Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
After seeing "Pet Foo(le)d on Netflix (quite an eye opener) I decided no more kibble for Henry!. He is 5 1/2 and had the best kibble the vet recommended so far. Apart from a delicate skin he has no health issues.

As I'm also not to sure about raw, I have been cooking since January.
I have an around 85 pound slim big boy, so it's a lot of cooking:)
After reading a lot I'm giving him a total of nearly 2 lbs of food per day - 14 oz of meat (lean beef or skinned chicken, can't get anything else, don't want to give him pork) and the rest 50% vegetables and 50% either oats or rice. He also gets an egg from our neighbours who have chickens and a sardine now and then, plus some joghurt and cheese. Whilst in Europe in December I bought him Mineral and Vitamin supplements in powder form and green mussel in powder.
To the people more experienced than me I have a question - am I missing anything?
I had him weighed before I started as I'd like to keep him slim, but didn't want him to go hungry. He certainly finally has a real interest in his food, he only ate the kibble because he was hungry. After putting down his food he often took no notice and sometimes after eating some he would lie down as if he was uncomfortable. Now he has no problems and can't wait and really enjoys his food.
Any suggestions would be welcome and thankyou

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,197 Posts

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,942 Posts
No way to know what if anything you're missing since it's all uncontrolled amounts of nutrients and on top of that you're cooking it and destroying nutrients. So without testing after it's made it's all guess work in the end. There could be excesses or deficiencies. Making ones own food is a very slippery slope. For example, the vitamin and mineral supplements for dogs are 99% of the time based on feeding a kibble with a vit/min package already in the diet and is meant as supplementation (why they're called supplements) and even then as a boost usually, not an everyday all the time thing (like recovering from surgery or illness). Also, like in people, synthetic vit/min are barely 20% absorbed. And virtually all vit/min come from china. I know some foods use Vit C from Germany, but all German Vit C is procured from China still.

I never recommend making your dogs food but if you are I would recommend a raw diet that is balanced enough that supplements aren't needed (no vit/min package is need/added) all nutrients are all in the ingredients, not relying on supplements usually from china.

Another thing. Feeding raw means you won't have ANY dental cleanings in the future. The natural enzymes on the raw meat aren't cooked away and literally attack the plaque and tartar off the teeth (like flossing too) and also seed the gut with the good bacteria (like a probotic)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that your balance is similar to what I used to cook for my Happy.
I cook many traditional Italian foods and when Happy was adopted from my neighbors she

was forced to changer her culture :grin2:

For years it would be cooked as a stew /soup.
The vegetables always had plenty of broccoli or spinach.
Even though I cook very good traditional Italian meals for myself. Happy’s where healthier.
I try to cook a balanced meal and cover all of the areas below. Some Food/herbs do cross over into different

categories. I lowered the Protein and Carbs as she aged.

1 to 3 are the three main portions which you have mentioned.
4 deals with her bones, ligaments, joints & other crucial parts.
5 is the spices that are also very beneficial for good health, and so tasty.
6 would be a small amount of natural Fiber added to the food. There are different types. You wouldn't have to add much

on the days you cook Dark Rice.

As for Cheese or similar dairy products. I rarely gave her any. I even dropped much out of my own diet. Most are Very high in Fat and Sodium.
PROTEIN: (Everything Lean from Butcher) Beef, Chicken breasts, Pork, Salmon, (About 1lb per meal) Eggs (4x’s whites to 1 whole egg), Grains and Cerials #3

2. 2. VEGGIES/ Vitamins & Fiber
VITEMIN E: & FIBER Spinach/Broccoli, Peanut butter, Olive oil, other oils

VITAMINS A And FATTY ACIDS (Omega3) / FISH, PEANUT BUTTER, OILS (not cooked): Olive and Cod liver oil. Drizzled on after the meal has cooled down.
FISH vitamin A per serving,
Cod Liver Oil — 150% DV King Mackerel — 43% DV Salmon — 25% DV
salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, and sardines)
Nuts and seeds (such as flaxseed)
Plant oils (such as flaxseed oil, soybean oil, and canola oil)

3. 3. GRAINS & CERIALS /
CARBS & FIBER Oats, Dark Rice, Sweet potatos (also in cat #2) Sometimes high fiber pasta

4. 4. GELATIN, FISH, GLUCOSAMINE/ Chondroitin: Supplement K9 powder TRI-ACTA max strenth
HIP, JOINT, AND CALCIUM / GELATIN (2 tsp/ day) none when eating fish

5. MORE VITAMINS & MINERALS /
HERBS AND SPICES: not only make the meals tasty, but they contain anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties

6. 5. FIBER supplement. Natural Psyllium

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my Pasta and Broccoli / Rapini day. She would also get some as a special treat.

She was 14 years old in this pic. Here coat was still gorgeous and her teeth where in excellent condition until 15 1/2 and no smelly breath. Except for one she broke one at 14.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I forgot to list the Herbs & Spices. Like all food we cook for our dogs, we 1st know what is

toxic /poisonous for them.

The Herbs I used, but not in high dosages are: Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, Tumeric.

I will be using Cinnamon and Ginger in the future for my next pup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have home cooked for my Goldens for 17 years (cooked, not raw). I've read a lot and learned that it is unfortunately way too easy to create nutritional imbalances over the lifetime of the dog. So nowadays I check all my recipes against the EZ Autobalancer tool on the website balanceit.com, and I also use their supplement powder. Both the recipes and the supplement are created by board-certified veterinary nutritionists. The tool is easy: you just plug in the ingredients you want to use, and it generates a recipe. Most important, it generates the specific nutrient profile of the recipe; actually it generates 2 nutrient profiles -- one if their supplement is included, and one if the supplement is not included (and a LOT of deficiencies show up in the profile when the supplement is not included).

As some added reading material I have also used Dr. Jean Dodds book titled "Canine Nutrigenomics." I have stayed away from most other books on the subject since they are written by people who aren't particularly well qualified.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I started home cooking several years ago and have never looked back. One of my vets suggested going to www.BalanceIt.com. You can plug in your ingredients and make changes according to the weight of your dog and if you want to cook daily, several days at a time or weekly. You can also see the percentage of protein, fat, and carbs your diet has and if it is in the normal range. A must is to add vitamins/minerals and calcium to a home cooked diet.

Jonah has diagnosed IBD after having multiple episodes of blood in the stool and a colonoscopy showed the inflammation in the intestinal tract. So, I immediately switched to a "cool" meat diet with sweet potatoes, white potatoes, veggies and fruit. I have a base diet and switch the fruit and veggies each week.
The recipe as follows works for me but your dog may have different needs. I cook for 7 days and divide each day in to its own container. Also, I will allow the first 3 days of a freshly cooked preparation to be in the fridge and freeze the other 4 containers.
84 oz. of a protein/proteins. I do a combo of pork sirloin and 85/15 ground turkey. I use 4TBs of olive oil to cook the grd turkey for added fat.
3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes cubed and cooked until tender
15 white potatoes about 5 pounds give or take, cubed and cooked until tender
2 cups of a fruit blended until smooth
2 cups of a veggie cooked until tender
He gets 3 meals a day (a container is divided for 3 feedings) and has a quarter cup dry oatmeal then cooked until smooth with a 1/4 cup of rinsed green beans for lunch with a small portion of his regular food.
Jonah has maintained 72 pounds and is in superb shape. No more IBD episodes and his holistic vet is giving me big thumbs up. Your recipe might vary so do some reading in good reputable dog food recipe books to get a good diet.
Henry looks adorable!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
www.JustFoodForDogs has a DIY section to print out recipes. Just remember that it needs to have vitamins, minerals and calcium added. I think they have supplement packs you can order to go with each recipe. I use Nature's Farmacy vitamin/mineral powder and add crushed egg shell for calcium or use bone meal powder if I don't have enough eggs that week. The egg shells must be rinsed and baked for a few minutes then crushed in to a fine powder. I use a Nutri Bullet to pulverize mine. You will need to read up on how much of the egg shell powder to give Henry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maggie's Voice - Thankyou for the input - the Vitamin and Mineral powder mix is from Germany. It is supposedly part of a raw modular system of meat, vegetables, oil and this mix

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
www.JustFoodForDogs has a DIY section to print out recipes. Just remember that it needs to have vitamins, minerals and calcium added. I think they have supplement packs you can order to go with each recipe. I use Nature's Farmacy vitamin/mineral powder and add crushed egg shell for calcium or use bone meal powder if I don't have enough eggs that week. The egg shells must be rinsed and baked for a few minutes then crushed in to a fine powder. I use a Nutri Bullet to pulverize mine. You will need to read up on how much of the egg shell powder to give Henry.

Thankyou for your reply, I will look into the site you mentioned.
I had been giving a teaspoon of pulverised egg shell from the eggs I get from my friend.
He also gets a big raw meaty bone for some calcium. Calcium is als in the Vitamin and Mineral powder mix

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The picture was too big, I reduced the size of it and rotated it for you.

Henry's a good looking boy.

You may want to read through this thread-

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/raw-diets-homecooked-diets/391874-raw-food-diet-tips.html

I'm not a raw feeder, I don't have any info to share with you.
There are several members that do feed raw that can help.

Thankyou for your help with the photo and compliment. He is a beautiful boy from the outside as well as in character. A real ambassador for the breed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have home cooked for my Goldens for 17 years (cooked, not raw). I've read a lot and learned that it is unfortunately way too easy to create nutritional imbalances over the lifetime of the dog. So nowadays I check all my recipes against the EZ Autobalancer tool on the website balanceit.com, and I also use their supplement powder. Both the recipes and the supplement are created by board-certified veterinary nutritionists. The tool is easy: you just plug in the ingredients you want to use, and it generates a recipe. Most important, it generates the specific nutrient profile of the recipe; actually it generates 2 nutrient profiles -- one if their supplement is included, and one if the supplement is not included (and a LOT of deficiencies show up in the profile when the supplement is not included).

As some added reading material I have also used Dr. Jean Dodds book titled "Canine Nutrigenomics." I have stayed away from most other books on the subject since they are written by people who aren't particularly well qualified.

Thankyou for the website, I will definitely check into that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another posted about Just Food For Dogs, DIY recipes so wanted to chime in. Their recipes & supplements are here:

Homemade Dog Food Recipes | JustFoodForDogs

I've just made the 2nd batch of the Beef recipe using their nutrient blend. My dogs (Basset Hound & Golden) both LOVE the food & they seem to do well on it. Making up a batch is time consuming even using an Instant Pot & the wife thinks I'm crazy! Link to the ingredients & instructions for the beef recipe are here:

Do It Yourself Nutrient Blend - Beef

I bought the Lamb nutrient mix as well, bu tground lamb & liver is harder to source.

Hope this helps!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts