Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sofas and golden what to do???....

We finally got our new blue velvet sofas for our formal living room.
We bought a large ish (well for a UK town location) house with two reception rooms and got hand me down sofas from the in-laws.
So Ted was allowed on the old sofas in there when invited. And he has free access to the sofa in the informal reception room.

So we were panicking about how we were gonna keep him off the new sofas!

For a while I’ve been wanting a giant square metre foot stool thing that also doubles up as a coffee table by putting a large gold tray on it. So found a second hand one that matches new sofas beautifully........

Then Teddy and his intelligent golden mind figured out that if he’s not allowed on the sofas he’d claim the footstool as the perfect raised dog bed!

He’s so darn cute and proud of himself and it’s nice to have him close that I have to let my designer look footstool come coffee table go and let him have his ‘dog bed’! But thankfully big enough we can share so I still get my footstool.

Sorry long post for no particular reason. Just had to share as I imagine there’s a few fellow push overs on here that have similar stories of their Golden’s getting there way.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think Ted is very happy with himself for ‘finding’ his very own doggy sofa

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe to also meet his needs of wanting to claim your foot stool to also protecting your new purchase, you should think about using Scotchguard to spray on it. It's something you can spray on fabric furniture to keep stains from setting and to coat it and make it last longer. And I think it makes it easier to clean and wipe off stuff that you see too. I used to be in a sorority, and this is what the house used to protect furniture in high-use areas.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sofas and golden what to do???....

We finally got our new blue velvet sofas for our formal living room.
We bought a large ish (well for a UK town location) house with two reception rooms and got hand me down sofas from the in-laws.
So Ted was allowed on the old sofas in there when invited. And he has free access to the sofa in the informal reception room.

So we were panicking about how we were gonna keep him off the new sofas!

For a while I’ve been wanting a giant square metre foot stool thing that also doubles up as a coffee table by putting a large gold tray on it. So found a second hand one that matches new sofas beautifully........

Then Teddy and his intelligent golden mind figured out that if he’s not allowed on the sofas he’d claim the footstool as the perfect raised dog bed!

He’s so darn cute and proud of himself and it’s nice to have him close that I have to let my designer look footstool come coffee table go and let him have his ‘dog bed’! But thankfully big enough we can share so I still get my footstool.

Sorry long post for no particular reason. Just had to share as I imagine there’s a few fellow push overs on here that have similar stories of their Golden’s getting there way.
I'm sure he thought you bought it just for him and he thanks you!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Amber used to come up on our old sofa so when we got a new one we wanted to figure out what would be the best spot for her. It has a recliner and a chaise. At first I thought putting her bed would be good in the middle but we ended up with it on the chaise. She seems to like it.

20181020_131222.jpg

20201110_213234-1612x1209.jpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe to also meet his needs of wanting to claim your foot stool to also protecting your new purchase, you should think about using Scotchguard to spray on it. It's something you can spray on fabric furniture to keep stains from setting and to coat it and make it last longer. And I think it makes it easier to clean and wipe off stuff that you see too. I used to be in a sorority, and this is what the house used to protect furniture in high-use areas.
Oooh scotch guard spray, I didn’t know you could buy it yourself. The sofas have been scotch guarded by the manufacturers but o could scotch guard the foot stool. Great idea thanks.
We’ve actually taken to putting one of his dog blankets over it. But scotch guard would add another layer of protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amber used to come up on our old sofa so when we got a new one we wanted to figure out what would be the best spot for her. It has a recliner and a chaise. At first I thought putting her bed would be good in the middle but we ended up with it on the chaise. She seems to like it.

View attachment 882782

View attachment 882783
Oooh what I great idea. Amber looks very happy there. That looks like a combination between a blanket and a dog bed?! Ooh what brand is it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oooh what I great idea. Amber looks very happy there. That looks like a combination between a blanket and a dog bed?! Ooh what brand is it?
I don't think we got it from this site but it's the same. You can even get it personalized. Just make sure to check the size and color you need.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oooh scotch guard spray, I didn’t know you could buy it yourself. The sofas have been scotch guarded by the manufacturers but o could scotch guard the foot stool. Great idea thanks.
We’ve actually taken to putting one of his dog blankets over it. But scotch guard would add another layer of protection.
You should be able to pick it up at your local hardware store or big box store.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think we got it from this site but it's the same. You can even get it personalized. Just make sure to check the size and color you need.

Thanks, they look great. He has an almost identical dog bed upstairs but it has a memory foam bottom to it as it sits on the floor. I like the look of these as they can be put on sofas or his footstool like you have with Amber and the raised sides should contain in to that area. Fab thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think most furniture stores also sell spray on products that are made specifically for upholstered furniture. I can say that scotchgaurd works well on vehicle upholstery, protects against food and drink stains, doggy accidents and drool....however, it does not help with fur or nose prints on the windows

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should be able to pick it up at your local hardware store or big box store.
Thanks, will check it out. Probably find some on Amazon but will look local first, rather than giving my money to Bezos bottomless pit.

This only my second ever brand new sofa. So still learning things like you can buy scotch guard yourself. I bought a new sofa as a postgrad student and my husband I carted it around from place to place until we sold our flat. Then we had hand me downs for a little while.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think most furniture stores also sell spray on products that are made specifically for upholstered furniture. I can say that scotchgaurd works well on vehicle upholstery, protects against food and drink stains, doggy accidents and drool....however, it does not help with fur or nose prints on the windows
Another great tip! Never thought to scotch guard car upholstery! Thanks 😊 as we are contemplating upgrading my little car for a proper large car that will be our first really nice car. Summer of test driving cars where I am hoping they’ll let us test if Ted can jump in and out of the boot and whether there is enough space for him. I shall add to our enquiries whether the upholstery material is ok to be sprayed in scotch guard.
Well this is turning out to be a good learning day for me!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another great tip! Never thought to scotch guard car upholstery! Thanks 😊 as we are contemplating upgrading my little car for a proper large car that will be our first really nice car. Summer of test driving cars where I am hoping they’ll let us test if Ted can jump in and out of the boot and whether there is enough space for him. I shall add to our enquiries whether the upholstery material is ok to be sprayed in scotch guard.
Well this is turning out to be a good learning day for me!
If you plan on traveling with your pup I highly recommend a back seat cover like this one. We have one in both of our cars.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you plan on traveling with your pup I highly recommend a back seat cover like this one. We have one in both of our cars.

Yeah my husband has one just like that in his VW passenger van. I have a seat cover that cover the back seats, but doesn’t attach to the front seats, in my small car (pretend SUV!). But when we upgrade the car to a proper SUV he’s gonna go in the boot and I’ve looked into proper boot covers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts