Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our 12+ year old female golden about six months ago and recently decided to bring another female golden into our family. We have always gotten puppies (6) over the past 25 years but have decided this time to go the rescue route. Figured it might be easier on our 9 year old male golden than bringing a new puppy into the house. Given our location I have contacted DVGRR, filed out their application and we had a home visit/interview yesterday. My question is, assuming we are approved is there anything special we need to know or do if we paired up with a female that is coming from a puppy mill background. DVGRR's web site talks about them being timid and skittish around people. If anybody has had experience with this type of rescue I would very much appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
You will want to introduce your current dog and the new pup on neutral ground if possible. Even better if you can find a safe place for them to meet off leash. Pick up any dog toys before the new pup comes home and introduce them slowly to avoid any conflicts. Good luck to you.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Thank you for deciding to adopt an older dog. My current golden was a breeder dog at a puppy mill. I adopted her when she was 7 years old, and couldn't be more pleased. She is a happy, well-adjusted little girl. She loves people; her only fears are of lawn sprinklers, plastic bags and paper (paper towels, sheets of paper, newspaper, etc.). Other than than, she is a great dog, and her issues are minor. I don't know whether she is typical of a dog from her background, but we are thrilled to have her as part of our family.

·
Administrator
16,483 Posts
If I remember right you can request certain ages and sexes of a dog you might be interested in adopting from them. If approved for a dog I know DVGRR will require you to bring your dog and all your family members up to meet the dog. Even if everything goes well here but you still have some hesitations about a certain dog you can decline and ask to try and be paired up with another dog that might meet your families needs. DVGRR is erally good about having their Goldens go through various training and socialization programs before they are placed on adoption lists.

Good luck and I hope you get approved for adoption.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would suggest lots of socialization. I have seen many of our puppymill fosters over the last couple of years and the ones whose owners have walked them regularly and taken them to pet stores and other dog friendly places had much more well adjusted dogs.

I am sorry for the loss of your dog. Thank you for considering a rescue.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
bless you

Bless you for rescuing!!
I agree to just introduce them on neutral ground before the new dog coming into the house. my hubby and I have rescued twice and it has never been a problem with our other dog. ACTUALLY in both of our cases our two dogs just loved one another and REALLY BONDED!!
If possible, ask the rescue if you can bring your dog over to meet the dog you are rescuing beforehand.
I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thank you so much for considering rescue and an older dog!

It has been my experience that even with very unsocialized and shy puppy mill and hoarder dogs, they can get along quite easily with other dogs. It can be the people who take a little longer. That being said, I have one who has become a social butterfly!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Another huge thanks for adopting an adult! Horray!

I'd go a step beyond "meet on neutral ground". When I'm introducing a new dog to the household, I typically avoid interactions for several days, more if there may be a problem. If one dog is out, the other is in the yard or crated in a separate room...and vice versa. They can smell the other dog, and get used to a bit of changes in the house hold. You are able to focus on getting the new dog adjusted to your schedule, being sure house training is in place, and having a bit of extra one on one time to get acquainted before introductions. Then go and do an off property introduction.

Find an appropriate training class (the rescue can likely recommend one). Training is super important for human-animal bonds, and it will help her learn to communicate with you and you with her.

Keep in mind "socialization" means good experiences...if a dog is ever worried about something...it's time to back off a few steps. Good socialization processes do not have worried dogs.

Keep us updated! It's sooo exciting to see adult dogs adopted!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YE HA, yesterday we got the email proclaiming we have passed the application/interview process and are now eligible to adopt! We have let them know of our interest in one of the females currently available on their web site so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
DVGRR has one of the best group of people.
Dylan's breeder was co-founder, but she passed away before they opened the doors of the rescue. Go to their site and at rainbow bridge they have a bench with her name on it( Kathy Uhrman) she was a wonderful person, she helped us find our Bobby.
They will require your family and dog to go to them to see how your dog will interact
with the dog they match to you.
We have had three rescues and I can tell you from our experience, it is so rewarding to see how they come out of darkness and into Light.
Thank You for rescuing a dog.
June

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Thank you for giving an older dog a furever home. I have 2 rescues and one I raised from a puppy. You have been given some great advice, but if I may add a couple of suggestions, try to supply a location in your house that the new dog can retreat too if she becomes overwhelmed w/ all the changes in her life. Also very important to bring her to your vet as soon as you can get an appt, and make sure you bring any records you receive from DVGRR. DVGRR may require the vet visit, I am not familiar with their requirements, but we require the adoptive family to visit the family vet within 7 days.
No matter how old the dog might be, expect accidents in the house for the first several days until you learn her signaling, it might be a while if she was kept in a cage or kennel her whole life.

You might have moments of frustration, but I know you will find your new dog one of the most fulfilling things you have ever done. They are so grateful and full of love, that everything becomes minor in comparison.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Congratulations on being approved to adopt! There are so many beautiful dogs on DVGRR's Web site, it will be hard to choose just one. Good luck. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Thank you so much for adopting a doggie in need of a loving home!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She is beautiful. Bless you for wanting to adopt her. It sounds like she had a rough beginning but is going to have a fantastic future.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts