Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Kim. I have 4 kids (5 if you include my husband), ages 3 1/2 to 8, a cat, and just yesterday got a wonderful Golden Retriever. His new name is Maximus (Max), he is 10 months old, and such a good boy. His previous owners seem to have not treated him very well - we are his 3rd home in his short little life, and this will be his last. I don't understand why his previous people wanted to get rid of him. He is about 15-20 pounds underweight (so sad), and the last people were feeding him adult dog food of a very poor quality. So we have him back on large breed puppy food, feeding him three times a day to get him used to eating enough again.

He is not our first dog, but he is our first dog with kids. This will be an adventure, and it seems to have started out well. He does not have terrible manners or horrible behavior issues. He has a fear of being punished, we'll have to get past that and get him to trust that we will never treat him like that again.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here. We'll be here often, looking at posts and getting advice and ideas.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Kim and thank you so much for rescuing Maximus. I'm sure you'll find tons of useful info and really nice people here. Enjoy the adventure and post pictures when you get a chance (we love pictures) :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome to you and your gorgeous Max!
Wishing you all the best as you fatten him up ( just enough :) ) and let him find out what a good life is all about.
Our GR is on her third home with us too - THIRD TIME'S A CHARM :)

Enjoy all that he will bring to your family and hope the forum helps you a lot

Yarra

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for rescuing. There are some awesome threads on getting fearful dogs to come back out of their shells, and definitely start a Max-specific thread if you want to bounce ideas off some of the highly knowledgeable folks here on the forum.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,777 Posts
Hi Kim, welcome to you and Max, he's beautiful and so lucky to have found you. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of him in the future.

I found your fifth child comment funny.........

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi and welcome! There is nothing quit like taking a rescue dog and seeing them blossom before your eyes. Thank you so much for taking Max in to your lives. I would love to see some pictures of him.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Congratulations to you and your family...I hope you have many happy years together! Welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts