Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Let me introduce myself -- I am Abby (my friends call me ABS) and my family and I recently brought our new little bundle of joy home. "Jake" was named by my 5 year old son who is totally in love with him already! Jake is super sweet, totally rambunctious and a wonderful chewer...oh and he totally loves to go potty in my house :doh: But we are learning...we have only had him for a week and I can tell he is pretty smart! I am looking forward to getting to know you all and your GR family...and I am sure I will have a TON of questions! I have never owned a GR before...but have wanted one since I was young. This will be my first long haired pet...and I do have some questions about grooming..and how early I should start sending Jake so he gets used to being groomed.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Daily brushing will not only keep shed hair to a minimum, but they LOVE it!

I've only had golden rescues and not puppies, so I can't answer how soon to start going to the groomer. They need a bath at least once a month. Under that fur is skin that needs good care. Good quality dog shampoo like an oatmeal base is soothing.

They need their nails clipped too so they don't grow really long. Your vets office might do that for free if you drop in. When their nails grow the quick grows too and it can get cut into if they grow too long. You should keep up with that.

I like giving my dog a bath. He may not always relish jumping in the tub at first, but once I'm rubbing dog shampoo into him he's ALL about getting a bath. Two big beach towels and one for the floor. Towel dry them well (don't forget the ears and bottom), then blow dry them on low heat to get the rest when it's cold.

Just a little info if you don't want to go to the groomer every time. Congrats on Jake. He's really cute!

I've been to Okinawa. Music with the USO. We played every post there. Your boy must be buzzing over his puppy :)

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some more shots of Jake (Pic heavy)

Thanks for the advice about brushing...I have been doing that everyday since we brought him home and he still wants to bite the brush :) I gave him a bath the other day and he did good, I just let him air-dry the rest of the way....I have not introduced the dryer yet...:eek:

This last one is Jakes BFF Izzy --- its more of a love/hate relationship LOL

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy's dad -- do you play the music? what kind? We love Okinawa --- but are so ready to leave...we are hoping for Europe next we leave Aug/Sept this year! Logan loves his puppy...so much in fact that he gets tears in his eyes when we put Jake in the kennel at night and when we leave for work...LOL

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Andy's dad -- do you play the music? what kind? We love Okinawa --- but are so ready to leave...we are hoping for Europe next we leave Aug/Sept this year! Logan loves his puppy...so much in fact that he gets tears in his eyes when we put Jake in the kennel at night and when we leave for work...LOL
Hi there. My career has spanned the full spectrum of styles, from tours with rock, country, and R&B artists to orchestra and thousands of recording session as a studio musicianl. Currently I'm mostly writing and producing music and doing some film scoring. The days I spent in Okinawa were in the mid 1970's. Small world story: Christmas Day of that year we played on Diego Garcia, then just a tiny outpost in the middle of the Indian Ocean with 100 SeaBees and 6 officers and millions of coconut crabs. Believe it or not, one of the SeaBees was a guy I grew up a few houses from. Small world!! We were both glad to see someone from home.

There's nothing like a boy and a dog. I'm really happy for you all. The pictures say it all. So cute. :)

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Very cute pup! Goldens are the most loyal & loving dogs I've ever seen. If you don't already have one I recomend a "slicker"brush (short bristels curved on the ends) it really helps get the shedding hair from the undercoat.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jake

Jake is such an adorable pup!!
Like dborgers, I've had two rescue Goldens, never had a puppy Golden Retriever, but the rescue kids were GREAT!!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Welcome! What a cute puppy! (and family!)

The biting of the brush will get better in time. Keep practicing and trying as best you can. We all were new golden owners at one time or another, so ask questions! How else do we learn?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome Abby, Jake and Family :wave:

Love the pics! Jake looks like he fits perfectly. The one on the slide is my fav! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jake is adorable as is your whole family. For biting on the brush, we gave Bentley something else to chew (deer antler, bully stick, etc.) then I would proceed to brush. Worked like a charm. I've also seen people say they put a blob of peanut butter on the fridge door and while Jake licks you groom. Enjoy your new baby.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Welcome welcome, hes gorgeous. Totally agree about the boy and dog thing, my son and our first GR were the best of friends and it broke my heart watching him hold her as she was put to sleep as a part of him died with her at that moment as it did with me too. She was fourteen and a half so they had many happy years together and I hope your son and this lovely pup do too. Its a really very special bond :)
Definately give Jake something interesting to do whilst you groom him and have a word for grooming that you use just before starting and a place. I am owned by Chester and he immediately leaps up onto a chair even if theres no table to get onto as soon as I say brush. He really loves it and its a special close time for us. Be sure to reward him too all the time hes following instruction whilst you groom. Think 'whats in it for Jake?' and if theres nothing then you need to be sure there will be,..thats nis motivation and reward. I dont like the furminator personally, a good rake, slicker and soft brush will do all the dead fur removing, dematting and shining you need without risk of damage. I know some do use it and like it so its a personal preference.
Enjoy your pup..they grow so fast!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Abby, congratulations on adding Jake to your adorable family. A word of caution about the Furminator. It can actually damage Jake's coat, as well as irritate his skin if you go over the same spot more than once or twice. I would get and use regular good grooming tools and only use the Furminator once his adult coat is in, and only when you need to get out a ton of undercoat. If he's too wiggly and bitey when you're brushing, smear a streak of peanut butter on the outside of your fridge and brush while he's licking the PB off!

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More shots of Jake -- pic heavy

Thanks for all the welcomes!! We appreciate it!! I have learned so much about GR just in the short time we have been on this forum already :) I am adding some new pictures if Jake...I have a ton already...these are my fave so far! He is 10 weeks old this past friday!

Jake apparently thought today was a good day for a dive...:)

Yelling at me for taking more pictures

Helping me with the laundry...such a good boy LOL :D

I told you he hates the "brush"

Jake...give me the brush!! What brush..?!?!

RRAAAWWRRR!!!

My sweet boy 10 weeks old

1 - 20 of 26 Posts