Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a new puppy, he is 8 weeks old. Weve had him for about 5 days so far, he is a great, sweet puppy. However yesterday we noticed he started scratching his ears alot. It really came out of nowhere...no scratching at all to scratching ALOT but only his ears. Ive checked for fleas but there are none anywhere. He is scheduled for his next round of shots in a week or so but until then, any ideas what it could be? Is it normal to have itchy ears?? I feel like a mom with a newborn baby:eek: always asking if something is wrong with my new baby, lol! Any advice would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
It could be ear mites. Bella had them really early, and the vet gave her some ear drops that cleared them right up. Do the insides of his ears smell bad?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His ears dont smell, I also dont see any thing in them (can you see mites?) could it be allergies maybe? Someone told me to switch dog food...does that make sense to anyone...Ive never had a dog so it sounded weird to me but maybe some of you seasoned pet owners know something I dont! Cant wait to take him to the vet and have my mind settled!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am no seasoned pet owner here, so I'm sorry I can't help more. Bella's ears smelled with the ear mites, and there were black specks in her ears. So if you don't see that, it may not be that.

Definitely talk to your vet. Hope your babe gets better soon!

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I wouldn't jump to switching dog foods-that can bring with it a whole host of different problems! I agree with the collar comments-they really scratch when collars are first put on them. Has he gotten really wet recently, had a bath? He could have gotten some water in his ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts