Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New puppy what to do?

715 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  GoldenRetieverL0ver08
Hi, i have a golden a little over one year old. And now we got another golden retriever puppy. He is 10 weeks old almost 11 born 11/6/22, he barks and whines in his kennel and i can barely get him to stop, but otherwise he loves his kennel he will go in there anytime he wants. He is super smart and nows sit, come, his name and how to ring the bell to go potty. Are there any tips for socializing my dog with him, and his barking? He only barks when we lock him in his kennel and chews/kongs do nothing. And my golden has anxiety but will play with him when she feels. And they really go at it, i break it up when she gets to rough. Thanks in advance!
Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore Pet supply
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Golden Retriever
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girl is 10 weeks also! She whined alit the first week in her crate but what helped us was a camera by her crate so we could check in on her and praise her remotely when she did settle down. Also some crate training - feeding her in there with the door open, then closed. With and without us in the room. Shorter crate sessions, especially in the mornings when she had a lot of energy. Now she rarely whines and settles into her crate well. We even went out to dinner the last couple of nights so she was completely alone, and when we looked at the camera she was settled or napping the whole time.

Make sure she is fed/watered/pottied before going in the crate. If she uncomfortable she'll bark and whine.

Good luck, I think your pup will get used to it eventually.
Thanks, i figured out when he whines at night or bark it is to go potty. The first night he slept from 10 p.m to 5 a.m then the second night he was up every 2 hours and last night he was up at 1 a.m , 5 a.m anf then 6 because thats our wakeup time. We fed him in his kennel today and he was ok with it. He goes into his kennel when ever he sleeps and he only barks if we close the door. But at night i cant leave it open, he has gotten better so i hope he keeps getting better. Thank you!

· Registered
Golden Retriever
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2.5 year old golden and a new 11 week old puppy. It took him a couple weeks to not whine in the crate but now he is sleeping through the night just fine. We originally had the crate next to our bed, but we moved it to our closet where it’s nice and dark. He doesn’t seem to hear us if we get up in the middle of the night and just seems to sleep better!

Mine also love to play but around 7:30pm…I take them on a walk (we do a morning and afternoon walk too). When we get home from the night walk, I separate them and give him a KONG to settle down for the night. I was finding he was getting kind of ornery if I didn’t help him settle down before bed.
He has also been out a lot more instead of in the crate since my other golden keeps him company, but lately I have been focusing on having him nap every couple hours in his crate.
Ok, thank you! He is 11 weeks old now almost 12 weeks and he is sleeping from 9:30-10 o clock to 6 a.m which is my regular wake up time. We did switch foods so his belly was a little upset at first. All i have to do is put him in his kennel with a bone and he is out in seconds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts