Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum so I thank you for your knowledge in advance. Like any forum I participate on, I read most of the Stickies and did plenty of Searches prior to posting.

My wife & I (and our families) have had many, many golden retrievers, and lab retrievers over the years.

That said, I have found the fancier the breeder's website, the more expensive the dog and more red flags I come across. :crying:
I am well aware that some of the best breeders don't even have websites because the business isn't the priority. I have found some excellent lists of breeders posted by other forum members (a SoCal list for example)

Prior to my reaching out to an extended list I would love if any members have recommendations for what we are looking for - which isn't an 8-10 wk puppy - but rather a trained young adult...

We are willing to travel nationwide but are located in Northern California so something on the West Coast is certainly preferential.

Our preference is a ~6-12 month old young adult, well trained, with all the standard training items accounted for; come/sit/stay, crate training, leash training on and off, etc... Less emphasis on male or female as either is OK, prefer golden over creme but not imperative... It already being an AKC Good Citizen is not mandatory but taken into consideration (or dog is at a similar level even w/o the official diploma). We don't need a Therapy Dog for ourselves but I intend to volunteer w/ said puppy and pursue the various Therapy Dog 'achievements'.

I realize this type of an ask, especially from a reputable breeder, comes with a price, but we have discussed at length and are willing to pay for the time/effort/training that was put into said young adult.

Thank you again in advance for any advice or direction you can provide us - Peter

·
Kristy
10,074 Posts
If you were a member of my family and proposed this scenario to me, I would suggest that you purchase a Golden puppy from a reputable breeder in the usual manner and arrange for the puppy to go to a trainer for the first few months. You would have to vet the trainer carefully and would need referrals and recommendations but if you're willing to pay for it, I think it would give you a lot more control over the conditions and training of the puppy.

It would not be easy to find a healthy, well mannered older puppy who has had such careful attention to manners and obedience commands and has been raised in the house as part of the family. Typically a breeder would hold back a puppy and then decide to place her in a pet home if she didn't grow out for the show ring quite as expected. Or maybe a show dog who had a couple of litters of puppies and then would be spayed and placed with a family. However then your risk is that the puppy or dog hasn't been given a strong foundation in obedience commands or possibly has spent a lot of time in a kennel run and has some issues with potty training or separation anxiety from not having spent enough time with people. It would be a serious crap shoot to find your dream dog with all the criteria met.

You are expecting to find a reputable breeder who has socialized and trained a puppy to a serious level and then just be willing to sell this perfect puppy to a random pet home. A puppy with no behavioral or health issues. Seems like a needle in a haystack.

You're still going to have to work with your puppy in obedience when he came home at that age. They require homework and continued attention to manners and obedience at that age. How are you going to do this if you haven't been the one training the dog in the first place? I think you'd be a lot better off putting in the effort to train the puppy yourself and knowing it was done right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
New to this forum so I thank you for your knowledge in advance. Like any forum I participate on, I read most of the Stickies and did plenty of Searches prior to posting.

My wife & I (and our families) have had many, many golden retrievers, and lab retrievers over the years.

That said, I have found the fancier the breeder's website, the more expensive the dog and more red flags I come across. :crying:
I am well aware that some of the best breeders don't even have websites because the business isn't the priority. I have found some excellent lists of breeders posted by other forum members (a SoCal list for example)

Prior to my reaching out to an extended list I would love if any members have recommendations for what we are looking for - which isn't an 8-10 wk puppy - but rather a trained young adult...

We are willing to travel nationwide but are located in Northern California so something on the West Coast is certainly preferential.

Our preference is a ~6-12 month old young adult, well trained, with all the standard training items accounted for; come/sit/stay, crate training, leash training on and off, etc... Less emphasis on male or female as either is OK, prefer golden over creme but not imperative... It already being an AKC Good Citizen is not mandatory but taken into consideration (or dog is at a similar level even w/o the official diploma). We don't need a Therapy Dog for ourselves but I intend to volunteer w/ said puppy and pursue the various Therapy Dog 'achievements'.

I realize this type of an ask, especially from a reputable breeder, comes with a price, but we have discussed at length and are willing to pay for the time/effort/training that was put into said young adult.

Thank you again in advance for any advice or direction you can provide us - Peter
Hi and welcome to this forum! I'm sure you will find much useful information here. I certainly have!

Have you checked with any organizations that train assistance dogs? My brother-in-law told me that sometimes those organizations have one- or two-year-old retrievers that have "failed" as assistance dogs, but are adoptable as wonderful and very well-trained and socialized family pets. I'm not sure which organizations are active in your area. Canine Companions for Independence is one organization that comes to my mind, though I'm not sure if they facilitate the type of adoption that my brother-in-law described.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Hi and welcome to this forum! I'm sure you will find much useful information here. I certainly have!

Have you checked with any organizations that train assistance dogs? My brother-in-law told me that sometimes those organizations have one- or two-year-old retrievers that have "failed" as assistance dogs, but are adoptable as wonderful and very well-trained and socialized family pets. I'm not sure which organizations are active in your area. Canine Companions for Independence is one organization that comes to my mind, though I'm not sure if they facilitate the type of adoption that my brother-in-law described.
That's a great suggestion. I know around here, the wait lists can be very long for these dogs - like 2-3 years. But worth a try.

Reactions: GoldenGalore

·
Kristy
10,074 Posts

Genius suggestion. I have friends who puppy train for CCI and they are wonderfully raised. The waiting lists are often very long but would be worth the wait. Also be sure the dog failed out for a behavioral reason like 'too high prey drive" or something similar rather than for failed clearances.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
For a breeder, it is a sadness to hold back a puppy, spend the time and energy and training on them, then have some small thing keep them from being the dog you want to show. I've had occasion twice over the last few years to place such a puppy and am in a decision place right now on one, those families were lucky to get a dog who'd never been kenneled and was CGC ready- I probably didn't charge enough for them! But even those girls - one had a RN title and one was CGC ready +some- their people still had to take a set of classes with them so that they were on the same page with the dog. Who knew it all, but the people didn't know how to speak that language. So do plan on doing that with whatever dog you get. It's fun! That said,
I am sure there is someone in your part of the country who ends up being the person who always knows about older puppies being placed- Sue McGaverick in Louisville KY is such a person, I am such a person- you just need to find out who that person is in your area! I'll ask a friend out there who is the person everyone calls when they are going to place a pup to see if they have suitable people looking for an older puppy. LYK!

·
Registered
672 Posts

We also think about getting an "older " dog but hear it's even more cost than a pup since they've had it longer etc( but I don't know for certain)..would be open to one here in Nj if anyone's knows of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
For a breeder, it is a sadness to hold back a puppy, spend the time and energy and training on them, then have some small thing keep them from being the dog you want to show. I've had occasion twice over the last few years to place such a puppy and am in a decision place right now on one, those families were lucky to get a dog who'd never been kenneled and was CGC ready- I probably didn't charge enough for them! But even those girls - one had a RN title and one was CGC ready +some- their people still had to take a set of classes with them so that they were on the same page with the dog. Who knew it all, but the people didn't know how to speak that language. So do plan on doing that with whatever dog you get. It's fun! That said,
I am sure there is someone in your part of the country who ends up being the person who always knows about older puppies being placed- Sue McGaverick in Louisville KY is such a person, I am such a person- you just need to find out who that person is in your area! I'll ask a friend out there who is the person everyone calls when they are going to place a pup to see if they have suitable people looking for an older puppy. LYK!
We live in Indianapolis. Does Sue have a website? Louisville is so close. We lost our Golden last summer and would like to get another Golden this next year. Still uncertain if puppy vs young adult.

Sorry to hijack thread!

Thanks!

·
Kristy
10,074 Posts
... I've had occasion twice over the last few years to place such a puppy and am in a decision place right now on one, those families were lucky to get a dog who'd never been kenneled and was CGC ready- I probably didn't charge enough for them..
Robin, a family would be extremely fortunate to get a dog from you. I'm thinking you are someone who goes above and beyond with your puppies in all areas and are more of the exception than the rule. I've had family members on a couple occasions buy young dogs that weren't right for the breed ring after they grew up and had not received anywhere near the proper socialization and training they were led to believe had been done. The dogs were physically healthy and cared for but hadn't been living in a conventional pet dog situation and it resulted in a very tough transition for the dogs. It was a real eye opener and learning experience for me. I don't think I would ever again recommend that a friend or family member take an older puppy or dog from a show kennel unless I specifically new the breeder and/or had personal knowledge of the situation.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sue is the bomb! She gave me the gift of hours of time and information and helped direct us to an available pup from a reputable breeder and be equipped to better care for that pup when we brought it home. She has fielded questions for me since.

I am also in Indiana.

Louisville GRC Greater Louisville Golden Retriever Club

Puppy referral (Sue McGavic): mailto:[email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Sue in Lou" is AWESOME. She was incredibly helpful to us in our breeder search.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
We also think about getting an "older " dog but hear it's even more cost than a pup since they've had it longer etc( but I don't know for certain)..would be open to one here in Nj if anyone's knows of.

Have you thought about adopting from the Seeing Eye in Morristown? You may be on a waitlist for a while but if you're looking for an older dog this may be a good option for you. Here's the website:

The Seeing Eye - Adopt a Dog

·
Registered
59 Posts
We live in Indianapolis. Does Sue have a website? Louisville is so close. We lost our Golden last summer and would like to get another Golden this next year. Still uncertain if puppy vs young adult.

Sorry to hijack thread!

Thanks!
I think you can get in touch with Sue via the GRCA Louisville website. She is amazing.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Have you thought about adopting from the Seeing Eye in Morristown? You may be on a waitlist for a while but if you're looking for an older dog this may be a good option for you. Here's the website:

The Seeing Eye - Adopt a Dog

Wow, interesting never thought that was an option.. but must be $$$ ... thank u I will check !❤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,020 Posts

Sorry to hijack thread!

Thanks!
No site- she is not a breeder just someone who knows where all the dogs are!
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
OP, my friend did not know who gets all the info on older dogs out there, but she did know of one- I will PM you the contact info. PS= come back and let us know if it was a match!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I know I would have a very hard time giving up a puppy after spending so much time with it. Ive never had a puppy ready for a CGC at that age until Pilot. He got his at 7 months old. Sounds like a lot to ask for to me.

·
Kate
22,157 Posts
Prior to my reaching out to an extended list I would love if any members have recommendations for what we are looking for - which isn't an 8-10 wk puppy - but rather a trained young adult....

-

Our preference is a ~6-12 month old young adult, well trained, with all the standard training items accounted for; come/sit/stay, crate training, leash training on and off, etc...
Randomness, but I think you need to expand your requested range to 3+ year old dogs. The younger the dog, the more likely they will regress when placed into a home that does not intend to do any specific dog training themselves. And majority of dog training has nothing to do with the dogs. It has everything to do with the people themselves.

6-12 months especially are those months when hormones start acting up and the pups "forget" everything they were taught. And forget about letting these dogs off leash anywhere outside of four walls.

A dog who is 3+ years old tends to be more set in stone when it comes to the training he has already received. They will still need to bond and train with their owners for months before being trusted off leash in an uncontrolled place (outside).

As well, one of the classes I took back when my one guy was a puppy involved all of us switching dogs to get an idea of how much work (or how little work) other people were putting into training their own dogs.

My guy was the honor roll student in these classes, and primarily because I was using them for distractions and not really about training. By 4 months, my pup already knew all of the fundamental obedience training taught in these classes. And he was doing off leash heeling and stays already.

People were fighting over the opportunity to get my dog to train with during the switch. And they found my dog to be utterly out of control because he did not want anything to do with them and refused to do anything for them. Among else, they could not stop him from dragging them across the room to get to me where I was easily handling their own dogs (LOL).

That exercise has always stuck with me - and it's a primary reason why I don't believe in training programs which have OTHER people training the dogs.

If the primary preference for a 6+ month old pup is all about bringing home a dog who is already potty training and crate trained, that's obviously different. You have lower and quite do-able goals in a new dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts