Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a new male puppy who’s about 14 weeks old. Since we’ve had him for about 2 weeks now, he incessantly bites & wants to chew on everything including me & my 2 children. We can’t take a step without him biting at our pant legs, shoe laces, jackets or literally anything on our person. I have tried repeatedly giving him chew toys instead, saying no bite firmly, giving him time-outs, giving a yelp so he knows it’s too hard of a bite, etc.
But he just continues to bite & nip at me & the kids ALL day. And it can be painful, it’s not a delicate bite.
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
I’d GREATLY appreciate any & all input.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome to the world of the land shark! ..It takes some getting used to this stage and seems to be the norm for a Golden Puppy! I taught mine saying OW loudly when she got me with those little vampire teeth. (it's less bloody for you when the adult teeth come in..LOL).

I have owned many dogs during my life, and my Golden is very different than all of them. Patience and persistence are the keys and you will prevail! :)

Good luck with your new puppy!
Here is a start:

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Welcome, Congratulations on your new little guy.

I moved your thread into the Puppy up to 1 year section so your post would receive more views and replies.

Hope you'll share pictures of your little guy with us.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you type puppy biting into the search box you will see lots of threads with advice. It can be a miserable time when the biting is bad. You missed the tiny baby stage and got him around the worst age for biting so I know it is probably hard for everyone to tolerate. I remember thinking nothing I am doing to stop this is working but eventually there was improvement and the he finally stopped. I was so happy when the last of those needle sharp baby teeth fell out. Hang in there a few more weeks and keep training, it will get better and then stop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I stick my hands under my armpits, stiffen my body and look away and go "Nope I will not play with you until you are nice. Hmmph!". Works every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the world of the land shark! ..It takes some getting used to this stage and seems to be the norm for a Golden Puppy! I taught mine saying OW loudly when she got me with those little vampire teeth. (it's less bloody for you when the adult teeth come in..LOL).

I have owned many dogs during my life, and my Golden is very different than all of them. Patience and persistence are the keys and you will prevail! :)

Good luck with your new puppy!
Here is a start:

Thank you so much for your reply!
It’s nice to hear from others who’ve had/have Goldens and have some insight & knowledge about dogs.
I appreciate your advice with having “Patience & Persistence!” Good to know that this biting stage doesn’t last forever! 😜😊🤨

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing quite like adopting a rescue! It takes a warm heart and patience. Welcome!
Welcome, Congratulations on your new little guy.

I moved your thread into the Puppy up to 1 year section so your post would receive more views and replies.

Hope you'll share pictures of your little guy with us.
Thank you so much for moving my thread so that I’d get more replies! What a kind thing to do! I appreciate that. As being new to this forum site, I wondered if I was posting my question/thread in the right place to receive replies. So thank you again 😊

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Thank you so much for moving my thread so that I’d get more replies! What a kind thing to do! I appreciate that. As being new to this forum site, I wondered if I was posting my question/thread in the right place to receive replies. So thank you again 😊
You're welcome, I thought more members would see it if it was in the Puppy section and you'd get more answers to your questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum. If you type puppy biting into the search box you will see lots of threads with advice. It can be a miserable time when the biting is bad. You missed the tiny baby stage and got him around the worst age for biting so I know it is probably hard for everyone to tolerate. I remember thinking nothing I am doing to stop this is working but eventually there was improvement and the he finally stopped. I was so happy when the last of those needle sharp baby teeth fell out. Hang in there a few more weeks and keep training, it will get better and then stop.

~~Thank you so much for this insight! I’ve been thinking the same thing as you mentioned above that “nothing seems to be working with the constant biting!” So at least I know others have had similar issues with their golden’s biting problems & it’s only a matter of time before it ends! My golden, Marley is SO adorable & me & the kids just want to pet him, cuddle him, & love on him but it’s almost impossible to do so without him biting us (our hands, arms, hair, clothes, feet, etc.) Even just walking around the house or standing in the kitchen/living room, he will be right at our feet trying to bite anything he can clamp his teeth on or he jumps on my kids & bites on their clothes & starts pulling it with his teeth- like he’s doing tug of war. I’ve tried many different solutions but he just seems to be a persistent one with the biting.
I just need to keep at it & get through this puppy biting stage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s nice to hear from others who’ve had/have Goldens and have some insight & knowledge about dogs.
I appreciate your advice with having “Patience & Persistence!” Good to know that this biting stage doesn’t last forever! 😜😊🤨

·
Registered
601 Posts
TBH..This is my 1st Golden (used to raise Beagles) and I have only her to go by..Not anything else besides continuous study..
My 10 month old Golden has begun sassing me verbally to the max..She can be quite the pistil! LOL

Continued success with yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts