Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon everyone. My name is Jorge and I would like to introduce myself, my wife Michele and our two Goldens: Athena and Leo. Both are full bred and just yesterday they had their first litter. Athena gave birth to twelve pups. Six girls and six boys. All twelve are healthy and very much active. Of course it's only been a day since they were born. Leo is a red golden while Athena is a creme. The litter seems to have a mixture of the two, but I am sure we will know more as they begin to grow.

I do have a question and maybe you nice folks can help. My Wife and I are new to this and would very much like to make sure that we have everything in order. One thing is, how do we obtain the AKC papers of the pups and is it possible to get copies of both Leo and Athenas paperwork? Second, when would be a good time to get the pups vaccinated? I'm sure I will have some more questions, but at the moment I am quite overwhelmed in a good way. :)

All your help will of course be most appreciated.

Thank you, Jorge and Michele. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Leo is gorgeous, where is he from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leo is gorgeous, where is he from?
Thank you. He is quite handsome. We purchased Leo approximately four years ago from one of my Wifes co workers. Her co worker bred quite a few litters, but I am afraid I am not sure where his blood line came from. We have his documentation somewhere. We did some remolding and boxed quite a bit up. Reason I was curious if we can obtain copies. Then I will know for sure. Sorry about that.

This link should help you. Registering a Litter Your dogs are very cute and I hope the pups continue to do well.
Thank for the link. I appreciate it and thank you for the compliment. :)

·
Premium Member
18,089 Posts
Just a heads up, you may get some pretty direct, and unhappy responses, but please hang in here, there is a wealth of information available from the board members here that you will benefit from if you are patient with the responses that tell you, you've really missed some very important steps in the breeding process.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a heads up, you may get some pretty direct, and unhappy responses, but please hang in here, there is a wealth of information available from the board members here that you will benefit from if you are patient with the responses that tell you, you've really missed some very important steps in the breeding process.
I understand and I appreciate it. By no means do we consider ourselves "professional" breeders. We would like to start and get as much information we can in order to insure a healthy parents and litter.

BTW: If you would be so kind, What steps are you referring to? Thank you. :)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I understand and I appreciate it. By no means do we consider ourselves "professional" breeders. We would like to start and get as much information we can in order to insure a healthy parents and litter.

BTW: If you would be so kind, What steps are you referring to? Thank you. :)
Reputable breeders go thru MANY steps. Here are a few:

1) Both Parents are atleast 2 years of age
2) Parents have Hips/Elbows clearances that are sent to OFA
3) Parents pass their eye cerf (done by an opthalmologisht) must be cerf'ed every year
4) Parents have a cardiac clearance (Board certified cardiologist)
5) Compete in either conformation/obedience/agility/hunt/tracking (this way they are proving themselves worthy of being bred)

Most breeders have their litters sold before the puppies are even born. Some have waiting lists.

They look at the whole picture! As far as clearance back 5 generations, structure, why would "that" particular stud complement the bitch, longevity, cancer

It to improve the breed and trying to make better!

These are just a few things breeders look at. "Reputable Breeders" not back yard breeders.

·
Kate
21,186 Posts
I certainly hope that people step in and offer help on what to do next, for the sake of those 12 puppies. I know there is a lot that breeders must do in those first 7 weeks to ensure sound and healthy puppies.

This is heartbreaking to me because your goldens are beautiful but I do think you should have gotten the paperwork together, had both parents checked out thoroughly (see information on the Golden Retriever Club of America about clearances), and had at least a few thoroughly screened homes lined up before arranging the breeding.

Please, please don't breed these dogs again if you haven't done all of the above.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I would try to find those papers and see what the lines are behind them. Did you have a purpose for breeding your two together? How much are you charging for these cuties?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Most breeders start deworming at 2 weeks of age. They start their first vaccinations around 7 weeks of age. Opinions differ here. Make sure they have a good quality check up from the vet before leaving for their forever homes.

Reactions: spruce

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reputable breeders go thru MANY steps. Here are a few:

1) Both Parents are atleast 2 years of age
2) Parents have Hips/Elbows clearances that are sent to OFA
3) Parents pass their eye cerf (done by an opthalmologisht) must be cerf'ed every year
4) Parents have a cardiac clearance (Board certified cardiologist)
5) Compete in either conformation/obedience/agility/hunt/tracking (this way they are proving themselves worthy of being bred)

Most breeders have their litters sold before the puppies are even born. Some have waiting lists.

They look at the whole picture! As far as clearance back 5 generations, structure, why would "that" particular stud complement the bitch, longevity, cancer

It to improve the breed and trying to make better!

These are just a few things breeders look at. "Reputable Breeders" not back yard breeders.
Thank you! That helps alot and I appreciate the information.

I certainly hope that people step in and offer help on what to do next, for the sake of those 12 puppies. I know there is a lot that breeders must do in those first 7 weeks to ensure sound and healthy puppies.

This is heartbreaking to me because your goldens are beautiful but I do think you should have gotten the paperwork together, had both parents checked out thoroughly (see information on the Golden Retriever Club of America about clearances), and had at least a few thoroughly screened homes lined up before arranging the breeding.

Please, please don't breed these dogs again if you haven't done all of the above.
I understand your concerns, but you have nothing to worry about. Both dogs are very much loved and well taken care of. They are constantly checked out at the vet and have no issues. The puppies are in good hands and will receive the same amount of love and attention. :)

I completely agree with you about screening potential owners. I see to many mistreated and abandoned animals and it kills me to see this. Please believe me when I say that my Dogs are very much loved and well cared for. I'm sure that there was once a time that most on here were novices and took the time with patience to learn what they know today. :)

I would try to find those papers and see what the lines are behind them. Did you have a purpose for breeding your two together? How much are you charging for these cuties?
We were hoping to wait to breed them simply because we wanted to gather everything listed above and ensure that everything was in order. Accidents do happen and here we are today. We simply would like to be in a position to do this right if there is a next time. As far as what will be charging for these cuties is yet to be determined. I'm not sure what would be fair?

Most breeders start deworming at 2 weeks of age. They start their first vaccinations around 7 weeks of age. Opinions differ here. Make sure they have a good quality check up from the vet before leaving for their forever homes.
Excellent! Thank you very much.

BTW: Everyone can rest assured that Mom, Dad and all 12 puppies will and do receive the proper treatment to insure they are healthy. I humbly ask that everyone be patient with me. I wouldn't be on here asking questions if I didn't care!:)

·
Premium Member
18,089 Posts
If you have not already, you need to take mom and puppies to the vet for an initial exam. Ask the vet for a schedule of worming and vaccinations.

Since there are 12 puppies, you will need to be monitoring and making sure they are all getting to nurse sufficiently, you may want to rotate groups of puppies if mommy is not doing it herself.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
ok I am just going to add one thing...

folks who are telling you to take puppies to the vet for their initial exam obviously aren't breeders... none of us and I mean none of us take puppies to the vet for an initial exam... the last place in the world you want a litter of neonates is at the vets office... unless there is a problem those puppies do not go to the vet for an initial exam.

I have seen that mentioned time and time again and I am honestly not sure where that comes from but ask any breeder and the last place we want our pups is at a vets office...

as far as worming and vaccinations talk to your vet or your mentor....

but no to the initial vet appt. that shouldnt happen until they get their first set of shots... and even then you can give those shots yourself if you are so inclined... and if you go to the vet make it the first appt. of the day... or better yet have the vet come to you

my only last word will be
that this should have been researched and figured out before the pups were born or better yet before you decided to put out a plank and call yourself a breeder

·
Premium Member
18,089 Posts
ok I am just going to add one thing...

folks who are telling you to take puppies to the vet for their initial exam obviously aren't breeders... none of us and I mean none of us take puppies to the vet for an initial exam... the last place in the world you want a litter of neonates is at the vets office... unless there is a problem those puppies do not go to the vet for an initial exam.

I have seen that mentioned time and time again and I am honestly not sure where that comes from but ask any breeder and the last place we want our pups is at a vets office...

as far as worming and vaccinations talk to your vet or your mentor....

but no to the initial vet appt. that shouldnt happen until they get their first set of shots... and even then you can give those shots yourself if you are so inclined... and if you go to the vet make it the first appt. of the day... or better yet have the vet come to you

my only last word will be
that this should have been researched and figured out before the pups were born or better yet before you decided to put out a plank and call yourself a breeder
I agree with you for people like you, and other experienced breeders, who know what they are doing and can identify issues with puppies without the aid of a vet. For this person, the vet needs to look at the puppies because he is not experienced and has no idea what he's doing or what to look for to identify problems in the puppies, ie. cleft palatte, umbilical hernia, etc. The dam needs to be checked out by a vet to ensure there is no retained placenta, retained puppy, or uterine infection, mastitis, etc., because again this individual does not know what to look for.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.