Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MAGGIE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’ve been battling on and off diarrhea with our now 14 week old golden. EVERYTHING else about her is great....energy, appetite, hydration... I’m wondering what has worked for others. I currently have her on the bland diet (again)...rice & chicken. I’ve also been prescribed Hills’ w/d.... a few apple pieces here and there...
I’d love to hear what’s better!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I am dealing with the same thing with my 15 week old pup. He had it on and off for a week and chicken&rice didn’t do much and the rice looked like worms (it wasn’t thank goodness!). Took him to the vet and they gave me the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Puppy food to use for a week (our vet didn’t like that our baby had lost a pound and needed more food as a growing puppy) and nutramax proviable medium & large dog supplement (this is a probiotic and stool firmer. Can get for $19 on chewy vs $48 at the vet). We’re doing this for a week and then seeing if we can switch over to his normal food again. It might be a chicken intolerance but we aren’t sure. Hope this helps or gives you some suggestions! Good luck.

·
Registered
MAGGIE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! I am dealing with the same thing with my 15 week old pup. He had it on and off for a week and chicken&rice didn’t do much and the rice looked like worms (it wasn’t thank goodness!). Took him to the vet and they gave me the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Puppy food to use for a week (our vet didn’t like that our baby had lost a pound and needed more food as a growing puppy) and nutramax proviable medium & large dog supplement (this is a probiotic and stool firmer. Can get for $19 on chewy vs $48 at the vet). We’re doing this for a week and then seeing if we can switch over to his normal food again. It might be a chicken intolerance but we aren’t sure. Hope this helps or gives you some suggestions! Good luck.
Thank you! We just came back from the vet with Hills’ i/d and a probiotic. Fingers crossed!! I’ll have to look it up on Chewy! Thank you for that tip!!

·
Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
My 11 month old has been having issues off and on. Normal fecal exams until today. Apparently the Ghiardia cyst doesn't always show up with every fecal exam.
It did today though. Mollys diarrhea was really bad today and she even had an accident in her crate while I was on the phone . She has been able to be loose all day so I ignored her barking as "The boy who cried wolf " she does it a lot now as she thinks she runs the house lol.

She is on a script for panacur and metroconizol

·
Registered
MAGGIE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 11 month old has been having issues off and on. Normal fecal exams until today. Apparently the Ghiardia cyst doesn't always show up with every fecal exam.
It did today though. Mollys diarrhea was really bad today and she even had an accident in her crate while I was on the phone . She has been able to be loose all day so I ignored her barking as "The boy who cried wolf " she does it a lot now as she thinks she runs the house lol.

She is on a script for panacur and metroconizol
Poor girl! That’s never fun for anyone....
Wait, she THINKS she runs the house????? Ours already does😉

·
Ripley and Ned
474 Posts
I had issues with my 9 year old when she was a puppy. She was on Hill's large breed puppy food, and it did not agree with her at all. Turns out she is allergic to corn, which is a common filler in dog food. It got so bad that we had to do a cold turkey switch to Canidae at 15 weeks old. One thing that helped loads with her loose stools with adding a tablespoon of pureed pure pumpkin in with her kibble, and an additional tablespoon of plain greek yogurt. If you have her on Orijin, one of the issues could be the extremely high protein content in the food. I would recommend switching to a food with a lower protein content. I am feeding my 10 week old boy Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy, which he is doing really well on. I don't love that it does have corn in it, but it is working and I don't want to mess with that! Dealing with a puppy with diarrhoea is not fun! Hopefully you resolve this issue soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts