Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fist time GR owner
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

We just got a GR puppy a little after Christmas she is about 9 1/2 weeks old now, she is so cute and sweet, and we just love her, her name is Holly.
But I am a little worried about her eating habits.

She was on puppy Iams, and had some pretty bad diarrhea, after looking up some things on the internet we decided to switch brands, in case she had an allergy. So we switched her to Natural balance, mixed it in with her Iams (although now I hear NB a high fatty food but I don't want to do another switch right away). Within a day and half she was having regular stools, I was so relieved.
We then had an appointment with the Vet the following day and told him about it, and asked him to test for allergies, and he said it would be rare since dogs don't develop allergies until about 2 years of age - he pretty much said he wouldn't do the test. Is this normal behavior for a Vet?

Now about week after we started the switch she has just stopped eating from her bowl. If I put food in my hand she will eat it, but I don't want to spend the rest of her life feeding her form my hand. I have tried adding water but that didn't seem to help.
This morning I added wet food to her bowl, and she loved it! But still left a lot of the dry food behind. I am worried she isn't eating enough.
She does seem to have a lot of energy stil so maybe I am just being too worried? ;):crossfing

Anyone have any experiences like this, or maybe any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,588 Posts
The Vet is correct, allergies would be highly unlikely for such a young puppy.

Puppies can devolop loose stools for a variety of reasons, food changes, water changes, stress, overfeeding, giardia and coccidia just to name a few.

If you're free feeding the pup, I would stop. You need to keep track of how much food the pup is actually consuming each day. I would offer a measured amount three times per day for a pup of this age. Measure the amount (I'm guessing something between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cup), put it in the bowl and put it down for the pup for 15 minutes. Pick up the bowl until the next meal time.

The pup will learn quickly that when it's time to eat, you eat. You don't dilly dally around trying to manipulate the boss and push his/her buttons. ;)

·
Fist time GR owner
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I having been leaving the food out for about 30 minutes, I will cut that down to 15 and see if that helps.
I also feed her in her crate, I don't shut the door just place the food and keep the water in there. Is that a good tatic?
I had the bowls in the kitchen, but they never seemed to interest her - when they are in the crate she seem to notice them more.

Thanks for the tip :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts