Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. We recently adopted a 9 month old, 50lb, purebred golden retriever we found on craigslist. His name was Napoleon but we renamed him Buster. He is not fixed as of yet but we plan on having it done in the next month. He is registered with United if that means anything. We don't really care about that, we just fell in love with him. When we found him we were actually looking for a great dane, still not sure how we ended up with a golden. Must of been fate. We have not had a big dog for quite a while, in fact my husband is not really a dog person and my last big dog was a dane in highschool, 10+ years ago. For the most part he is doing well. The couple we got him from was older (60's or 70's) and said the reason they had to give him up was that there daughter was moving in with an infant and they were too scared of him hurting them. Honestly, I think he was more than they could handle. They didn't walk him on a leash or take him places because they said he pulled too much and they were afraid he would knock them over or bolt. I got a gentle lead collar and that issue was taken care of immediatley. He walks on the leash just fine now.

He has detroyed/chewed a few things but we got a crate for when we are away and that has gone away now as well. Where we are having trouble is jumping, mouthing, playing and chasing our cats. We ignore him, cross our arms and turn our backs when he jumps up but he doesn't seem to be stopping. I read not to push him down that he could take that as playing. Any other ideas? He also mouths everyone including my 4 year and his friends and it hurts. They get upset and run and he thinks they are playing an gets even more excited then knocks them down. We been trying to explain to our son not to run, jump, or hold your arms up when he mouths cause Buster thinks your playing, but honestly Buster is the one that needs to stop the behavior. I'm not sure what to do with this situation at all. He, however, does not mouth our 1 year old. He seems to know that he's too young but thinks anyone older than 4 is fair game. He doesn't "play" much. I don't think he was allowed to be a puppy at his previous owners. We are trying to get him to relax and play but now he mouths everytime. If we play catch he takes whatever it is and goes off and starts chewing it. He won't play tug with us, he will however play tug with our two other dogs (They are 10lb pappilions). I'm not sure how to get him to play with us without encouraging the mouthing. He also chases our cats. I've been stoping him, waiting for him to calm down and then praising him when he calm and leaves them alone. However the very next time he is chasing them again. Our other dogs and child get involved sometimes and then it's mayham.
I can't explain to the cats that if you don't run they won't chase you. My oldest cat is oblivious to the dogs and just walks around calm and they never bother him. We actually got him because of our boys. My oldest asked us if we could get him a dog he could play with cause my papps aren't really "players". We went with an older puppy cause honestly we just didn't have the time for a puppy puppy. Overall he's a good dog and adjusting well. If we can get these small issues taken care of he will be a great dog! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Sorry I cant help but thought it funny you wanted a Great Dane I have one she is almost 10 1/2, at the time I was looking for a Scottie as a companion to for my Pointer how far off the scale is that.
I am sure others will help with your problem

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hello. Where we are having trouble is jumping, mouthing, playing and chasing our cats. We ignore him, cross our arms and turn our backs when he jumps up but he doesn't seem to be stopping. I read not to push him down that he could take that as playing. Any other ideas?
Congratulations on your Golden boy! Wow, you have many issues of concern. I'll address the jumping one.

You are correct about turning your back and not rewarding him with attention when he jumps. Yes, that is a correction for the behavior. I am not a handler or trainer (my disclaimer)... but, I think you need more proactive measures to get his behavior under control.

Have him sit for EVERYTHING--sit before he gets his food, before he gets a toy, before he goes in or out of doorways, before you touch him, pet him, or speak to him. Have EVERYONE in your household treat him the same. Do not allow him to place a paw on you when he sits, not even his paw over your foot. The contact is the reward, and this will escalate to jumping paws up on you again.

You have many areas of training to work on. Be patient, consistent, and kind. Take him to a training class. Enjoy him! Again, congratulations on your new pup!

BTW - Please post pictures! We all love pictures!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
just hi from another happy owner of a Craiglist goldie -- let's see a pic of that guy!

think your son is very lucky to be getting a golden as his buddy

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and welcome,
It sounds like he would really benefit by an obiedence class that trains with postive reinforcements. I would also put a leash on him when he is in the house for awhile so when he goes to jump up you can have him sit and you stand on the leash to keep him from jumping. Also if you can find some high value treats like little cut up hot dogs or cheese and work with him one on one. When there are kids over for right now as a big puppy, you might consider crating him when they come in and then let them feed him little treats when you get him to sit and stay. With time it will get better. Good luck and now we want to see pictures. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obediance Classes

Yeah, we've kinda come to the conclusion that he needs obedience training as well. Our other dogs are small so they have gotten away with things, like not following basic commands, that a big dog can't. We are signed up for a class that starts on the April 19th. It's a basic class so I'm not sure if the instructor will be able to help with the issues we are having. I think some of it is due to his age as well. I'm thinking he will grow out of the mouthing issue? I hope? He is a good dog and I know with a little hard work we will work through all his issues. He's more than worth it!!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
How strange, We wanted a great dane also..We had a breeder picked out "WONDERFUL breeder", on a waiting list with them, & was awaiting a dane puppy late this year lol... AND THEN....Jake ended up with us lol :) I couldn't have asked for a better pup though!! :) "We will be adding our Great Dane in 2-3years." :D
Welcome to GRF BTW, & your Buster is a beautiful boy!!
The others have offered you some good advice, I think an Obedience class is a GREAT idea! :) It's good for getting him Socialization with people and other dogs, & some training and good tips.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Obiedence class is for any age dog and my rescue highly recommends it for all new dog owners. It helps with bonding and teaching each other.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When Rummy jumped at first (when he was little,) we pushed him down in a firm way - but not harsh - and said "OFF NO" very firmly. He stopped and never does it now.

Because your Golden is older and has been jumping for some time, it may be harder to work out.

The whole turning your back thing and folding your arms, I dunno that method doesn't work with Rummy for physical actions, only works with him for barking or whining for attention.

Don't know about advice for the cats, good luck with that one :eek: He's a good looking boy btw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts