Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

new puppy owner needs help

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  cathbarrett 
#1 ·
hi ev1. I am the proud owner of a handsome 14 week old golden name bodie.but he has a problem, he chews and chews himself. we taken him to the vet and she saids dry skin give him benadril and use the shampoo and condisher. well he still chews. we got him some stuff called missing link to mix in his food.can any 1 please help :confused:

#2 ·
Enzo was itchy when the winter started and we put a humidifier in our bedroom - it helped a bit. I know a lot of people use Microtek shampoo/spray on their dogs when they're itchy and I've heard it works wonders. That said, has there been any change in his food? And how long has the itching been going on? Our vet said that a lot of itching, especially if it's the legs/feet, could be a sign of an allergy. Also, have you checked him thoroughly for fleas??

#3 ·
Couple of things.... How long have u had the pup? What kind of shampoo are u using? What kind of food are you feeding? I am guessing that the pup has been checked for intestinal parasites? I have used missing link before and was not impressed and it is not a quick fix.

#4 ·
Here's some of the most common things that make dogs itchy:

- fleas (mammals can develop allergies to the flea's saliva)
- environmental allergies (mould, dust, pollen)
- food allergies (most common are: beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy)
- shampoo residue
- mites (cause mange)
- thyroid/immune conditions (e.g. hypothyroidism and Cushings disease)

Here's a few links to articles about itchiness in dogs:
Dogs In Canada Magazine -- » Troubleshooting itchy skin
Dog Itchy Skin - Symptoms and Natural Treatment
Skin and Allergy Problems in Dogs

If you've taken him to the vet and the vet has eliminated all the parasitic and usual disease suspects, then I would start a careful process of elimination, for example, remove all beef products from his diet, and watch for signs of improvment. It will take time and patience, but when you find out what it is, it will make your dog's life a lot more comfortable.

- Tania

#5 ·
Adding humidity to the air may help immensely if you have very dry air.

Try not to shampoo too often -- bathing can make dry skin worse.

Another thought may be to gradually switch your pup to a diet of a lamb dog food. Lamb is helpful for skin and coat conditions. There are also supplements that can be purchased at a pet supply store that can help with skin and coat conditions. Quite often the switching to a lamb food works better than the supplements, though.

If dry skin becomes infected or sores develop, an ointment like Neosporin can be helpful too.

#7 ·
ty all 4 responding, we feed him nurto puppy, we just change it to the lamb , we olny had him sence dec 4 i think the breeder knew he had problems. but now we love him dearvet .the shampoo the vet gave us has no soap in it said bath him twice a week.he has no flees any1 know about the fish oil

#8 ·
I would personally get him on a different food.

Most recommend bathing about every 2 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if he's having skin problems if he's being bathed twice a week. What shampoo are you using?

Fish oil helps for sure but I think the problem is in the constant bathing, not the lack of fish oil.

#9 ·
the shampoo is ac\c we got it from the vet.it wasnt helping so we took him back,they did a skin test that came back good no parasites were changing his food to lamb and rice for large breed puppies. where do u get your food? i really love this site spent hours reading ev1 forms and love the pitcher of all the dogs i will put more of bodie up soon ty again all love ya o by theway my name is jenny :)

#11 ·
Hi Jenny!

My name is Laura I just posted a question in these forums about my 10 week old puppy's itching (paws, tail, head shaking). I've read a lot about how Extra Virgin Coconut Oil can be very beneficial to many ailments that dogs and Golden Retrievers can have. You can buy it at Health Food Stores. Runs about $13.00 for 20 ounces.

• Reduces or eliminates odour and bad breath in dogs
  • Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, itchy skin, etc
  • Makes coats become sleek and glossy
  • Helps reduce weight, increases energy, improves digestion
  • May help with arthritis or ligament problems
  • Can also be applied topically to cuts, wounds, infected ears, bites and stings

Here is a link more about it as well as dosage and such:

health benefit of COCONUT OIL - Pets-n-People

Maybe adding the coconut oil to your dog's diet/rubbing it on problem areas will be a great help in addition to it's diet changes you've already made. But Caution: too much of the oil may cause a laxative effect, so start out small. I've also heard that Fish Oil will help.

The question I had was regarding whether the oil should say "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil" or "Virgin Coconut Oil". I've read that Extra Virgin is the one that should be used. The one I bought was just Virgin. But I see on other sites that people use just Virgin and it works just as good. I just posted the question today on this forum, here is that link:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...0-virgin-extra-virgin-coconut-oil-better.html

On a side note: In my researching, I have come up with a philosophy that will help my Starla: If something can be fixed via a natural way (such as vitamins, oils, changes in diet/etc.) then I will always use those tactics first. Medication will be last resort. I just feel strongly that medications are not natural, and have chemicals in them. Of course, if the vet strongly recommended that I use a med in an extreme case, then I would. But for mild problems there are plenty of natural remedies that can be applied first :)

I hope your baby gets well soon!

#18 ·
Salmon oil or other fish oils are also helpful in the winter. I give my guys either a salmon oil capsule or a sardine on their food. If chewing of body is confined to a specific area (foot) you could apply bitter apple to the the area to discourage chewing. It is a chewing breed and physical ailments seem to encourage this response.

#19 ·
As stated it could be a food allergy too. We used to feed Nutro. Which level are you on? Check the ingredients, many dogs are allergic to corn, if corn is an early listing on the ingredients that may be your problem. We had that issue with our lab. However as also stated, switch any food very slowly over a period of weeks.

Smell his ears, sometimes an allergy will make their ears smelly and they can get more build up in the ears as a result.

Good luck the salmon oil can't hurt at all makes them very shiny.

Your pup is about the same age as mine is. She is about to enter the BIG teething phase. My husband thinks he noticed her adult teeth beginning to show up. So the chewing could get worse. Do watch and try to keep him from chewing himself.

One last thing... sometimes chewing themselves is a nervous habit... Not common but I have known a couple dogs who have done it.

#20 ·
have you cleaned carpets or anything like that recently? That can set a puppy off as well. I would get him on a good sensitive stomach or skin diet...and see if that helps too. I'd also find a one stop shop shampoo with an oatmeal base. Too much washing can dry him out as well. Make sure you dry under his arms as well - so he does not get too damp and develop sores if your washing a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.