Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New to Golden's

372 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  JerseyChris
Hi all, I am new to the Golden Retriever breed and have always owned Aussies (great dogs), I have an 11 week Golden now as my wife and I decided that we have always liked them and wanted one for our family. To preface this, I am a golf course Superintendent and my dog gets to live the best life and come to work every day with me. Running around, chasing geese, being the course mascot, keeping the staff morale up. I am just curious if you have any tips or tricks to share with a first time Golden owner that may be unique to the breed. So far, she is very good off leash, sits, follows me around most of the day and has been about 90% success rate with potty training. Thanks in advance, this is 'Birdie'

Attachments

See less
Reactions: CharSid
Hi all, I am new to the Golden Retriever breed and have always owned Aussies (great dogs), I have an 11 week Golden now as my wife and I decided that we have always liked them and wanted one for our family. To preface this, I am a golf course Superintendent and my dog gets to live the best life and come to work every day with me. Running around, chasing geese, being the course mascot, keeping the staff morale up. I am just curious if you have any tips or tricks to share with a first time...
See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Birdie is soooo cute!

I'm sure people will chime in soon, but I encourage you to take a look around the Forum (especially the Golden Retriever Puppy (up to 1 year) subforum. as there is ton of great information here! If you are used to Aussies, you will probably be fine with a Golden. Exercise is the big thing, and it sounds like with your work, you've got that covered! Goldens are also a very mouthy breed (they're retrievers after all) so read up on the "land shark phase" and encourage your pup to chew on only appropriate items. Also be aware that the off leash skills may deteriorate as she gets older - right now she's a baby and inclined to stay close, but as she gets older she'll become more independent and you may need to do some formal training and/or make good use of a long line to make sure she continues to come when called.

One note as well... do some research on what chemicals are used on the golf course grass. There is some evidence that some lawn care products (fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, etc.) may be connected to the development of cancer. Cancer is already a "problem" in the breed - no sense in engaging in activities that raises the risk any further!

We'll look forward to more pics of and stories about Birdie!

· Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on your new golden! Puppy time is short so make sure you take lots of photos and videos because they grow so quickly.

I would say I loved my time with my first golden (and first ever dog) Toby when he was a puppy. Training was quick and fun because he was very food motivated. If Birdie is food motivated too then I'm sure you'll have the best time as well.

If you've had experience with raising Aussies I don't think you'll have trouble with a Golden. I would say to spend lots of time with your puppy to build that bond, but it seems you're already doing that. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts