Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9 week old puppy Sam has been with us two weeks. He is doing amazingly well. He and Cash (our 14 month old golden) are best buds! I am having two issues that I need guidance on:

1. Sam will growl at me, my husband and daughter when he is being removed from a situation. Whether it is after play with Cash or just messing around in the back yard and I will need to pick him up to bring him in. He will give me a growl and sometimes a snap. I feel like he is trying to figure out ALPHA position amongst our pack. I don't give in and carry on. I correct him with a BAH sound (we used barkbusters with Cash) and he usually stops. Cash never did this as a pup but he didn't have the influence of rough housing with another dog so he was just naturally calmer. Suggestions?

2. Sam is doing well night in his crate. Occasionally we are taking him out once in the middle of the night to potty. But, he is UP and ADAM at 5 am every morning! This morning it was 4:30! He is so tired by 8:30 every night and we try to keep him up but it is impossible. He barked and whined LOUDLY this morning for 20 minutes then finally settled down but by that time I was wide awake! It is almost like letting your baby cry it out! Suggestions on what to do to get him to settle, sleep until at least 6?????

Thank you! I have learned so much from this forum and appreciate any guidance you can give me!:bowl:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a similar issue with my new puppy. She is best buds with our mini dachshund and they run and play all the time. What I like to do is give them a nap break for a half hour or so around 6:30 or 7. Then I let them play again and they play all the way till 10.
My Gabby has been a great sleeper though, so for that I am lucky. She won't wake up until 6:30 and only then because she hears me getting up and getting ready for work.
Hopefully someone will have a good answer for the growling, because I am not sure on that.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I think it's hard for them to sleep through the night at only 9 weeks. I remember with Merlin I wondered if I'd ever get to sleep past 6 am again! You will though! :)

The first 2 weeks we had him I set my alarm and took him out around 3 to go potty, then back to bed. I didn't turn on any lights, talk happy or play, we just went out and did business and came back in.

If he's out by 8:30 in the evening, you might want to take him out earlier than 3.

I don't know what to tell you about the growling, but I suspect following Oaklys dads advice will help.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
For the sleeping, it's just like babies! Ignore, ignore, ignore when they act in ways you don't like, and then reward what you do like.

For the growling, that's a problem that can become serious over time. I'd be careful of thinking about it as an "alpha" problem, because that may encourage you to "dominate" him, which will likely just make him more anxious. The "bah" is probably fine, but a proactive approach in getting him to look to you for leadership in other areas will help solve the general problem, not just the unwanted behavior.

The suggestion to have each family member take turns hand feeding for a while is good, as is the "NILIF" (nothing in life is free) training program, which is outlined here. If you're going to do it, make sure every family member does it or you'll be undermining each other.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Maybe slowly put him to bed 15 min later each night and then a couple of nights later 15 minutes longer and get up alittle later each day. That is what I did with Bama.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help with the first one but the second one I might be able to offer what we did with Molly at that age. She too would wake up at the crack of dawn and I would just wait until she was quiet, don't go down when they are barking or whining it reinforces the behaviour, and let her out for a pee. As Merlin's mom suggests don't interact. I then put her back to bed and said good night. Molly would cry or bark for a while but would eventually go back to sleep. She is 9 months now and usually sleeps until 8:00 but some mornings has let us sleep until 10:00. It is all about routine with them and waiting until they are not whining or barking. They are so much like children and like children they do learn to sleep longer.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Yeah, they are a lot like kids aren't they?

Except they learn to use the dog door a LOT earlier :)

Unfortunately I can't help with the first one but the second one I might be able to offer what we did with Molly at that age. She too would wake up at the crack of dawn and I would just wait until she was quiet, don't go down when they are barking or whining it reinforces the behaviour, and let her out for a pee. As Merlin's mom suggests don't interact. I then put her back to bed and said good night. Molly would cry or bark for a while but would eventually go back to sleep. She is 9 months now and usually sleeps until 8:00 but some mornings has let us sleep until 10:00. It is all about routine with them and waiting until they are not whining or barking. They are so much like children and like children they do learn to sleep longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts