Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Hope everyone is coping well with the current crisis. Just like many others, we got a new puppy during the quarantine. He is a black golden, his grandfather is a black lab, and we have our golden girl, Bella. She is almost 6 years old. She accepted him well, but set up boundaries right away: no jumping on her, no taking her toys, chewing her bones, and no eating when she is eating. Baby Bruce is a quick learner and respects her space. She snapped at him twice (broke my heart), but then right away began licking him. I supervise them constantly, but want to establish healthy relationship of sharing toys nicely, and chewing their bully sticks/bones without any aggression. Would appreciate all advices from multiple dog owners! Thank you. Proud mom of Bella and Bruce.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Get rid of anything that can cause a fight. It isnt worth having it around. Bully sticks can be given if they are separated. Feed them separately etc until they are more used to eachother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get rid of anything that can cause a fight. It isnt worth having it around. Bully sticks can be given if they are separated. Feed them separately etc until they are more used to eachother.
Thanks, that's what I did. Will it change in the future? when they get used to each other?

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,215 Posts
Congrats on your new pup, is Bruce a Flat Coated Retriever?

Bella is teaching Bruce manners and is completely normal.
I would just let them work it out, but always supervise them.
Bella may need some time to herself too, a break from the pup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your new pup, is Bruce a Flat Coated Retriever?

Bella is teaching Bruce manners and is completely normal.
I would just let them work it out, but always supervise them.
Bella may need some time to herself too, a break from the pup.
Thank you for your reassurance. Bruce's dad is a golden/lab mix, and mom is a golden. She had only two black pups in her litter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Bruce is so cute! My old dog was a "black golden" too, probably a golden/lab mix based on his personality.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
yes it gets better, Bella is teaching Bruce some manners. as long as there is no actual fight that breaks out & injury, it is fine, he will learn to respect her space over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts