Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a GR puppy and it is my first GR so I didn't know much about the size a puppy should be at 8 weeks. Now I have looked around and found that she is either REALLY under weight or not really 8 weeks.

After I got her and found she had fleas, tape worm, round worm and coccidia so I thought maybe she was under weight from being sick but when I looked into the seller a bit more, she has 12 ads for puppies for sale on the website I found her on so it appears to be a puppy mill.

The seller told me she was born on Oct. 2nd and when I took her to the vet on Dec. 2nd she was only 4.6 pounds. Could being kept outside, under fed and sick cause her to be that much under weight? Is she younger than 8 weeks? Or maybe even mixed with something smaller? I never saw the parents since the seller told me she lived out in the woods and met me at a public place. Here are a few pics of Shelby so you can take a look.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I can't answer you questions...but I do know she has an extremely sweet look to her. & I bet she (and I) are glad she's part of your life now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I can't comment on if she is pure golden or not, I just want to say I'm glad she is safe now. Please take good care of her and I'm sure she will be a great companion for you and your family.
Bonnie&Buddy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, she is a very sweet girl. The medicine I got from the vet has helped a lot and she is a happy puppy now and that's the most important thing to me but I was also curious about her lack of size.

I know that no one will probably be able to say for sure but I just wanted some opinions.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition. She does look small and thin for an 8 week puppy but I'm sure you will see that she gets the care she needs to make you a wonderful pet.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
she is cute, a vet should be able to guesstimate her age.

She is so cute and tiny. Because she had so much going on that might be her weight size issue. I'd treat her like she was younger - so be extra careful with her and if she is older it's ok.

Some of our experts might have advice on feeding etc. She is a cute little one.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Welcome to the board!

She is as cute as abutton. I agree with you, she is tiny for her supposed age. I would wager she is probably at least two weeks younger than what the seller told you. You may have guessed right that she is a mix of something smaller, I see a little cocker spaniel something in her face.

In any case, she is safe with you now, and will get all the good food and care she needs, she will thrive and grow. Congratulations on your little sweetheart. I hope you post pictures often so we can watch her grow.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Untreated coccidia will make a puppy small, as will roundworms. I have seen it frequently in litters. The good news is that once treated, the puppies rapidly begin to catch up to where they should be.

If she had fleas, she probably had tapes too.

I once went to visit a litter of 6 week old Golden puppies and took a friend with me, who did not know how old the puppies were. When they woke up and began to walk around and bark, she literally shrieked and jumped back-she thought they were about 2 weeks old and was totally unprepared for them to walk and bark! The puppies turned out to have coccidia and were infested with fleas and worms. We took them home, treated them and within just a few weeks, were almost where they should be.

She is adorable, albeit unthrifty looking, and she will definitely begin to fill out now and grow.

What did the vet say about the eye discharge? Were they on hay/straw?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what they were being kept on since the seller didn't want me to meet at her house. I should have seen that as a warning sign and thought about asking more questions about it but even if I didn't buy from her, someone else would have and got the same problems. She also had a brother still for sale and I feel bad for him.

I got her home at 7pm and got her some food and a bath and that's when I found the fleas. Then I found a worm in her stool an hour later so I got her to the vet the next morning and she did have both round and tape worms.

I didn't mention the eye discharge since it wouldn't affect her size but the vet gave me TriOptic-P antibacterial ointment for that. I also got some "bland" canned dog food from the vet to settle her stomach since she had really bad diarrhea. Her stool is now solid and she is really doing much better.

Thank you for all the well wishes and I will try to post pictures and weight updates when I can.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Sounds like she is better already! You will probably almost be able to see her grow, as she starts to catch up on lost time :) Do be forewarned that coccidia can pop out at times of stress. I recently had a girl who had coccidia as a puppy come down with it again after being spayed at age 3. It was the stress of the surgery and being away from home that brought it on.

Keep us posted on her progress-she is just a real cutie.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Poor little girl...glad she is safe with you. She looks small and thin in the face....did the vet give you good directions on how much and often to feed her? Good luck and enjoy her.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
She's true cutie. She does look a little thin, but I think once all of her conditions are treated she will begin to gain weight quite quickly. I'm glad you came to the board and that this puppy now has a loving, caring home. Trust me - it's so worth it!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Congrats on your new little one. I too think I see some Cocker Spaniel in her- as soon as I saw that second picture. Could also contribute to the smaller size. I'm glad she has found you to take care of her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vet put a label on the food to feed her 1/5 can, 3 times per day until normal stool and gradually convert to normal diet.

Here is a pic I snapped about 15 minutes ago of her sleeping with our other dog, an 8 month old Puggle (pug/beagle mix). They are getting along just fine and the puggle is treating her very gently.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
You may have guessed right that she is a mix of something smaller, I see a little cocker spaniel something in her face.
When I looked at the second picture I thought that I saw Cocker Spaniel, too, around the eyes. It doesn't matter if she is small....you will just have a 'pocket sized golden' :p:. My 2 yr old golden, Sasha, was very small when she came home at 7 weeks (around 4-1/2 lbs) and she is still small, compared to my other goldens, but I really like her size.

Shelby is adorable and I can't wait to see her grow.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
She's so tiny & sweet! And lucky to have found you to love her.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
She is a cutey and good for you for sticking with it despite all her problems, is there any chance you could report her breeder to you local SPCA.

Sending hugs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts