Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We will be picking up our first golden puppy at the end of March - we're so excited. Our Wheaten Terrier passed away in November. We have always admired goldens. I have researched and decided this is the pet for us. We're getting a boy, born 2/6/08. Live in Long Island, New York. Any advice for the "homecoming"?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new golden to come!! my advice? take TONS of pictures... and then come post them here so we can fawn over your new baby ;)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Get lots of sleep before he gets there!! :D No, I'm not kidding! You also want to make sure you've gotten all of the essentials: crate (if you're crate training, which I do recommend), leash, collar, toys, bowls, food (the breeder may give you a small supply of what he or she has been feeing. You may decide to change the food though, and can use what the breeder provided to ease the transition). Go ahead a pick up a brush/comb, nail clippers, and other grooming supplies. You want to start working on this from the get go with your dog, even if there isn't much formal grooming to be done. Handle his paws, tail, and ears multiple times daily... it will make things MUCH easier down the road. Ummm... that's all I have at the moment... others will have more, I"m sure! Good luck... can't wait to see pictures of your new pup!!

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your advice....I figured we'd start shopping this weekend. I'll take Julie's list along with me. What size crate do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Thanks for all of your advice....I figured we'd start shopping this weekend. I'll take Julie's list along with me. What size crate do you recommend?
Well, that can be a little tricky. When housebreaking a pup through crate training, you want them to have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down comfortably, but not much more. You don't want them to be able to potty in one part of the crate and lie in another. That doesn't teach anything. At the same time, nobody wants to buy 4 different crates as the dog grows. My suggestion would be to buy one that will be big enough for the dog when he is fully grown, but you'll need to be able to partition it off in some way while he is small and learning. Some crates come with divider panels and are ideal... but if you can't find them, or they are out of your price range, then get creative. I once used a plastic milk crate to block off the crate for my old roommate's dog. It got chewed on a little, but nothing major and it worked well enough to keep him from going in the crate.

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Ditto to what Julie said. Dont forget to take lots of pictures because he will grow like a weed and before you know he will be grown up.

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Good luck with your new baby boy! Happy to have you as a new member of the Forum!

Sorry to hear about your Wheaten dying. :( They are beautiful dogs...

·
3 goldens
11,697 Posts
Well, since you have had a dog, you probably know most of this. But, here goes. Be sue to keep electrical cords hidden and out of reach. Some dogs just love to chew on them for some reason. Be sure to put sox, underweqr etc right into hamper. that is something else dogs love to "eat, and it seems goldens are among the worst at doing that. Also, anything else that they can chew on that is dangerous.

Be prepared to laugh a lot at the funny antics, to get wet kisses, and to be loved totally by that little fur bundle.

I would also take him to my vet first thing for check and get his file started.

By the way, I am Sandra, we live on the Texas coast and are bossed by 8 1/2 year old kayCee, a full golden, and Honey, a 6 year old adopted golden mix. We got KayCee and her littermate, Hunter, at 8 weeks--he is the one in my avatar. I lost him 4 years ago this pat oct. to an adverse reaction to the 6 month heartowmr preventative that was on the market for aboug 3 years. It was great--for me--having the pups at the same time and since i didn't work, was here with them all the time so they wre a joy. Were alos extremely good pups, maybe because they had each other.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I already told my 21 year old son to start picking up underwear and socks. We decided on the name Benny. We've seen pictures of the two boys in this litter, the breeder pointed out which one will most likely be ours, the other is going to a show home. Our last dog was a female, we felt we wanted different this time. What can anyone tell me about the difference between male and female (other than the obvious ones)?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum - looks like you got some really good advice already. I wish I could tell you more about the difference with males and females, but I've always had females and Dax is our first male - since he's only 10 weeks old, I can't say that I can tell much difference yet :p:

Tiffany

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Welcome to you and your pup to be. :wave: I have only had females of my own so I am not much help with the male/female differences.

One thing about puppy proofing... If you have a fenced yard where the pup will go, puppy proof it too. Check all the fencing thoroughly; if there are gaps at the gates, add something temporary to make them narrower; if you have flowerbeds and use fertilizer or other chemical products on them, install the cheap green kind of fencing. Be careful using any kind of chemicals on your lawn. Do not leave pup unattended in the yard; they are quick and can get into spaces you would not imagine. Flem was our second pup and we had done the rounds before bringing her home, felt pretty good about the set-up... it took her less than an hour to find the only place we had forgotten (our first pup never even thought to go investigate there). She squeezed herself between the side of a shed and the kennel fencing. I just had time to dive for a quick puppy retrieve. Needless to say, another piece of green fencing went right in that gap.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Great advice from everybody so far. Congratulations on the new family member and condolences on your loss. Just make sure to have a digital camera with a LOT of memory and shoot away all the time--they grow so darn fast.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Seems you haven't gotten much on the difference between males and females, so I'll try and give some of my observations. My family has always owned female goldens, but when I decided to keep one from our last litter I kept a male. So my observations are based purely on this one boy... and may not be entirely accurate (I like disclaimers... LOL :doh:) Jersey is much more "cuddley" than the girls. They all like all the petting they can get, but he would much rather be not only in your lap, but melded into your skin! He's a complete velcro dog... but falls short of what I would call "needy." He has a much goofier personality than the girls and is constantly cracking me up with his antics. Many on the forum have put it this way: The girls are constantly saying "Love me, love me, love me," whereas the boys say "I love you, I love you, I love you." That's certainly been the case with my boy! He is always incredibly eager to please, which has made him a joy to train. When it comes down to it, male or female, you really can't go wrong with a golden... but I think you'll really enjoy the experience of owning a big, goofy boy!

Julie and Jersey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts