disappear over the years, but those does not seem to bother him.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
My first golden, Kody had them and so does Jester. They gradually appeared on both. When Kody's first showed up I thought he had chewed up a Sharpie! They usually start out small but you may not have noticed it early on because it's far back on the tongue. Jester has a patch of 3 way back and a patch that looks like a paw print at the front. When people see it they insist that he must have part Chow in him :confused:...I don't think so! Totally normal in goldens and they would be great identifiers (God forbid) your dog ever gets lost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts