Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is 8 weeks and I just adopted her. should I only give her dry food? is pedigree for puppies ok? any special advice on how to take care of her?

Thanks

·
Theo's mom :)
623 Posts
I wouldn't feed my dog food with by-products (i.e. slaughterhouse waste or "animal fat"), fillers (corn, wheat, soy), artificial ingredients or preservatives, "bone meal."

I'd pick a food made in the U.S. or Canada with locally sourced ingredients. The food should use named proteins.

So to sum it up - Pedigree is pretty bad in my opinion.

Many quality dog foods cost more. But you usually get what you pay for. You should look at the listed ingredients on the packaging.

Also, you should be feeding her puppy food (3-4 times a day) until she is 5 or 6 months old.

·
Registered
Rocky, Golden Retriever.
7,303 Posts
We fed Max Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food until he was about 15 months old. We got him at 11 weeks old and fed him twice per day.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
She is 8 weeks and I just adopted her. should I only give her dry food? is pedigree for puppies ok? any special advice on how to take care of her?

Thanks
There are so many good choices for feeding. I would go with puppy food for a few more weeks, then switch to Large Breed Puppy. We use Fromm Puppy Gold, but Taste Of The Wild Puppy & Eukanuba or Pro Plan Puppy we have used in the past as well. The key is to choose a food with the correct calcium/phosphurus balance to promote correct joint growth. I feed an 8 week old 4 times a day and a 16 week old 3 times a day.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I found it's so hard to figure out what food to feed your dog. It took me probably 9 months before I found a food that I love. There are many great foods out there. I wanted to feed acana or Orijen at first but found it to be too rich so I ended up with Fromm and love it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am feeding my puppy with Blue Buffalo wilderness large breed puppy food and Orijen six fish now ~ I do not want to feed with only one brand/type of food, plan to switch between several brand of food to keep safe and attractive for the puppy. I am feeding him 3 times a day before and since he is 13 weeks now I plan to feed him 2 times a day now.

I am just a first time pet owner and study on this topic yet.

you may refer below DogFoodAdvisor Reviews for dry dog food FYI~

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I am feeding my puppy with Blue Buffalo wilderness large breed puppy food and Orijen six fish now ~ I do not want to feed with only one brand/type of food, plan to switch between several brand of food to keep safe and attractive for the puppy. I am feeding him 3 times a day before and since he is 13 weeks now I plan to feed him 2 times a day now.

I am just a first time pet owner and study on this topic yet.

you may refer below DogFoodAdvisor Reviews for dry dog food FYI~

Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor
I do the same with my dogs. I have a nice rotation of foods, and they love them. For my pups, they grew up on Fromm Large Breed Puppy food, and did very well on it.

Also, Orijen makes a good Large Breed food and now that Farmina is sold in the USA...they make a very good puppy food too.

There are a lot of choices out there, but make sure to change the food over a 7 day period. So it's easier on your puppy's tummy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts