Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a new pup next week at 8 weeks of age, his name is Kona.
My question is what weight area should he be in if he is going to get close to his Sires weight of 90lbs. Pops is a full cream English and mom is a medium color golden at 75lbs. He was one of the 2 largest males in the litter and has large bone structure.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Perhaps look for the largest male of the litter? Both the sire and dam are over the standard for weight. Do you know if the breeder has passing hip, eye, elbow and heart certifications for the sire and dam? If the puppies follow in their parents paw prints then they will be big!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
All puppies are different. My male was around 10-15 pounds when we first got him at 7.5 weeks. Both of his parents have large builds, with the dad being around 90 pounds and the mother being a tall field-type Golden.

·
Registered
306 Posts
OK in case some of you don't know, English golden's are stockier than americans, always have been, males are meant to weigh 75-85lbs!

I don't think you can go on weight, Roo was meant to be huge (the vet said) and so did breeder, but he doesn't seem very big now at 6mo's, think its hard to tell. If its any use he was about 13lbs at 7.5 weeks and at about 16 weeks (4mo's) was about 36lbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both Sire and Dame have clearances. He was about 8-81/2 lbs. at 5 1/2 weeks.
His father the English is a beautiful almost white GR. I sure would like to get as close to his size and color as possible. The pup is very light and was stocky at 5 1/2 weeks. I believe he was the best choice of the litter. I am sure a couple of months from now it will not matter anyway!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts