Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Owner of 3 dogs...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
My golden girl is Abby and she is a 4 year old doll. She is one of the best things that has ever happened to me and to our family. She is a big girl and an absolute sweetheart, but she is having a rough time right now with hypothyroidism (or so the vet says). She has lost almost all of her hair and her skin is flaking ever where. I am very worried about her although she is not in pain and still has a tremendous appetite. We give her theorzine(sp?) once a day at breakfast and she has been taking for 5-6 weeks now. She is still enjoying her walks but seems to lay around alot. Her coat is dull and lifeless, what's left of it. She used to have a thick, rich coppery coat with beautiful feathering on her legs and tail. Her tail was so thick and now barely has any hair on it.When she was in the light or sunshine her coat used to sparkle like her eyes. A friend of mine who is a cardiologist by profession, says her coat will come back in 3-4 months. Is this true? Does anyone know. Abby also had a severe yeast infection in her ear that caused her to have balance problems and she tilted her to the side for almost a month. After heavy antibiotic treatment and ear drops, the yeast was cleared up and she is almost back to normal except for the thyroid issue. Help me please. Am I getting good medical advice about Abby and is she going to get better????????:help!:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hello and welcome! From a human who takes thyroid medicine....YES, once she is balanced out on the meds she will improve:) Sometimes it takes a lot of dose adjustments before they get it right. Her thyroid, being underactive, isn't telling the rest of her body to grow hair (and less to no skin oils either) and there can be overweight problems too. Are they checking her blood levels to make sure she's on the right dose? Right now you may want to add a fish or salmon oil cap to her food to help her coat and skin (you can use human grade from Walmart or search Google for canine specific ones) and try a shampoo/conditioner for her skin. I love this brand for shampoo and lusterizer:
Clean Run Productions LLC: Miracle Coat Leave-In Conditioner & Lusterizer Spray
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Hugs to Abby.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Welcome aboard! You are going to find a lot of good times and good advice on this forum :)

What you are describing is pretty much text book for low thyroid, including the ear problem. The head tilt sounds like the remnant of vestibular syndrome, which we see often in older goldens. It often disappears once the inner ear problem is resolved.

I am a little curious about the medication you are giving for her thyroid. I have always used soloxine, given twice daily and have had great results with it. I am surprised you have not seen some improvement in her yet, but each dog is different and finding the right dose can sometimes be a challenge.

Here is some information on thyroid issues:

The Golden Retriever Club of America

Thyroid Diseases: Hypothyroidism in Dogs

Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid-Florida

Years and years ago there was a column in the Golden Retriever News about treating thyroid, and the author noted that there was a definite difference in generic and name brand treatment for thyroid. This was probably 20 years ago though, so things could have changed ;)

Anyway, once the right dosage is determined for Abby, you will see your old girl back :) I have seen it happen many, many times!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Years and years ago there was a column in the Golden Retriever News about treating thyroid, and the author noted that there was a definite difference in generic and name brand treatment for thyroid. This was probably 20 years ago though, so things could have changed ;)
Great links! And yes, before the FDA upped the regs on generics, they were only required to be 75% as effective as brand name. It's 99% now.
She may be giving thyroxine or Levo-thyroxine...that's what my fox terrier was on about 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You've gotten some great advice so far. I agree that fish oil caplets can help for the dry skin. Petsmart or any similar store will have something you can use. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you with us. Looks like you've received some good advice.

·
3 goldens
11,784 Posts
We have gone the thyroid route twice. First, it was our first golden, Scooter and when he was 4 he suddenly ballooned up over night it seemed, he didn't have much energy, his fur started getting thin and coarse and dull. It didn't take long once he was put on soloxine to bring him back to his old self.

The 2ed one came as a shock. Buck was full brother, later litter to Scooter. Two years ago at age 10 we had a full blood panel done on him prre dental and his thyroid was so low he might not have come out of it had he been put under. HE HAD NEVER SHOWN A SINGLE SYMPTON OF THYROID TROUBLE. No weight gain, beautiful thick silky fur, ton of energy--always trotted, never walked. I don't know who was the most surprised, us or the vet. A year later his had to be upped from .8 tab twice a day to 1 1/2 .8 twice a day. We just lost that precious old man on May 15 at age 12. he had just had his blood panel done about 5 weeks before and he was doing great, but it seems a heart attack was the cause of his death.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I am Sandra, live on the Texas coast and we are loved by KayCee who will be 8 on Aug. 19, and our adopted golcen mix, Honey who will be 6 on Dec. 7. Since she was right at 1 when we adopted her, we made it her official 1st birthday as well as adoption day.

·
Owner of 3 dogs...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took Abby to vet yesterday and he took blood again (TSH) and will have results tomorrow. Gave her dermcaps for her coat, a multi vitamin and will adjust Thyroxine if labs indicate the need. Also started her on Glucosamine Chondroitin. Hopefully all this will help her.......Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement for me and my golden girl Abby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts