Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know that this has probably been WAY over talked about, but I tried searching this out & where I'm not a sponsored member it takes forever to search, and because I have a VERY slow computer!
So I am just going to go ahead and ask...
I need some Bringing New Puppy Home tips--I want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible as he settles in!

HEis 11 going on 12weeks old...He has been raised on a farm with lots of animals, but as an inside dog...So he is crate trained, and potty training going good they said. Supposed to be a Very Loving Boy, and doesn't meet a stranger.
I also would LOVE any tips on introducing my 18month old son, and this new pup. This puppy has had encounters with children and did great, just not on a daily basis.
If you remember something you've done with your pups, or anything that seemed to make things easier, or something I needed to be reminded of when bringing a pup to his new home--anything will help! ;)
I'm searching around on the net, I just want us all to have an easy transistion! I haven't raised a puppy in a few years, so this is all fairly new and scary for me LOL ;) Very Excited though!

Keeping my fingers crossed he isn't a crier! That'll be all of us up all night...But, we are expecting the worse so whatever does happen we will be prepared for.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
1)A nice, safe crate with a sheet to pull over it at night, and a vinyl, cheap shower curtain underneath to protect the floor. Make sure to take collar off, always, before closing crate door.

2) A collar, leash, puppy-sized brush and nail clippers, a mild dog shampoo like cowboy magic; Wet Ones or baby wipes to quickly clean up pup

3) a prescheduled appointment with your own vet to wellness check the pup from head to toe in the first 48 hours; a copy of the book Puppy's First Steps by Dr. Nicholas Dodman from Tufts University.

4) fun "educational" toys like a puppy kong, a soft toy, puppy keys toy- a few things okay for puppy to chew.

5) Frozen carrots/ ice-cubes with peanut butter centers are healthy ways to keep pup busy.

6)Optional but useful: a clicker for positive, fun training; a "treat box" to teach the slightly older pup recall. Just take a plastic tupperware type dish with a cover and break up dog biscuits/cookies into tiny piece(they have to rattle), and add in a little kibble and also some higher value stuff like Solid Gold Tiny Tots or even some turkey or Nautral Balance Roll. When you call pup, shake the treat dish, and soon he should be flying to you when he hears it.

7) A baby gate

8) a mat or bed so you can teach the command "place".

9) Nature's Miracle spray to dissolve the smell of any housebreaking accident; some people really like bitter apple spray for electrical cords etc, though I dont use it.

10)The pup's vaccination/ worming record, heartguard and frontline( depending on where you live).

There's lots of new puppy cheer on this thread http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=50228

·
Registered
211 Posts
Congratulations Kelly! Jill gave some great advice so I'll just add a couple of things regarding introducing puppy and baby. I would imagine at first the puppy will be likely to want to jump on your son so you need to nip that in the bud right from the start especially since baby's smell really tasty (cookies and stuff). If you can get one person to hold the puppy and another to hold your son that way both can be monitored while they get used to each other. Once both have calmed down get your son to give the puppy some treats, maybe if you can even get him to hand feed the puppy a little bit of the puppy's breakfast, lunch and dinner for the first while.

You will find that while you need to train the puppy you will also need to train your son on how to handle the puppy. Puppy's also like to chew on everything and little kids fingers, toes and clothes are great because they are right at the same height. Teach your son that if he runs around the puppy the puppy will try to chase him and want to play (in that rough puppy sort of way).

You will have your hands full with both of them but it is all worth it. Although my kids are much older than your son (8 and 10), they adore Molly and watching her with them makes my heart swell.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
My advice is enjoy each and every day, both with the puppy and with your 18 month old. They grow so fast, even when you get frustrated remember this will pass so fast and then you will long for the days of sweet puppy (or baby) breath and that cute little one following you everywhere.
Best advice...love him to pieces, laugh all the time, and cherish every moment!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Most important - don't let your puppy get away with anything that won't be acceptable down the road eg. lying on the couch, the bed, jumping up, begging, etc. etc.

As well, start your obedience training right away - it's amazing what a puppy can learn! Make your puppy sit & wait for his meals (my 17 week old puppy has been doing this since he came home @ 11 weeks of age along with 4 year old Riley & almost 2 Nyg), touch your puppy & his food every time you feed him (ensure there is no food aggressions that could get out of hand - especially with a little one around), start him on a leash, don't let him dominate you, do grooming on an almost daily basis (to get him used to nail clipping, etc).... etc., etc., etc.

Most importantly - ENJOY him as a welcome member of your family! .....and remember that he's a baby!

PS: I had a well planned introduction for the new puppy and the two other furkids but that all went out the window when we came into the house. Razz went right into play mode with the older two & it hasn't stopped! The only one I have to say "Settle it down" to is the puppy! Nyg & Riley are most tolerant of Razz's puppy behaviour even though I have had to step in, remove Razz and make him settle down. So much for my well thought out into plans!

Oh yeah - ALWAYS have your camera ready as you never know when that special Kodak moment will happen.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Very good advice so far!

The only thing I would add would be to take many pictures of your son and puppy together - and post them here... OFTEN!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone!! :)
You ALL gave some GREAT! advice & Tips!!!
&Thank you for the step by step advice Jill! :)
I hope our search has ended tomorrow, and we get to FINALLY bring home our own golden boy!! I have to admit I am VERY nervous of the thought of taking care of two babies! an 18month old, and a 12week old puppy! Wow what a job lol But I am Very Excited & know how rewarding it's going to be once they both learn how to properly play, & be together!!
I grew up with dogs and they were and still are an Important Part in my life, They were always the friend to play with when I was bored, Shoulder to Cry on when I was sad, Best Friend that knew ALL my secrets, Always beside me when I was sick...etc.. & I really want that for my son, & I need a dog in my life too. So I'm really hoping that missing piece I feel not having a dog around the house for the last few years will be filled! :eek:

I'm off now to a Dr's Appt, and then we have to go get a few things we need from Tractor Supply for our pup--If we don't get him then I can easily take him back, so no worries there. I just want to be prepared! lol or OVERLY prepared as we all are with our new pups!! HAHA ;)
They have him on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy, I think I am going to keep him on it until he is Well Settled in & then switch him to something I feel is better.

Thanks again!! I needed a refresher, Hoping once our pup gets here everything will come back! :D

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
1) Take loads of pictures of pup and baby growing up together.

2) Never leave pup and baby unattended together.

3) It's never too early to puppy how to properly interact with baby.

4) It's never too early to teach son how to properly interact with puppy.

Your new puppy will go through a mouthing phase where they chew and bite on anything they can get into their mouths. Plus the whole house-breaking phase. I highly recommend you tie the dog to you as you go about your life. That way the puppy cannot get into anything or do anything he should not without your being aware.

Everytime he potties in the house or chews on something he shouldn't, it reinforces the behavior. The easiest way to train is to never let it happen.

I raised 2 black labs while raising my children and it was wonderful.

All the best to you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only other thing I would add is patience.. For every late night, early morning, lost hour of sleep, accident, breakage or chewing something they shouldn't, there will be hundreds hours more pleasure and fun with him and there is nothing like being greeted by those droppy ears and wagging tail everytime you come home or wake up...

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'm not a crate trainer, so I won't be able to help there.

I do have one word of advice. Remember, that every puppy is a Land Shark at this age, and their teeth are like needles. Be mindful of the fact he will probably be very mouthy at this age, and it can hurt!

Keep that in mind when he's with your 18 month old son.

One other suggestion. ZANIES! Lots and lots of ZAINIES!

Okay so I know that this has probably been WAY over talked about, but I tried searching this out & where I'm not a sponsored member it takes forever to search, and because I have a VERY slow computer!
So I am just going to go ahead and ask...
I need some Bringing New Puppy Home tips--I want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible as he settles in!

HEis 11 going on 12weeks old...He has been raised on a farm with lots of animals, but as an inside dog...So he is crate trained, and potty training going good they said. Supposed to be a Very Loving Boy, and doesn't meet a stranger.
I also would LOVE any tips on introducing my 18month old son, and this new pup. This puppy has had encounters with children and did great, just not on a daily basis.
If you remember something you've done with your pups, or anything that seemed to make things easier, or something I needed to be reminded of when bringing a pup to his new home--anything will help! ;)
I'm searching around on the net, I just want us all to have an easy transistion! I haven't raised a puppy in a few years, so this is all fairly new and scary for me LOL ;) Very Excited though!

Keeping my fingers crossed he isn't a crier! That'll be all of us up all night...But, we are expecting the worse so whatever does happen we will be prepared for.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you Guys! :) I appreciate all the help VERY much!
I definitely have patience down lol--you HAVE to have patience with an 18month old--I'm also use to the crying all night to--So I'm pretty good with that lol..
I just got a call earlier from them, & I'm sorry he's on Iams--not Eukanuba.

Anyway, I do have a little bit of a dilemma that I had totally forgot about fixing--The crate we have is an X-LARGE Crate, its big! We got it a long time ago "like 10yrs?" lol its in great condition, just some scratches and it looks just the same as the ones made today--BUT without a Divider. :( I have no idea what I am going to do, this is WAY to much room for him. He's JUST turning 12weeks & this is just a BIG crate!
Any Ideas? I've heard of someone using a box, but I figure he'll just make a big mess with that, My dad said he can make something for me that will be safe but it will be a couple days. Maybe Ill just try it and if he has an accident then try to find something--I just feel like I'm inviting him to use the bathroom in his crate though lol

Anyway - Off to get a MUCH NEEDED nap, I'm hoping he is a good boy and doesn't cry through the night, But I'm expecting the worse lol so Whatever happens won't be so bad ;)
We have made a pick up time and place to meet--we will be picking him up at 10:30am--Should be back by 1. I'll be taking at least one pic for you guys tomorrow :) The way they talk about him I think he is going to be for us! We will see tomorrow!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
This is a very timely topic and I hope you keep on getting and giving puppy tips. I work on our rescue group's newsletter and we will be doing a puppy issue in the fall. I'm starting to think of topics now. I've sent a bunch of emails out to some of our puppy litter adopters to see what their tips/issues are. So far most are stressing obedience training and lots of chew toys! I got one response yesterday from a lady who sent a photo of her puppy, in his crate, with stuffing all around him and a very satisfied look on his face--it seems he chewed up his crate bedding! Takes me back to the time my 11 month old puppy greeted me with my chewed up cell phone in his mouth!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts