Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wanted to say hello. This is a great site. I am new to golden retrievers. I have wanted one for about 15 years. My best bud (Black lab/Whippet Mix - Daisy) passed away a couple of months ago. My wife and are expecting twins in April, so I thought it would be a year or two before I filled that void. During the recent ice storms here our neighbors Golden ran into our house. We have seen the dog several times, and about stole him on a few occassions - they didn't seem to be the avid dog lovers we were. They have 5 young children, and live a very busy life. The dog just seemed a little neglected. His only exercise came from the short walk from the house to the tree they chained him to. We called them to let them know we had their dog (Max - beautiful, registered golden age 2). They came to get him, and said they wish they could just get rid of him??!!! My wife and I immediately responded with "we'll take him" He hadn't been brushed in about a year, and is a little overwieght from the lack of exercise. He was already great with kids, and housetrained - that was our biggest hesitation with a new dog.

We have had him for three weeks now, and he is the best behaved dog I have ever been around. I brush him often, got a furminator and love it. We have also been on a daily long walk, and I have a large fenced in yard to play in as well. We couldn't be happier with him. He already looks better (as do I - lost 10 pounds walking), and with several training sessions we quickly discovered we had a fast learner. I will get some picks of him up soon.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful match! Congratulations!

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Wow you are a hero for taking in Max!!
Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see pics!!:wave:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition!! It's amazing how someone can throw away a dog that is so amazing... but hey, lucky for you guys. :) Got any pictures of your new buddy Max?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your dog picked you out. What a great story. Looking forward to those promised pictures.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like everyone got a great deal out of this one!

Post pictures, please!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Congrats on the twins and the new pup! Welcome to the board... can't wait to see pics of your new addition.

I myself have Whippets and a Golden- and a baby coming any day.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
welcome to the forum and the world of goldens.
Congrats on the twins and hope you have been catching up on your sleep. LOL It sounds like you won the lottery in the golden coming your way. Bless you for speaking up and taking him. He sounds like a wonderful guy and you dont have to go thru all the puppy training especially having double diaper duty. Glad you joined us and hope to see pictures of your handsome boy.

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like Max knew what he was doing when he came to your house! I know you & your family will have your lives enriched by such a sweet, smart fella!

·
3 goldens
11,803 Posts
hello and welcome. what a great story! How lucky for you and for Max. He will help fill the empty spot in your heart and you will fill his with love.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts