Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we are picking up our puppy later today, and my question is; will Codie (our pup) be able to distinguish his stuffed toys vs the kid's toys? Although the puppy will not have unrestricted access to the kids rooms where the toys are kept, sometimes they do bring down their lovey in the morning with them. Is there a way for the puppy to know which stuffed toys are his and which ones are the kids? We have not bought any stuffed toys for the puppy thinking that he would be confused, but I LOVE the look of dogs with their stuffed animals. Is there a way to train him not to touch the kid's toys, and only play with his? Thanks!
I'll post photos once we get some! :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Generally speaking NO!! lol And that goes for their clothes, sock, shoes, other toys...basically anything within reach. It's the nature of puppies. Be very careful with the kid's socks. Many of the pups on the forum have had emergency vet treatment for socks that got swallowed; some even having to have surgery to remove them.

Sounds like your children are quite young. You'll have to keep a watchful eye anytime the pup and the kids are together.

·
Kristy
9,796 Posts
When your dog is older, he should understand the difference between his toys and the kids'. But it will depend on the dog. A puppy will not and wouldn't care even if he did understand. Be prepared that he will be a puppy for a good three years or longer. Your puppy can have stuffies, but shouldn't ever have access to them unless you're there to keep an eye on him and take it if he starts to destroy it.

Go ahead and get him a TON of his own toys, and make sure they are always handy. Puppies are like kids and he will have his favorites. If you can stay organized and remember to rotate the toys in and out in shifts it will keep things more interesting for him. Even something like a super heavy duty plastic gallon of orange juice is a great toy when it's empty and the cap has been removed.

Penny's mom is right, your biggest battle will be making sure your kids don't leave socks laying around and toys where the puppy can get them. My beloved first dog was about 8 years old when he ate my oldest daughters stuffed toy and it killed him. I can't stress to you enough that it is important to keep the puppy confined when you can't watch him 100%. You are smart to keep the kids' rooms off limits completely. Baby gates are your friend. Good luck!

I almost forgot something, if you haven't signed up for puppy kindergarten yet, start searching for the right class tomorrow morning. It's the most important thing you can do to make sure your puppy has a long healthy happy life with your family. The bests dog training clubs have their classes fill up very quickly, so it will be important to start looking immediately. You won't regret the time you spend training your puppy, it will pay off all his life.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would limit stuffed toys for a bit as the stuffing can scatter all over the house (don't get any with beads, lol). Rubber bones work good, especially when they loose their puppy teeth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts