Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a question about health guarantees and breeder contracts.

before bringing our beautiful new 12 week old girl home from the breeder, I made an appointment with our vet to have her seen and updated vaccines etc.
The night we brought her home, she had diarrhea. Called the breeder next morning to let her know and get some advice. At the appointment the next day, the vet found hookworm in the stool sample and a bacterial infection.
We are treating with prescription W/D and antibiotics.

The contract we signed stated the Breeder would take back a puppy for health or temperament reasons. We already love her, wouldn't take her back for parasite infestation as long as it can be treated.
My question is: is it reasonable to expect the breeder to reimburse for cost of treatment for parasite and infection that came from the breeder?
Thank you for your advice.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
I'm sorry. I don't know the answer. I know puppies often come home with parasites despite being given meds by breeders. Not sure if that is something they pay for or if it is just part of puppy maintainance. However, I think they should be responsible for the whole bacterial thing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help here.

I know when Emma was sick with a nasty bladder infection which was supposed to be gone when I picked her up, the breeder said she wanted to do the responsible thing. It ended up taking a very long time and several vet visits to clear up. I never made the breeder pay though. I often think maybe I should have. It was pretty expensive, several hundred by the time all was said and done.

I hope your puppy heals quickly and you have no further issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Depends on the contract. Our contract specifies "no," because a breeder cannot safeguard such an occurrence. As our vet explained, worms are like "aliens" that can be dormant and transmitted via the mother's milk. Even if the breeder has started deworming the puppy, it may show up anyway because of timing. Deworming may work with adult worms and not the larvae that gets transmitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Still treating for bacterial infection and so far the cost is around $125.00 for food and meds. Not too bad.
The worst is lack of sleep while trying to maintain housebreaking schedule.
Safy is so very good and wakes us every 2 hours to go out with diarrhea. I hope the course of treatment works.:crossfing

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Good luck! I hope she feels better? Did you decide what you were going to do in terms of the breeder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the breeder was kind and responsible enough to pay for the 1st course of treatment. This is unfortunately an ongoing problem (see 4 month old undernourished puppy). I have not asked for further assistance on the breeders part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 4 month old golden girl safy has had diarrhea almost every day since bringing her home at 12 weeks (and 17lbs.)
The breeder said the litter had coxcemia(sp?) but was over it and should be good to go.

The vet prescribed metronidazol and prescription W/D, gradually adding regular puppy food until ratio was 1 cup dry to ¼ can W/D. We were able to get her to that point for about 3 days and doing well until suddenly without warning her stool was liquid again.
This was 2 days past the end of metronidazol.
He is now on vacation until the 20th of June.
I am very worried that Safy is not getting the nutrition necessary for healthy growth.
She is only 26 lbs and looks like a poor neglected pup. What to do? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts