Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the group, I am Lynn. I have a 9 year old female that tore a ligament in her knee (ACL) two weeks ago.

Vet said either surgery ($2400) or therapy. I opted for therapy that starting with a chiropractor and VOM therapy.

She seems to be doing a little better, but we must keep her quiet for 10 Weeks (easier said than done)

Anyone else have a golden with a torn ligament??:wave:

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I've never dealt with that but I did get terrified when I over-worked a physically out of shape Lucky during some water play and he had quite the on-going limp.

How did your Golden injure herself?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
not an uncommon injury in trial dogs... from what I understand, the surgery is vey successful... but I think you made the right decision considering the age of the dog.. that is a lot of money..

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Torn ACLs are a HUGE problem in American Pit Bull Terriers, and several of my APBT fosters have had torn ACLs. It's also common in Labradors. In the cases I have taken in, I have given six weeks of crate rest with leash walking only, and NO surgery. The dogs have turned out just fine, with moderate stiffness in older age.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I also think you made the right decision-not to have surgery. I always believe, if given a choice, to go with the least traumatic treatment. I hope it all works out well for you.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Hi and welcome. I had a lab female that blew out both knees. One at 9yrs and on at 11. I had surgery both times and the vet replaced the tendon with a teflon piece. She lived to be 17 and never had any further problems. My experience was that the first surgery was $200.00 and 2 years later only $250. Keep in mind that this was 1993 and 1995. Also I am in Pennsylvania.
The vet said she could go without the surgery and would surely develop arthritis, which she did anyway(another story there) and possibly if the tear was small, it could possibly shorten back up. Good luck what ever you decide to do.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts