Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sons 2.5 year old male golden has recently been placed with me, while my son is getting situated in graduate school. Moose has been with my son since birth. I always ask him how Moose is doing. It seems every time I talk with him Moose has had an occasional diarrhea episode (around twice a month). A few times in the apartment. Since living with me, he also has had episodes. Moose has been eating purina pro plan active dog (chicken) as an adult. I conversed with my vet and she suggested royal canine golden retriever. He has been on this particular food for three weeks and his poop is very soft. I need help! Shouldn’t his system have adapted to the new food in three weeks?? Is it the chicken? He does have itchy skin but no rash or dryness. I changed because of the occasional episodes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Your vet should be listen to, but upon 1st examination'; the contents of that food look very questionable to me.
Corn is listed in the first 5 ingredients and Wheat is listed a bit further down.
It is also quite possible that your dog doesn't do well with poultry..perhaps ask your vet about a non poultry alternative with NO CORN, NO WHEAT, and NO SOY!
Corn is for chickens..dogs want MEAT!

This may be of interest during your search:

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
Change in his routine could have some effect on him but he could also be having problems with the Chicken. My guys did not do well on Chicken. I tried several Sensitive Stomach formulas of dry food until I found one that worked for my guys. I feed Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, the Salmon Formula.

I also only give Salmon treats, I do occasionally give fresh fruits and veggies but no other table food.
If he has treats that are not salmon, he has problems.

You may want to consider trying the PPP SSS in salmon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts