Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on getting a new puppy for myself for birthday and Christmas this year. In the beginning of the month, I decided to put a direct deposit on a puppy for $100 and that's when I stumbled across this site on things to look out for. After doing some digging and things to watch out for, I noticed that the sire wasn't 2 years old yet, but had pre-screening done on the hips, elbows, and heart. The mother was around 6 years old and have had many litters. The mother was cleared with hips, heart, and elbows. Neither of the dogs have had their eyes checked. And they were being described as "English Creme Golden Retrievers". She never showed the dogs, and it came with a spay/neuter contract.

So after seeing the posts on this forum of breeders that throw up red flags, I decided to contact the GRCA contact here in my hometown. She said she would be very cautious spending the money that I would be spending on a puppy from that breeder. She gave me reasons why, and what to ask them and to let her know the answers. The point of contact in my area shows her dogs, trains, as well as breeds them. She never put the other breeder down, only told me to be cautious and that she has never heard of this persons name.

So I asked her if she knew anyone in the area who had puppies available that I could go meet and see how they were. She referred me to a wonderful elderly lady who has been breeding Goldens for 19 years. On the phone she told me that her last two dogs that passed away were 14 years old.

I got to meet the sire of this litter, and he is a recent UKC Grand Champion (attached the picture below), as well as the mother (she had the grandmother there as well). She also has champion bloodlines, and they both were wonderful and well behaved. I had a good feeling when I left this persons house and have decided to purchase from her instead of the original breeder. And what sealed the deal id when I asked her if I purchased the dog from her, could I bring him back for a "play date" with the mother and grandmother... and I could see it in her eyes that she was surprised I asked her that question, and she said "You are absolutely more welcome to do that." She had a notebook of all the certs, clearances, pedigree, and awards the dogs have won and she said she will be supplying me a copy of everything.

I am telling you this because I wanted to thank everyone for their posts on what to look for, and helped me make an informed decision. The little guy is a litter of 4 (3 male and 1 female) and I have a picture of two pups attached.

Attachments

·
Matt
235 Posts
I was just telling my wife, this is like the best first post ever....lol

That's so awesome that you found this site and did your research and ended up going with what seems to be a reputable breeder. That really makes my day. Don't forget to make a introduction when you find out which puppy you get, do you know yet?

Congrats on the new puppy either way!!:D

Matt

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! I am a new member here, awaiting my Golden's birth the end of January.

I am so grateful for this site, I knew all the questions to ask, and I am so excited I could spit!

Let us know, along with a pic of your new baby.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
WOOHOO this is awesome!!! I know that you are going to be so happy with your pup. I look forward to watching the little one grow up.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Have fun with your puppy!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Wonderful story to hear! Congrats on your soon to be new addition! Pics always welcomed!

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Good for you for doing your research and finding a breeder to give you a puppy that will be healthy and of good temperment. Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your overwhelming support. I do not know which one of the two puppies I will be getting, however it's narrowed down to two. Actually there is a story behind why I don't have mine yet. From what I remember, there was this guy who was searching for another breeder to have a litter about 19 years ago. They ended up having the litter, and he moved from the area. Low and behold he is back in town for the holidays and he is looking for a puppy. The first person he called was this breeder and it just so happened that puppies were about to be born. She has already sold the female, and now 2 males. So with "word of mouth" advertising, she has sold 3 out of the 4 pups she has available.

She told me that he had first choice since he was the first to reply. That is why I picked 2. One of them is the "runt" of the litter, and the other has a white spot on the top of his head.

I am trying to come up with some names though for the little guy. Right now on my list, there is Astro, Atticus, and Winston. At least those are my favorite so far from what I have come up with.

I will report back on Thursday the 15th on which puppy I will be getting. She was saying they will be 6 weeks old on Christmas. I will be taking him home in the 8th to 9th week.

By the way, I do have a question. Why is it that most websites have a spay/neuter contract involved with getting a puppy. If that dog has surperior bloodlines, and could produce a very good puppy, wouldn't you want that to continue? Maybe I am not wording this question properly, but I hope I asked it right.

P.S. Matt, I do not know if you are from the Philadelphia area, but my moms side of the family is from there. And their football team isn't doing very good this year. It stinks.

·
Matt
235 Posts
The reason most breeders will have a spay contract is so that random people wont try to breed. As you will learn on the site, alot more should go into a "responsible" breeding then just taking top dogs from "champion" lines and breeding them; such as getting clearances done( hips,heart,elbows etc..).
There are more factors such as having the correct temperament etc...

In regards to the Eagles, yeah I live in Kentucky, I'm just a Vick fan, have been since he was at VT. I'm probally the only fan of his on this site..:p
Although I'm not a fan of "his" per say, more of him as a player.

·
Registered
372 Posts
How great that you were able to use the forum to help find a good breeder. The puppies are so cute! My Jackson had a white spot on his forehead too, but now that he is 16 weeks it has pretty much disappeared.

·
Kristy
9,813 Posts
Thank you all for your overwhelming support......

By the way, I do have a question. Why is it that most websites have a spay/neuter contract involved with getting a puppy. If that dog has surperior bloodlines, and could produce a very good puppy, wouldn't you want that to continue?
First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on being open to learning new things. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who try to educate others and end up in many cases feeling that they are beating their heads against a brick wall because there are so many people who just can't see the plain old common sense in a lot of the guidelines for making sure that all puppies purchased from a breeder have been planned with an eye to BETTERING the future of the Golden Retriever breed. Your feedback means a lot. Thank you.

As to the spay/neuter contract, it is an attempt at preventing backyard breeders and the production of unwanted or unhealthy puppies. Just because a dog has an impeccable pedigree does not mean it should reproduce. I don't know what the statistics are, but I bet that even in the 'perfect' litter there may not be a single puppy who fits the breed standard in EVERY category. And if it doesn't fit every category, it probably should not be bred. There is no guarantee the puppy will grow up to be correct to the golden retriever breed ideal standard of BOTH conformation and temperament.

The average pet owner is not willing or able to spend the time and money to show the dog to a championship in conformation and/or performance and to obtain all the proper health clearances to even confirm that the dog's health and genetics are up to par. And then to put the time and money in to raising a healthy litter and finding FOREVER homes for the puppies. It is a huge undertaking that most of us don't have the strength or stamina for, no matter how much we love dogs. The safest thing for the animals in the long run is to require a spay/neuter contract. Good breeders usually save the potentially "perfect" puppy for themselves or make sure it goes to the ideal "show" home and doesn't require the neuter contract for the show homes.

I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear back later this week on which baby will be coming home to you. I LOVE the name Winston! You must be having so much fun getting ready for the eventual arrival... have you had a chance to start researching dog training clubs in your area to find a puppy class? If you haven't, it's never too early. The best classes fill up fast and aren't always starting at the perfect time depending on your puppy's age, so it's a great idea to start working on this ASAP.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
In regards to the Eagles, yeah I live in Kentucky, I'm just a Vick fan, have been since he was at VT. I'm probally the only fan of his on this site..:p
Although I'm not a fan of "his" per say, more of him as a player.
Sorry Jagmanbrg, you are not the only Eagles fan on this site (though I am not a regular). I was born and raised in Philly and had season tixs to the Iggles (the philly pronunciation) for 12 years, until I moved to the West Coast. I saw them play last Thursday night and was supposed to fly back to Philly next weekend to see them with all my buddies (but can't).

Fly Eagles Fly!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should know tomorrow which puppy I am getting! I am very excited. Nolefan, thank you very much for that information. That makes sense.

I haven't researched training class just yet. I will be researching that tomorrow and I will probably have to take him to Saturday classes since I work Monday through Friday 8-5. I have talked to the breeder and the GRCA contact and she said that she offers classes. I also got contact numbers for several vets in the area, as well as several dog food suppliers. I have been spending the last month reading training books, and have puppy proofed most of the house.

As far as going to the vet goes, he will be up to date on everything concerning his health. I need to take him in on weeks 12 and 16 for shots correct? Are there any other checkup dates that I should note? I would assume a good checkup date is 6 months?

I am trying to decide on some names: Atticus (a little too long), Myles, Sully, or Astro. I did originally have Winston picked out... I am not sure about that name though. I am leaning toward Sully (more so this one) or Myles though.

What do you all think?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
My name 'test' is to open the front door and yell the name down the street! If it doesnt roll off my tongue naturally...move on to the next name! ;)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm glad you had outlets to help you make an informed decision! I had a similar experience with this forum haha... I had been committed to a breeder since before the birth of the litter and a few days before i was going to go pick him up I found a thread on this site about the breeder! I was mortified! However, she thankfully gave me my deposit back and found another handsome boy and I just adore him!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first breeder did not give me back my security deposit. She said she will if she is able to sell the pup for the full price. I wish I had done my research before hand, but oh well. Everything happens for a reason, right?

The new breeder gave me a call today and the guy who had a security deposit down on the first pick wants two pups now. And he wants the two I posted about, so the "runt" of the litter is taken first and since I have second choice she told me that I can either take the one with the white spot on his head or the other one. I really do want the one with the white spot on his head, however, he plays with the "runt" a lot of the time and I would hate to break them up.

Since I am going tomorrow to choose the one I am getting, I will take a look at the middle of the pack one and the one with the white spot and decide between the two. I think I am going to go with the name Sully, or Sulley, I haven't decided on the spelling.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
At least it was only $100 (not that it isn't awful to not get money back)... My deposit was $500!!!! I didn't expect her to give it back so it was a pleasant surprise! Have you met these pups before? Don't just choose based on looks... Choose based on energy level and temperment... Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!! They really change your life in a great way!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I have met them! I am the one holding them in the two pictures I posted. I took the time to meet the sire (offsite) and the dame was obviously with her pups, and the dames mom was there too. The looks are how I remember them though. I don't want to give a puppy a name until I know I will be bringing that one home with me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm very excited for you!!!! Seems like you have properly educated yourself and this is going to bring so much joy to you!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, so here he is. I will be bringing him home on January 6th (at 8 weeks). I am getting very excited.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts