1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Here is a link to an excellent article by Rhonda Hovan on cancer in Goldens.

http://www.grca.org/pdf/health/cancer.pdf

I tell my puppy people to expect 10-12 years with their Golden, although several have exceeded that. The youngest I personally have lost a Golden was age 10, although it was not to cancer but to benign brain tumors. The oldest was over 17, and it was probably cancer although as dogs (and people) age, cancer becomes more and more likely.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I tell my puppy people to expect 10-12 years with their Golden, although several have exceeded that.
This made me happy and at the same time brought a tear to my eye. Daisy will be 10 next month. We've done good. Problems along the way but no cancer (knock on wood). She's slowing down some, naturally, but she's still got her spunk. And today, I can honestly say the only pressing issue on our minds is a good teeth cleaning ;)

And sad, so sad, that I know we are likely closer to the end than we are the beginning or the middle. Cancer is around the next bend, I know.

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,071 Posts
I have a Golden boy who is 15 years old, still going strong, doing really well for his age, he does have arthritis. We have been very fortunate with no major health issues and no cancer.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I lost my Golden Angel Sandy to cancer at age 12...soooo sad

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
This made me happy and at the same time brought a tear to my eye. Daisy will be 10 next month. We've done good. Problems along the way but no cancer (knock on wood). She's slowing down some, naturally, but she's still got her spunk. And today, I can honestly say the only pressing issue on our minds is a good teeth cleaning ;)

And sad, so sad, that I know we are likely closer to the end than we are the beginning or the middle. Cancer is around the next bend, I know.
My Scout died on his 14th birthday......he was very healthy right up to the last day or so. He just faded away in the space of a few hours. I suspect cancer of some sort, but he had Lyme disease twice, so who knows? My poor friend Diane had several girls in the same age range of 10+, and has lost all but one of them in the last few months. Very sad time for her, even though they all had great lives. It's never long enough.

It sure sounds like Daisy is doing so well-who knows, she might be one of those who just keeps ticking away :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Because of pedigree and genetics I had hoped to have Selka till age 15 or so. Tragically he developed bone cancer at age 11 and went to Heaven after a seven week fight.
We love the breed so took a chance on a puppy with no cancer in his pedigree. But on this earth, one never knows.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I don't think there have been surveys as comprehensive as the 1998 survey since it was done, but the median age for Goldens is still 10.5, and that's on par with other dogs the same size. The cancer rates in Goldens seem to be elevated, but it's very hard to assess their actual risk relative to other, similar breeds.

For example, Labs and Goldens both have a life expectancy of that median 10.5. If a Lab dies at 10.5 of congestive heart failure (more common in that breed) instead of cancer, he doesn't have a chance to develop a geriatric cancer that a Golden might develop at 10.6. Thus, the higher cancer rates in Goldens might be exaggerated because they're actually making it slightly longer than similar dogs and cancer risk shoots up with age. Or, they're making it significantly longer on the whole except for cancer, which is higher risk in GRs, and thus it reduces the average age back down. Or, because so many Goldens are family dogs, they're more likely than some other breeds to get heroic medical care and thus a firm cancer diagnosis (as opposed to simply getting old and ill and then being put down without a firm diagnosis). Or, Goldens may belong to slightly wealthier households on average than other breeds and get more medical care and firmer diagnoses.

It's hard to know exactly what's going on, since the the interaction of different factors in the incidence, diagnosis, and reporting of canine cancer is exponentially complex. Add onto that complexity the fact that we don't fully understand the mechanisms of the common GR cancers, and you have very little you can say with surety.

One thing that's pretty clear is that a GR has a life expectancy roughly equal to other dogs its size, and your GR will live on average about 1.8 years longer if you keep him lean, and he'll experience many of the geriatric conditions (joint problems, heart problems, even cancer) later in life if he's lean the whole time. That's two extra healthy years with your dog, based solely on keeping his weight appropriate.

Anybody who obsesses about longevity with their GR should start with an eye on the pedigree but spend the dog's life with an eye on the scale.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts

JoEllen, I might suggest you seriously consider a dental for Daisy, I had Hali get one in Sept and that is how they found her oral melanoma, she had no issues that would indicate the melanoma just cruddy teeth.
Hali is 9.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
JoEllen, I might suggest you seriously consider a dental for Daisy, I had Hali get one in Sept and that is how they found her oral melanoma, she had no issues that would indicate the melanoma just cruddy teeth.
Hali is 9.
Dentals are also good for overall kidney and heart health too. So many dogs develop kidney disease and heart issues because of poor dental health and gum disease/infections. I just wish they could do dental scaling and cleaning without sedating the dogs--that actually caused my Toby more problems than his cleaning. :(

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We just lost our Wembley to cancer in January, at just seven years old. Too young. Reagan will be six in February, and I'm really hoping she has many years left.
So sad =( Sorry for your loss..
We lost Teddy at around 9 years old (not exactly sure of age because we adopted him he could have been 10..but no older)

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
I have a Golden boy who is 15 years old, still going strong, doing really well for his age, he does have arthritis. We have been very fortunate with no major health issues and no cancer.

Frazier turned 13 yesterday! He also has arthritis and a large fatty tumor, but still is getting by each day..... although much more slow and tired....:crossfing

·
Missing my Kody Do
165 Posts
Lost my boy at 8 years 3 months to cancer. Would have loved for him to be 17 when he left. Hopefully our Samson lasts for 17 years...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our beautiful dog died of hemangiosarcoma just three weeks shy of his fifth birthday. He had been plaqued by seizures for four years, but cancer was a complete shock. Was disinterested in life and could barely walk at 8 am Saturday morning, we took him to the vet who was quite confident in his diagnosis, and our beautiful boy was gone by 6 pm. He lifted his head up one more time to look in his daddy's face and died--all naturally.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for those that lost their beloved, where did you get them?

Strange question but just wondering if those claiming to breed ofa/hip/eye/heart cerf are improving the longevity of the golden breed these days.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Strange question but just wondering if those claiming to breed ofa/hip/eye/heart cerf are improving the longevity of the golden breed these days.

It is my believe that any breeder who IS breeding to improve hips/elbows/eyes/heart would definitely be looking at longevity also.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Isn't it pretty easy to judge whether the breeders is getting better longevity just by looking at the life span of the dogs in a pedigree? I was struck by the upward shift in the lifespan of Sunny's ancestors, just over the 5 or 6 generations that I looked at.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I don't think many great breeders claim they're improving longevity, simply because it's such a complex equation that it would be somewhat arrogant to do so.

I do know that every great breeder I know is absolutely heartbroken when a dog dies young and would do everything in his or her power to ensure that doesn't happen. I also know that when they have a wonderful dog live to 14, they wish for a few more years still and do everything they can to ensure that too.

With hips, there are definitive protocols that work to reduce the incidence of disease. Same with elbows, hearts, and the most common eye diseases. When it comes to longevity, particularly when cancer enters the equation, it's much, much harder to figure out exactly what you should be doing to improve the situation. So, great breeders are definitely doing what they can to reduce cancer and improve longevity, but the path simply isn't as clear.

·
the party's crashing us
4,472 Posts
Because of pedigree and genetics I had hoped to have Selka till age 15 or so. Tragically he developed bone cancer at age 11 and went to Heaven after a seven week fight.
We love the breed so took a chance on a puppy with no cancer in his pedigree. But on this earth, one never knows.
EUREKA!!!! Please do tell of this golden retriever with NO ancestors dying of cancer! WOOHOO

Because "Thunder" CH Faera's Future Classic was the poster child for golden lymphoma and he is in Stoney's pedigree -- isn't your pup a Stoney kid? Forgive me if not.

Sorry but ANY golden breeder who claims they have NO CANCER in their pedigree has their head in the sand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts