Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have the most beautiful well behaved dog, Brody! He is 6 months old and like a child to us! Over the holiday we went to Florida to visit my family who also had some large breed dogs! Brody couldn't have been happier playing with us and the other dog. Part of me has already been thinking of another dog for us and for him to play with, but seeing how happy he was made me really want two dogs asap! We walk Brody daily off his leash and he just walks right with us, and I think having two would be good for him! But I don't want to get another puppy or dog too soon. I thought maybe I could get some opinions on how long I should wait until I get another dog and what others think!. I want to make sure the two are close enough in age that they can play but also want Brody to get the love and attention he needs now as a little pup :D

*Everyone has been telling me, "You can't have just one golden...", I guess they were right!!! :] Hah

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any time you feel is the right time, will be the perfect time for Brody to get a new pal. You will need to take account of the time that you would be able to spare for the new pup and Brody. You can wait another few months by which Brody will have grown up a bit more, if you can resist the temptation of having a new pup in the house as soon as possible :). Good Luck and keep us posted about your decision.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I waited until my first sweetie, Spip the Lab, was two until I added Flem; I might have waited one more year but the opportunity was there and it was a good time for our household. They are close enough in age that they did -and still do- enjoy playing with each other and we had had time to work through the "teenager" phase of Spip and having most of the ground work done with her before having to do the puppy stuff over again. I absolutely love to have the two of them because of the bond and complicity they developped while maintaining a tight relationship with us.

Since Brody is only six months, he still has a lot of growing -physically but also mentally to do. The physical part comes really easy; the mental part... well, it is sometimes a three steps forward, two steps backward kind of things until it stabilizes. Or you can have a Flem who is still a puppy in her head at 7, lol.

Also, and I know it is hard to project in such a long future, having two dogs really close in age means that you will have two seniors at the same time later which can also be a consideration.

While you are thinking things over and deciding when adding a second one would work best for you, your boyfriend, and Brody, you perhaps could arrange playdates for him in your area with other dogs his age and size.

Reactions: Brittany_24

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we have a 7 month golden.. and we decided to wait until he is just a little over a year.. we're going to wait til he is fixed because we want to get a female.. i know, i know nothing will happen but we just decided to wait til hes over a year to fix him then get a new pup. but we are going to be getting another golden.. theres no doubt about it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts