Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We are picking up our little girl in a couple of weeks...she will be around 8 weeks old. I am trying to prepare for her and need some advice.

I want to use crate while she is a puppy for potty training, etc. but I do not plan to crate her long-term. She will sleep in our bedroom at night, but of course I want her to be in the "family area" during the day. What is the best type of crate for this situation? Wire or plastic? Should I buy two or one I can easily transport from room to room?

I feel a bit overwhelmed with so many options! Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I prefer the wire crate. I think it is nice to allow them to see all around them so they don't feel "locked up" We cover it with a blanket at night along the sides of the crate to close it in for a "den" feeling but otherwise it is nice and open. Our breeder also recommended the wire for the same reason. I think it makes sense, especially since Goldens love to know you are there with them!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Why not try an exercise pen? They're a little larger but they're great for keeping the puppy out of trouble when you can't be watching them. When Lexx isn't crated or outside, he's usually in his exercise pen around the other dogs and in our view as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Laurie! I like the idea of an exercise pen to use during the day. Then I could crate her at night and when we are not at home...do you use puppy pads in the exercise pen since there is more room to roam around? I wanted to try to avoid using them if I could.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
No specific advice (other members will chime in, I'm sure!), but will your new little girl be named Widdle? If so, that is so adorable!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 3 y/o son, Christopher....his nickname is "Widdle". Our puppy's name will be "Christopher's Sophia", and we will call her "Sophie". We are big on nicknames in our house! I emailed the administrator to hopefully change my username since this is a dog forum :)...wasn't thinking when I registered!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're picking up our first little guy in two weeks as well! Small world :)

Our breeder highly recommended a wire cage for us because it not only gives the dog more visibility, but she told us it would help keep him cooler than a plastic kennel as well.

I will say my past experiences with a metal wire cage resulted in a lot of lost sleep over noise since we got the cheaper ones. The cheaper thin wire cages sometimes allow the dog to rattle the cage. My parents purchased a thicker wire cage that had a coating around the metal that kept the noise down. Also be careful with collars when they're in a wire cage. The S-Clamp around the vaccine tag is really good at getting caught in the wires and could hurt your dog.

Also we made sure to purchase a cage that had a latch and the bottom and top of the cage. The kennels with just one latch in the middle can allow your puppy to push his head through the top of the cage and then get caught presenting a serious suffocation hazard.

Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"do you use puppy pads in the exercise pen since there is more room to roam around? I wanted to try to avoid using them if I could"

I would not use the potty pads in the x-pen. It would be a potty free space. I don't want my pup to ever think it is acceptable to potty in their space. I would just be very concious on providing enough opportunity to go out to potty. When very young I would follow the plan of if they play for a little while etc take them out. So you don't forget once they are in the pen put a timer on. :) Then you will know how long before the next potty break. They will still eventually learn to give you some signs (some pups just give such sutle signs) as they aren't in the x-pen 24/7 when they are up and you will be playing/feeding/training etc so they will have lots of opportunity to learn as you take them outside.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I second having a safe area for the puppy where she can stay. Liza is in our family room, where her crate is, too. Normally when I am around and can see her, she will be in the gated area, when I have to leave she will be in her crate. We leave the crate open during the day. She usually retires there in the evening when she's had enough and stays there with the door open, while we watch tv in the same room. One word of warning: please do not put a collar on the puppy when she is in the crate. It is not safe!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Thanks Laurie! I like the idea of an exercise pen to use during the day. Then I could crate her at night and when we are not at home...do you use puppy pads in the exercise pen since there is more room to roam around? I wanted to try to avoid using them if I could.

Actually, I have been very fortunate in the housetraining area....Lexx has yet to potty in the house!!! He's very good about letting us know when he has to go (he's very vocal)! So, no we haven't used any puppy pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great advice so far! I am leaning toward putting a wire crate in our bedroom, and X-pen in the family room. I love the idea of using a timer to set potty schedule while she is in her pen (I can use the same timer that helped potty-train my human child!)

I certainly understand about taking off her collar when crating her....I know someone whose lab puppy accidentally "hung" herself inside metal cage while unattended. Heartbreaking!

With that being said...what is the easiest collar to take on and off?

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have two wire crates. I like them because the actual space in the crate can be adjusted with a wire divider. Our little girl can see all around her and we can see her. It has better ventilation than a plastic crate. I would opt for two wire crates. One for a downstairs area (daytime area) and one specifically for nighttime sleep in your bedroom. When we first brought Lacie home, I use to carry her up the stairs to her crate at night in our bedroom. Now, at 12 weeks of age, she follows my wife or I up the stairs to her crate and we gently place her in for a solid 5 hour block of time before we take her out for a potty break and then put her back in until 6:45am. It is so cute to see how she has taken to her crate as her own little space in our bedroom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts