Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. Haven't been here in a while... We lost our 12 year old golden, Rosie, to cancer last Jan. Finally decided it was time for a new pup! We searched online and found a "breeder" selling puppies nearby. Went to her house.. She had at least 15 dogs of different breeds..5 chihuahua puppies, 2 golden puppies (one of which we adopted) a Chinese crested, lab, spaniel puppy, yorky.. 2 cats (that's just what we SAW). Small house in a shady area.. Smelled like a kennel. We saw Holly and just HAD to get her. I feel bad for not takin her sister out of there too! The lady said there were originally 9 of the goldens and they were the last two. Took her home, she was very active and curious with a HUGE appetite. Everything seemed normal except her poop was like liquid pea soup. I was nervous since that place was so shady. But my parents said its probably normal. So yesterday she pooped on the newspaper and I saw blood in it.. Immediately took her to the emergency vet. $317 later, turns out she has a lot of bacteria including coccidia, which is fatal of untreated, ESP to puppies! I'm so glad I trusted my instincts! I called the lady to tell her to check the others since its contagious and transmitted through contact with poop but she wasn't really thankful and didn't even apologize for selling me a sick puppy! I'm really mad that she didn't even have the decency to apologize and I really fear for those other puppies. I hope she gets them treated but I doubt she will. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm sorry you had a bad experience :( Thank god your pup has you tho!!!!! I don't have any advice, and I'm sorry for that, but there are lots of members on this forum with lots of info on this kinda thing so I'll be curious to hear what they say... Makes me wanna go there and take all of her animals!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't know about some ppl... Her reaction is ridiculous in the sense that she didnt appreciate your call AND wasn't apologetic... Just ridiculous...

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Depending on where she lives there may be a city law about how many dogs she can house on her property. Reporting her to the city may be the only thing you can do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.. I'll try the city.. Clinton Twp, Michigan. Also do you think I should call animal control? I just want someone to go in there and inspect it or something.. take all those puppies and test them for everything and make sure they get the care they need! It breaks my heart knowing that we left the rest behind and who knows what will happen to them! :-(

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well, I'm no expert, and I would follow a more informed person's advice, but calling animal control is what IIII would do... Hopefully they take it seriously...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
some states have puppy lemon laws...might be worth doing some research...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puppy lemon laws? Hm...Also I did some research and I think she's living in government housing.. not sure if that makes any difference but I'm pretty sure she's getting cash for the puppies/kittens and not declaring her income. My dad's a lawyer..hmmmmmm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts