Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just got a 4m old puppy that my brother in law was breeding out of the country (Venezuela), and brought her to Miami yesterday night.
It's been almost 24hrs, and Honey doesn't want to drink and is barely interested in food (treats, none of the dry food in a bowl)...
She is spending most of the time under the dining room table, doesn't want to come to the back yard and with every little noise lays down and seems pretty "startled"...
She wasn't crate trained, and lived in an apartment with her mother and one other littermate roaming around. I have setup both a wire crate and her kennel in the living room, door open, but she doesn't come close to them.
We carried her to the back yard, and she walked around it a bit but then sat/layed down under a bench in the shadow and didn't want to move for a while.
Is this normal given the changes from the trip? Any ideas on how to get her to drink and/or eat?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Her world has turned upside down, she is missing her mom and littermate, so yes it is to be expected that she will be a little depressed, and afraid, the first few days. It's fairly common for puppies to not be ready to eat the first few days just from the stress of all the changes. Give her some time and in a few days I bet she perks up, starts eating and playing like she should. You do need to get her to a vet in a day or two for an initial exam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your replies...
She got to us Sat night, and hasn't been to the vet yet... will take her this week...

·
Registered
11 Posts
She has just been exposed to new water, air, food, bacteria, viruses, etc. Perhaps giving her a good probiotic would help. Next I would take her to the vet for a thorough exam.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
If she is not drinking and seems listless, I'd get to vet sooner vs later just to make sure this is just fear and stress showing and not an illness.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
To the vet immediately. If she flew in the cargo hold to Miami she could be traumatized or dehydrated. She might need some IV intervention to perk her up. She also might be reacting to the new water. She really needs to get to the vet asap.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'd also be looking at the type of socialization & human interaction she received while out of the country. What kind of exposure did she have to different people, sights & sounds. The behavior you're describing is what I see out of pups that have had no actual inside living experience & spent most of their time with other dogs.

Definitely get her to the vet if she isn't drinking, especially after an international flight--I know my dogs were quite dehydrated after their flights.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Vet

I would take her to the vet right away. Puppies can dehydrate very quickly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts