Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to owning my very first Golden retriever, and new to this forum. He is a little over a year old. I’ve had him sense December. It’s taking time to adjust of course. He likes to chew things and eat things so I’ve had to crate train him. It has not been easy but he is doing pretty well. I’ve always had little dogs so this is an adjustment for me. The house training has been tough, but he’s getting better and better. He’s so handsome and loves my 20 year old son, and 11 year old daughter! Lots of baths with lots of hair haha! He loves to walk but is so so nervous walking in my neighborhood. I’m working on this with him. I will add a picture of him. He’s an English cream golden. This is Romeo...

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
I moved Romeo's thread into this section-

I have adopted two young adults at the age of 2, my girl had never lived in a house before, it took about a week working with her on house training, after that she stopped having accidents in the house. My current boy that I adopted at 2 also, was house trained, he's been an exception when it comes to a Rescue. He didn't need any time to adjust, he fit in immediately. He was house trained, needed lots of exercise though. He's the easiest dog I've ever had, he's 11 now.

I have found with the two I adopted, they required a lot of exercise-walking and physical aerobic activity such as playing ball in the yard where they can run or swimming. They both have done well with a set routine too.

I have never had to crate my current boy, he is very good left out and has never torn up anything. My girl had to be crated because she would tear things up......for her own safety, I always crated her whenever I was going to be gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww 2 Goldens! Love it! We have been on so many walks. He doesn’t like cars at all which is a good thing but immediately pulls me away from them as if they are coming to get him. (They are parked on my street) The park is much better for him. He likes walking much better there. I’m hoping eventually the picking up things in his mouth will stop soon. I tell him no, and he usually drops it. Thanks for the info. It gives me hope that eventually things will get better!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aww 2 Goldens! Love it! We have been on so many walks. He doesn’t like cars at all which is a good thing but immediately pulls me away from them as if they are coming to get him. (They are parked on my street) The park is much better for him. He likes walking much better there. I’m hoping eventually the picking up things in his mouth will stop soon. I tell him no, and he usually drops it. Thanks for the info. It gives me hope that eventually things will get better!
Hi:
You have a retriever dog there, and most do exactly that..They retrieve. A puppy "feels out" everything with his/her mouth, so what you are seeing is natural for a Golden (Not an expert at all, but I study alot).
I recommend not using NO for this, but teaching the command DROP! My 9.5 month old drops anything on command (usually..LOL) except paper which both she and her mama have in common.
Enjoy your new friend!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts