Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and I am looking to purchase an English Cream Golden Retriever in the near future. I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of White Oak Golden Retrievers and have any feedback on them. I do want to purchase from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill. I am in VA if anyone knows of any reputable breeders in my area. I am willing to travel within a reasonable distance such as to GA, KY, WV, TN, NC etc. Thanks for your help. If anyone is interested, the website is whiteoakgoldenretrievers.com.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Welcome aboard. Good Luck on your search for your new furchild. There are lot of people here who know all the different breeders so I'm sure you'll get info. Being involved in rescue I can't tell you much about puppies and breeders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and nice to "meet" you.

I also want to add that the puppy really doesn't have to be an "English Cream" although I do really like the color of them as I prefer the lighter colors. What I am really looking for is a dog that is very laid back and gentle with also lots of personality. I am looking for a companion for my two sons ages 5 and 3 to grow up with and want a golden that will have the right tempermant with children. We have owned a golden in the past and he was just the most loving and obedient dog we have ever owned. He was just a true blessing to us. Unfortunately about 3 years ago he was stolen and we have never been able to find him. He was AKC and a "medium" golden. He never knew a stranger and we miss him terribly. We contacted the breeder that we got him from and she has since stopped her breeding program due to her age and just not physically being able to continue anymore. I would happily consider an American Golden, my preference though would be in the lighter color. I do know however, that is not the most important factor.

·
3 goldens
11,789 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Being in Gexas I am of no help as to breeders any where in your area.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! On first look at that breeder's website, I notice they charge more than double ($2000) for an "English Creme" puppy (There is no such thing as an English Creme... it is a marketing ploy to make people pay more money for a light colored Golden Retriever) than they do for an "American Golden". Honestly I would be inclined to stay away from this breeder.. for that, and a few other reasons.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum,
I would look at the http://www.grca.org/allabout/index.html it explains about the goldens and differences. It has a wealth of information. Any breeder that charges more for the color is not a breeder that I would go to. Goldens come in all different shades and should all be the same price. No matter what breeder you go with should have all their clearances on their heart,eye,elbow and hips. At the top of the page is a good puppy buyer checklist. It tells you what to look for from a breeder and also talks about the cream golden retrievers.

·
16,000 Posts
Just a quick look at the White Oak website shows that clearances are spotty, and are hips only. They also are breeding bitches before the age of 2 (both Mercy and Nell were bred at approx 18 months) so would not have had any clearances yet). Apparently they must feel that their "American" dogs don't need clearances at all, as none of the dogs they advertise as "American", including their "well known stud dog" Copper have any.

Pricing dogs according to color is an immediate turn off to me, even if clearances are in place. I'd take a pass.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Just want to say Hello. I'm not familiar with the Breeder but do know that a Golden is a Golden is a Golden and pricing for color is a questionable practice. The price mentioned is well above the price of a well bred Golden with all it's proper clearances too. If I were you, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Good Luck in your search! I'm sure others from the area will be able to give you some kennel names. In the meantime, contact your local Golden Retriever Club and ask for puppy referrals. Make sure that the breeder does hip, eye, elbow, thyroid clearances.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
HI and welcome.

When it comes to temperment no other breed can beat a golden. I can't help you with the breeder but there are alot of lighter (blonde) goldens. Check out the other sections of this forum there is a tremendous amount of information and great advice. Good luck.

v

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

:wave: Hi and thanks to everyone for all your very warm welcomes and your input. I will be sure to check out the information you all have shared with me. I really appreciate it. I know you all have said "double" the price. What is a good price to pay for a golden with all it's clearances? How old do they have to be to get clearances and how do they go about getting them? As you can probably tell, I am new to this but I want to do my research first, that is why I came here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts