Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We brought home our 8 week old puppy ( photos coming soon!). Today is Day 2 of her (Summer) being home

I have a few questions, that I would love to get some clarifications:

1) Is my overall routine plan ok:

Eat ( Purina Big Breed Puppy - continuing the same as what the breeder was giving for a couple of weeks): 1/3 to 1/2 cup around 8 am, 1 pm, 6pm.

PS: The kibble is so dry - breeder suggested adding some warm water - good idea?

Water: every 2 hrs

Potty (take her out): Go out 1-2 hrs after food

PeePee: Go out 30 min after water and food and pretty much every hour. In the night - I stop any intake by 8 pm

2) The puppy is chewing on mulch and pretty much everything in the garden - and I cant seem to stop her. Is that OK? She doesnt seem swallow too much, but it worries me.

3) When do we put a leash on her neck so that we can handle/control her?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Potty her immediately after eating and every 20-30 minutes while she is awake and out of her crate.
Put her on a leash outside to keep her out of the mulch.
Fresh water at all times.

I had my puppy leashed(teathered) any time she was loose in the house. Attaching puppy to me or allowing her to drag it made it easier for me to grab her as needed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I added water to Beckett’s kibble, and still do if I’m feeding him from the bowl.
I put a slip lead on for the backyard at the first potty and he usually keeps it on inside and out for the full day, unless he’s in the crate.
you can practice a Leave It command in the yard with training treats or even kibble. Many puppies eat grass and while a little is probably not bad, I wouldn’t allow it to be a major snack. You never know what is on the grass (fertilizers and chemicals) in public spaces, and if you have a big grass eater you don’t want them munching on that. Some mulch mixtures can be harmful for puppies/dogs, and it’s important to be on the lookout for rocks and pebbles. Check your yard to make sure you don’t have any toxic plants.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Agree totally with what Dunmar said especially leaving water down all the time. Use the search here for threads on potty training, crate training, puppy biting... there's tons of great information. Enjoy that new baby and we definitely need a picture 😊

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the helpful suggestion! will keep follow up on those - especially the leash part

She just ran into our rose bush today and her long ear got stuck in a thick thorn. She was in agony for 30 sec or so before I freed her.

The rose bushes are going today - Stressful :(

Pics attached!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added water to Beckett’s kibble, and still do if I’m feeding him from the bowl.
I put a slip lead on for the backyard at the first potty and he usually keeps it on inside and out for the full day, unless he’s in the crate.
you can practice a Leave It command in the yard with training treats or even kibble. Many puppies eat grass and while a little is probably not bad, I wouldn’t allow it to be a major snack. You never know what is on the grass (fertilizers and chemicals) in public spaces, and if you have a big grass eater you don’t want them munching on that. Some mulch mixtures can be harmful for puppies/dogs, and it’s important to be on the lookout for rocks and pebbles. Check your yard to make sure you don’t have any toxic plants.
I added warm water today to the kibble and Summer finally ate as much as the breeder said she “should” be eating! TY!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Potty her immediately after eating and every 20-30 minutes while she is awake and out of her crate.

I had my puppy leashed(teathered) any time she was loose in the house. Attaching puppy to me or allowing her to drag it made it easier for me to grab her as needed.
Very helpful. TY - would you recommend putting her in the crate even when she is awake?
We are home most of the time so dont “need” to crate her when she is awake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very helpful. TY - would you recommend putting her in the crate even when she is awake?
We are home most of the time so dont “need” to crate her when she is awake.
Crate her whenever you can't watch her. Even if it's just 5 minutes while you use the bathroom, make dinner, etc. It'll help her get used to the crate so down the road you can leave her in there while you run errands, work, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Leash and the schedule mentioned above have helped a lot!

One new area we need help with is puppy biting. She is hard to control and even if we say no or try to give her a chew toy, it doesnt seem to work.

We have nylabone puppy bone. but she seems to have lost interest in that. Any suggestions as to how to deal with it? I will also look up up threads on this topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Definitely crate her some. Help her to love her crate. I use treats. Just put one in there, letting her see you. Praise her when she gets it. Start adding a command "Crate" (or whatever you want to call it) once she does that a few times. Mine run into their crates these days the minute I say it. I give mine crate time each day - sometimes I'm in the room and sometimes I'm not.

Crate training is invaluable. You never know when you may need to crate your dog and it shouldn't be a scary first time experience. A crate offers a place to be calm and secure. If you google crate games, there are plenty of ways to make learning to love their crate fun. Although I don't ever use it as punishment scolding my dogs, sometimes if they are persistent about doing something I've asked them not to do, I will calmly put them in their crate for 10 to 15 minutes.

For the biting, distraction each time. I let out a little yelp. Let her know you don't like it. Don't let her keep doing it. I found some helpful information on the AKC's site.

AKC Puppy Biting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely crate her some. Help her to love her crate. I use treats. Just put one in there, letting her see you. Praise her when she gets it. Start adding a command "Crate" (or whatever you want to call it) once she does that a few times. Mine run into their crates these days the minute I say it. I give mine crate time each day - sometimes I'm in the room and sometimes I'm not.

Crate training is invaluable. You never know when you may need to crate your dog and it shouldn't be a scary first time experience. A crate offers a place to be calm and secure. If you google crate games, there are plenty of ways to make learning to love their crate fun. Although I don't ever use it as punishment scolding my dogs, sometimes if they are persistent about doing something I've asked them not to do, I will calmly put them in their crate for 10 to 15 minutes.

For the biting, distraction each time. I let out a little yelp. Let her know you don't like it. Don't let her keep doing it. I found some helpful information on the AKC's site.

AKC Puppy Biting

TY! will look up the AKC article!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts