Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had dogs all my life but this is my first golden. She is 4 months old and eating has become a little problem. She will not eat that much during the day for whatever reason. She will just leave the food in the bowl all day and kinda nibble on it. We have been feeding her three times a day as recommended by our vet. She was doing pretty good and now she won't really eat at all unless you put the food directly on the floor. Is she just being fussy? Should I worry about it ??

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
You should feed her on a set schedule. Feed her in the morning and evening (or 3 meals if you want). Leave the food down for 5-10 minutes. If she doesn't eat, take it up. That will prompt her to eat her food when you leave it down. Now she just thinks she can eat whenever she wants.

Reactions: Cora the golden

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Follow Rainhearts directions.

By feeding on a schedule you will be able to have more predictable poop times. When they "graze" it is up to nature. I did this at first and pups were pooping all the time and was impossible to get them to go to the Potty Place outside. We went to schedule feedings and within 15 min after meal we go to the correct spot, poop and all done! Has done wonders for housebreaking. Also much easier to monitor the amount of food they are eatting this way. If she misses a meal, don't worry as she will be more hungry for the next. It may take a bit, but you will be happy with scheduled feedings until she is mature, then do what works best for your family and situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts