Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Milo's mummy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :)

I have had a golden before but we rescued him when he was 1 year and he was trained. I feel I am fully prepared for all the accidents, chewing, sleepless nights (basically not a perfect golden straight away!)

There is just a few things I would like to ask your advice on as there are so many different opinions.

What does everyone think of the bell training by the back door? So the dog learns to ring when it feels the need to go?

And other questions I don't feel 100% confident on what to do when the biting kicks in? I'm unsure how to react or what steps to do?

We bring our pup home on 1st march and are thinking of calling him Milo.

Thank you for reading :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
We started training Luna with a bell the day she came home (8 weeks). She was essentially trained (no potty accidents) in less than two weeks, and we could take her to visit family and had no problems there when the bell was hung on the door. BUT she now rings the bell (six months) whenever she wants out - to potty or to play... You'll need to be able to know when she gets serious! Luna was never a biter - she occasionally would put her mouth on us, but a firm UhUh or squeal was all that she needed. She was a "no mouth on people" dog before she was 12 weeks old, but lots of folks have very different experiences.

You might get more responses posting your questions in the Puppy forum.

Attachments

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
I used the bell for my last golden, Emma. She was just not catching on to the idea of potty training....until I hung the bell on the door and it immediately clicked for her. She was about six months old at the time. Emma was the same as Luna, she would ring the bell just to go outside for play time. :) If I didn't react fast enough, she would ring the bell continuously until I got up to go outside with her. :)

With my current golden, Josie, I tried the bell at 13 weeks and she did not get it at all, but she was easier to potty train then Emma was. I always had a treat in my pocket with me when we went outside and as soon as she went, she got the treat. Josie does very well with treat rewards, so you'll just have to see what works best for your pup!

Enjoy every minute of bringing home the new puppy! It goes by way too fast.

·
Milo's mummy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both that is so helpful.

I think I might give the bell a go straight away but if he does okay without it them I may leave it. With the biting I will try the uh uh like you said but just worried as read so many horror stories!

Thank you x

·
Thor's Momma
1,733 Posts
We love the bells ! I made some for Thor is a quiet boy so he would just sit there. Now he nudges the bells and it's awesome.

·
Milo's mummy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww that's great :). I love the name Thor. Do you think I should try it straight away or wait and see how training goes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts