Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be getting our first golden puppy this week.:p We have selected a girl,and we're going to name her Sandy. She was 7 weeks old on 5/1 and we'll be picking her up on Wed. Does anyone know when it will be o-k to give her the first bath, combing, exc? We want to start early with getting her used to these things.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, you must be really excited! I bathed Cooper after a couple of days of getting him because he was quite smelly after being with all his brothers and sisters! Make sure you get a good dog shampoo. Dont bath your dog too often or she will get flaky dry skin. Also make sure she is well rinsed off. I live in a cold country, so i dry him with a towel then i dry him with the hairdryer at a low setting and brush him at the same time, but if you live in a warm country then i would imagine you could dry her with the towel, give her a good brush and let her dry off outside. You have to watch their ears, make sure water does not get inside them and dont point the hairdryer near her face or ears. Get into a routine of brushing for short periods of time as soon as you get the puppy, this is important because when she gets her long hair, she will need brushed regularly. Cooper used to try and bite the brush, but i gave him a treat when he was finished and now he sits fine getting brushed. Let us know when she arrives!

·
Registered
8 Posts
New Puppy.

We also picked up a puppy on May 1st. She was four months old. The people said she was almost housebroken but she is still pooping and peeing on my kitchen floor. We made a pen for her in the back to do her business and when you bring her there she does go but she also goes in the kitchen. She doesn't have a routine and even though we try to keep her on a schedule, we work and the kids are home all different times so her routine changes. Anyone have and suggestions how we can make her stop going on my floor. We've had her two weeks. I think part of the problem is where she came from she was outside most of the day and could go whenever she liked so she never got used to a routine. She doesn't dirty in her cage just on my kitchen floor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nan12345

Have you tried putting down housbreaking pads in one place? Each time your puppy eats and drinks bring her to the pad. Soon she will make the conection to go just on the pads. You can purchase them at pet stores. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me on that. I will try the pads. Another thing is she eats her feces. I've heard that puppies do this but it is so disgusting and can it make them sick. Nancy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Before we picked up our puppy, Mojo, his breeder gave him a bath. As long as the soap is out of his coat and he's properly dried that shouldn't be a problem. I started combing and brushing him the day we brought him home. I also played with his feet constantly to get him used to having them handled. Once a week, on a Thursday, I would lightly trim his nails. I also rubbed his gums so he would get used to things in his mouth. Now he lets me trim his nails, tidy up his feet and get the fur out from between the toes and brush his teeth. In fact, I think I've created a monster with the feet thing. Mojo will sit in front of me and put one of his paws on my lap (he wants his foot massaged). I will start to play with his toes and up his leg and his eyes will go very goofy and sleepy-like until he falls asleep and falls over. Cracks me up every time it happens. All our guests think it's hilarious. In fact that's how they remember him. Could be worse I guess.
FYI - If you ever cut the quick in the nails have a small container of everyday flour on hand. Put the bleeding nail in the flour and it will stop. Our vet told us about this trick and unfortunately I've had to use it and it works. He's not so happy to have me do his nails now and if I take him to a groomer I won't let them cut his nails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Nan

There are pills you can give her called Deter. You would give her one once a day. It goes by the weight of the dog. I would also follow her each time to pick up the feces. You can get the pills at the pet store.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I read a bar of soap works too if you cut the quick, it should stop the bleeding.

mojosmum: how come you don't let the groomers cut Mojo's nail? I'm just wondering because I've never cut the nails of a dog so i was just thinking of bringing him to a groomer until he gets a little older before i start cutting his nails.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had Sandy to the vet last night and he also recommended the bar of soap to stop the bleeding if you cut the quick. And he said at some point in your dogs life you will:( !!! He also cut her nails for me, and showed me how. This was her second trip to the vet, (10 weeks) and the second time they cut her nails . By the time she's done with her shots I should be ready to take over the job.:cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Tracy: I've been cutting Mojo's nail since we brought him home at 9 weeks old. I played with his feet A LOT to get him used to me touching him and I would only cut a tiny sliver off each nail. It was my first time doing the nail thing and I was so scared but the vet charged an arm and leg so I figured I better learn. I made sure he didn't squirm all around by being very firm with him and quickly, without fuss, trimmed the nails. I think I had hubby there to rub his belly while I was doing them, also. Sort of like a distraction.
I cut his nails because I know my dog and if I have to take him to the vet or groomers I don't want him to be afraid of them and remember only pain. Better he be ticked at me than a place he might only go to once in a while. We live in the country and are on a well so I don't have the water needed to bath the dogs and I want the experience (when they go to the groomers) to be as pleasant as possible for him(them).

In regards to the bar of soap - I think if I was the one to have a cut vein I would rather have my finger (toe) dipped in household flour than scraped across a dry (or wet) bar of soap. I would think that would sting. Just an opinion...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.