Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New pup

914 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BrodysMom 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum! We just adopted a 7-month old golden and in less than 24 hours he is caked in mud! :smooch: He's been wrestling with my 2-yr old lab and our backyard is being landscaped so I have dirt!

What a mess! But what a good boy he is!!
Any tips on bathing him? Or brushing him?

#2 ·
Bathing? prepare to get soaked! and after bath time is "zoomie" time. They tend to get energized and zoom around after bath...be prepared.

If you want to limit wet dog in house...close the door or bath outside. Bath time is crazy in my house. And brushing...one likes it one hates it.

: )

Welcome! My guys are just nuts.

#3 ·
My lab is pretty good with the bathing. We have an oversized walk in shower so we both fit in there together and I always get soaked! :D But his coat is very smooth so he's easy to bathe. All my dogs have been smooth coated actually. The golden's coat is all new to me! ;)

#4 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum :wavey:

I have found that if you let them air dry the dirt will fall off all by itself and you will have your beautiful golden boy back again.

You know, we require pictures of your furry kids :p:...LOL What color is your lab. I have a black female and previously I had a chocolate.

#6 · (Edited)
Let the fur on his ears dry and then just comb them or brush them. It should fall right out. It's like they have a teflon coating to their fur.

Hooper and Brody are both gorgeous!!!! How are they getting along?

Jack came in with a muddy face the other day and I just left it. It was soon gone. Here he is looking sad because we were laughing at him:

#7 ·
Thanks!

I'm on my way to Petco this afternoon to get a good brush for him...any recommendations? For Hooper, I just used an old bristle hair brush that I had laying around and it worked great.

So far so good! They've been wrestling since 5:00 last night :smooch: but they seem to be calming down now. I think they're both exhausted! They played rough for a while and I think Brody is limping slightly, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Hooper is a typical crazy lab! We adopted Hooper when he was 17 months old so he came with bad manners that we're still working with him on.

I can tell that they'll be best buds when the initial fascination of the other wears off. Brody seems very calm and has a sweet disposition.

I'm sure it will be craziness for a little while but it will be worth it!

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum,
I was going to say if you want to rinse him off with the hose to get most of the mud off then the rest will fall off when he dries with brushing. A good slicker brush is good. He is a real cutie and so is your lab. My boys are the same way with their wrestling and playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.