Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
minihorses
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:--heart:Morning~ I am new to the forum so I hope I have the proper thread ~ we are looking for an American or English Golden, we are a couple only our children are grown and gone, we do have miniature horses so the puppy would grow up to be on our farm.
I had originally said English but we really are open to either..or even a cross of the 2.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of info here to help you in selecting a reputable breeder. You should also check out your local golden retriever group for suggestions. You need to be very careful when selecting a breeder especially an english type golden. Best of luck to you.

·
minihorses
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you...is there a specific place i can go to look?. I am fairly new to the Golden world and have been unsuccessful in finding an English Golden in Nevada.:wavey:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would start here. It doesn't look like the Golden Retriever Club of America has a specific club in Nevada. But if you contact below they may be able to give you recommendations on Golden Breeders near you that may be specifically breeding English Goldens.
Welcome to the forum.

WESTERN UNITED STATES

WESTERN REGIONAL PUPPY REFERRAL
541-389-4642
Laurie Shrode
Bend, OR
Updated 10/15/2008​

·
minihorses
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are open to both American & English

At this point we are open to both American & English Goldens, we are looking for a companion, a friend that owuld love to be part of our horse farm.
We actually would be interested to see what both have available..thanks.:wave:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be cautious when it comes to prices if you decide to go the English Golden route.

Here's what I mean:

Some "breeders" are taking advantage of the recent "English Golden" look, here in the U.S., as a "designer" dog and are charging very generously for it. Now I'm sure most folks on this board are much more versed in Goldens than I, and will have a better idea (I'm new to this board as well), but I'd say anything over the ~$1800ish mark may be more of a "puppy mill" and not a reputable breeder (breeding to improve the breed). Perhaps other members could refine on my dollar amount, as $1800 would not be a firm number as the dogs family history/lineage may warrant a higher price. Good luck in your search! Check out this helpful link of finding a GR puppy: link

·
minihorses
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ~ the hunt is on..

Thank you for your reply..that is what I am finding, I found a very pretty litter and the woman quoted me 2500 per.
I do not know if this is a fair price., I certainly do not want to buy from an unscrupulous breeder unfortunately there are no breeders near or me in this state so I am looking on-line. I have already walked away from a deposit for a puppy in Tenn as she started to raise the price on everything from the shipping to the transport as the time grew nearer to shipping her.. :doh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
minihorses, I tried to PM you, but I'm new here and can't do that yet. So I posted you a visitor message on your profile instead. Keep us posted!

·
Banned
616 Posts
HEALTH CLEARANCES!

Glad you are getting a new family member....

remember both parents and about 3-5 generations back should have:

-Hips and Elbows cleared and certified AFTER the age of 24 months, by OFA (hips can also be done by Penn hip, but if done this way, please verify the rating given is acceptable, because Penn hip does not say if it is pass or fail, just how the hips compare to other dog's hips).

-Eyes done EVERY year, by a board certified Opthamologist, certified by CERF (Remember the eye clearance is no longer valid if it was done longer than 12 months ago).

-Heart by a board certified cardiologist, this should be registered with the
OFA.
There is a sticky that will let you know what these clearances look like. I recommend looking at for more information for why these are so important in raising your chances of a healthy long lived family member.

I don't know any breeders in your area, as I'm from across the country. But you will be surprised most of the best breeders are sort swept under the rug, because they only have one or two litters a year, they usually have the litter sold months before its bred, and most of their puppies go to golden enthusiasts who know them from competitions and such. I can understand how difficult it can be for someone who is trying to find a good breeder on the web. Usually the ones you find are ones that advertise a lot, the best breeders often don't even have a website (because they don't need one.)

I bet this forum will lead you to a great breeder. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks here!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
As the Mom to two light goldens (parents or grandparents were imports), just be really careful of the "hype" and high prices some are charging. Prices were unbeliveably high and couldn't find full clearances on available litters parents. Many told us the parents had clearances, but in another country. I wanted clearences repeated here in the US for our data banks.

Color should not be a reason to mark-up the price. A Golden is a golden to me and feel charging so much more because of color, when the parents may not have clearances is a marketing ploy. Don't fall for this. There are many American goldens who are light in color and breeders who do all their clearances. Take your time and feel good when you do your selection. Light English Type of goldens have been here for quite a while now and you should be able to find them without paying out the rear for the color and temperment you are looking for.

But I love goldens, be they dark, medium, light or even the creme color. I love my two little ones and though very light, they are 100% golden!

Good luck, but demand all the clearances listed above. We need to have the best chance we can for getting the healthiest pup we can find.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Not sure how far you would travel, but I know Marianne miller with captivate goldens in utah will be having a litter soon. She is super nice and gorgeous goldens.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Also check venture goldens in Colorado. Tiffany usually has lighter color goldens.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
alot of people here are talking about english being synonymous with lighter color... please keep in mind that there are other difference than color.... there are lighter colored american goldens and english goldens but there are also darker colored english dogs... my emmett and his mother kaelyn are both medium gold and are both english style dogs.

dont think that english means light... it may or may not but it is just one of the differences that we see.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Perhaps I am simple, but to my mind an "English" golden retriever is a UK bred dog, bred by a breeder in the UK, dog born in the UK with a UK pedigree where the lineage is comprised primarily of UK dogs. Colour shouldn't come into it - as long as the colour falls within the UK breed standard. Same goes for conformation.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Perhaps I am simple, but to my mind an "English" golden retriever is a UK bred dog, bred by a breeder in the UK, dog born in the UK with a UK pedigree where the lineage is comprised primarily of UK dogs. Colour shouldn't come into it - as long as the colour falls within the UK breed standard. Same goes for conformation.
Here in the states...an English style dog is a generic term for dogs that come from English or European pedigrees... (if not breeders) and are bred to the UK standard... there are some characteristic differences that we see... primarily in head shape, eye set, upper arm and construction of the front and rear... these dogs are often lighter in color but not always and that is simply because many of the dogs in the UK and europe are lighter in color but not always... color is really the least of it.

There is a fairly large group of folks in the US who are breeding more to the UK standard with dogs that have come out of the UK and have UK/European pedigrees so in the states when you are talking about an English style dog this is what we are talking about...

unfortunately there are many unscrupulous breeders who have taken this and imported poor quality light colored dogs and are marketing these dogs are rare english creme goldens etc etc and charging alot of money and have convinced people that it is all about color.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thank you Shalva.
The original poster said that they were looking for an American or English Golden and were open to either or even a cross of the two and this what I am having a bit of difficulty with thinking there is such as a thing as a golden which can be a cross and still be a golden (pure bred golden to pure bred golden will always be a golden retriever pup whatever it looks like) - combination of "style" must be what is meant although it seems to me as if the poster regards the American and English golden as different breeds.
As I am sure you know the golden retriever was a gundog originally developed in the UK for a specific purpose - so should this be the "blueprint" for the breed I wonder to maintian a dog true to its origins and type?
Looking at some of the pedigrees available of some of the dogs which are called "English" I notice that very often the original imports into America don't even come from England - they are often from Eastern European countries or even further afield and I would query the quality of these imported dogs, especially if they are being represented as "English". There may have been an English dog somewhere far back in the pedigree, but so far back as to be of little value. They are mistakenly being called English dogs when they are not English at all.
I find the different "style" of dogs bred generally to be quite interesting; for example the American Cocker Spaniel and the English Cocker. These have become sufficiently different to be separate breeds now and I wonder if that is what will eventually happen to the golden retriever. Personally, I think this would be detrimental to the breed as a whole.
I can see how the American style golden has become a bit different from the English dogs, particularly when comparing working types with show dogs - I believe the American dogs work differently from the English, over different terrain, so a slightly different dog is required, but I hope they don't become too different as to become a different breed.
I would just add that some of the American dogs are stunning and I like both American and English dogs, so I hope you do not think am biased. Like you I don't like to see people have the wool pulled over their eyes and end up with a dog that is not what it is claimed to be.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
This thread got me thinking along the lines of aerolor. The American and English cocker were once the same breed. They are now so different from each other, from their heads down to their bodies. And I think Shalva has a point, that when people come here wanting an English Golden, they want a light dog (I'm guessing most don't know the difference in head type, structure, coat, etc). And within the "American" goldens, there can be quite a divergence between field and bench type.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
This thread got me thinking along the lines of aerolor. The American and English cocker were once the same breed. They are now so different from each other, from their heads down to their bodies. And I think Shalva has a point, that when people come here wanting an English Golden, they want a light dog (I'm guessing most don't know the difference in head type, structure, coat, etc). And within the "American" goldens, there can be quite a divergence between field and bench type.
I agree with you... that most don't have a clue about the other differences... and it is one of the things that most "English" style dogs have bucked against is a breed split... but in goldens there are multitudes of breed splits anyway....

I personally have a hard time with the whole world "english" golden as it has been so co-opted by the disreputable that I hate even using it but for lack of a better word to describe my dogs....

I think that most of us with "english" dogs can appreciate a multitude of other types...I have seen some absolutely lovely American type dogs shoot my Connor is a Yogi kid... (age 11 now)

I would hope that is the same for those with American type dogs, that they could appreciate a English type dog...but that has not been my experience... I have watched my young puppies get sneered at and I think to myself... honestly who sneers at a puppy? but really I would guess the sneers come from the overwhelming odds that the little cream puppy must have come from a not reputable breeder as there are relatively few of us who are breeding them reputably... so I get that... it is still somewhat disheartening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts