Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning...so glad to find this forum. We have a new puppy who is 10 weeks old and we are having a lot of fun with him. We are almost 100% potty trained and he is doing really well in the crate.

My question is this. We are feeding him Eukanuba LB puppy food and while he is thriving on it, he also is experiencing roughly 5 stools a day. Is this normal? He also has a lot of gas it seems with this food. I was on a website that rated Eukanuba as a 2 star dog food (with 6 being the highest quality) and I am curious what you all think. The breeder recommended this food and I may try to switch to different brand. Also...just after he eats, he seems to get an itchy face and has to itch it for quite awhile afterwards (we had to put a large rock in his food to slow his eating down...he was eating too quickly and puking).

Have the majority of you had much luck with Eukanuba? Is 5 stools a day normal? We had a 8 year old Golden that we had to put to sleep this summer due to cancer and he didn't have that many stools a day - but then again, I don't remember how many times he went as a puppy. I spoke with the vet and she wanted me to bring in a stool sample to rule out worms (which I am doing this week) but we have looked at his stools and don't see any.

Thanks in advance! I am going to attempt to attach a photo. Here's our sweet boy - Tucker!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the site is the same one I am thinking of it is pretty good. I was feeding my adult kirkland which is a 3 star, but now that we are getting the puppy I have had to retink things. the way I am looking at it is that I am spending over 1K on a puppy and stuff to start off so why skimp on food that "could" cause problems down the road. so I decided to go grain free and ballanced with Origin. after all 60 bucks for a big bag realy isn't that expensive in the long run when I look at what I spend on food for my family, and the puppy is a member of the family so why should he have to eat stuff that isn't fit for our consumption. I was going to feed raw, but the wife drew the line there :)

Steve

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum to you and Tucker. He is very cute. 5 stools a day sounds like a lot to me. Keep those pictures coming.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum....

So sorry to hear about the loss of your 8 year old. We lost our 9 year old boy to cancer in January. It has been a difficult year without him. We now have a wonderful 11 month old girl, but I still miss my boy every single day.

Congratulations on having such good success with potty training. Our boy also picked up potty training very quickly, but our girl was something else. It took every bit of 9 months before she finally got the concept.

You know you would think I could remember how many times a day Gracie pooped when we first brought her home....it's only been 9 months ago. I do believe that early on it was 3 maybe 4 times a day. Now at 11 months it's usually 2, sometimes 3. When we go to the dog park, however, she usually goes a couple times in 3 hours, because of the excitement, so if your young is getting wound up and excited through out the day, perhaps a couple of of his poops are from all the excitement and extra acitvity.

When we brought Gracie home she was on Purina Pro Plan and was doing well. We wanted her on a premium food and within the first month switched her to Fromm Large Breed puppy. We left her on that until we recently switched to Dog Lover's Gold adult food. While on Fromm we had occasional problems with soft stools. Fromm may or may not have been a part of the problem....I really can't say for sure. However, if you do some searching around the food posts here you will see a number of posts from folks who have had soft stool problems with puppies on premium foods. Some believe that premium foods MAY be too rich for SOME puppies. Some puppies do well on premium foods...some don't. If I had it to do all over again (and this might be something for you to consider)....rather than changing foods over the numbers of poops, I would look at the quality. If you are getting consistant firm poops, I would think about staying with the Eukanuba, rather than taking the chance of creating other digestive problems by changing food. I think a number of folks here will tell you that once you have a puppy with soft poops, it's a challenge to get them back to normal.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
From what you say I would do first what the vet said. Get a stool sample done because not all worms or parasites will show up by looking. Personally I would not go by that website to form an opinion on the food. As others have said not all dogs do well on the "premium" foods. Mine were on a premium food because one of my older dogs needed it because of his stomach issue and I switched everyone but they didnt do good on it. So I switched mine to Purina ProPlan and they have been doing great. If your puppy is doing good then I wouldnt change.
Puppies do poop alot and as he gets older it will stop. Puppies are eating alot so alot is going to come out. They eat less as adults.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Hello, and congratulations on your new puppy. Tucker is a cutie!!

As others have said, let the vet check for worms. 5 stools/day does sound like a lot, but...how much are you feeding him at each meal? On the other hand, pups eat a lot and poop a lot.

Sam, our 10 wk. old pup, came home on Eukanuba LB puppy, and had the same itching problems. He's been switched to another food, which is also compatible with the food our older Golden is eating. So, if Sam double dips, it's not too bad LOL! (The itching has gone away.)

Good luck with your decision. Also, I wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of the loss of your older Golden.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! Great points. Suckerforgold - I really didn't think about it that way and am glad you replied. His stools have been nice and firm and going to runny/loose stools does not sound pleasant. I did go to the store today and got a new brand and will gradually introduce that and see how he does. If he doesn't tolerate it well, I will go back to Eukanuba and deal with the gas and itchy face. Other than that, there really isn't any other negatives with Eukanuba. I took in his fecal this am and just got the call that it is negative - YEAH!!

So sorry to hear about your golden also. It's so devastating. I was in the shower yesterday and started thinking about our's that we lost (his name was Sampson) and started crying. I miss him everyday. I wondered if getting a puppy so soon was a good choice but I am confident it is. Sampson will never be replaced. But we love Tucker so much already (I don't think I could say that 2 1/2 weeks ago - kidding, of course!) and realize they all have their own distinct personalities. We have our hands full with our newest puppy, but it is a challenge I welcome.

Again...thanks for all the great replies! So happy to find a community of golden lovers!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Welcome. Tucker is a handsome little guy.

Glad to hear that the fecal exam is negative at this point.

Young puppies always "go more" than older puppies and dogs. I remember mine easily having four stools a day - typically once after each feeding (3 times) and another one or two late at night or first thing in the morning. As someone else mentioned, overfeeding by even a little bit can increase stool volume and number of times.

I personally would not want to leave a dog on a food that is causing chronic gas and itching (both signs that something is not agreeing with him) even if his stools were perfect. Pet food companies know well that the consumer puts a lot of stock in "perfect poops" and have mastered ways of manipulating stool output by what they put in the kibble.

I hope you have success with trying the new food you bought. Transition very slowly and don't feed more than the lowest amount suggested (if that) at first.

The many references in this thread to "premium" foods are fairly meaningless. The cost and place of purchase aren't the critical elements. There can be great foods that work for your dog at all price points. For example: I'd try Healthwise (35 lb for $36.50) in a heartbeat before I'd buy Newmans Own Organics (25 lb for $44) even though I can afford the more expensive one. That's because I believe the Healthwise has superior ingredients and guaranteed analysis. Just as easily, I believe there are some more expensive foods that can be superior to some inexpensive ones. Learn to read the labels as a starting point and find out about the different companies. From trial and error, you'll find what ingredients your dog does well on or if there are some that cause problems. For example, my lab doesn't do well with barley and my Bentley doesn't seem to thrive on fish-based formulas. And some dogs you swear could eat whatever is in the closest garbage can and seem fine. It's very individual, but it's worth the time to figure out.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I use Eukanuba and have been very happy with it. I personally would try to change brands if it gave him gas.

I was wondering though...could the gas be caused by his gulping of food? I would think that could put some air in his system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts