Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
We sadly lost our beloved girl after 14 1/2 years and now have a new "baby" to love.
She is your typical high energy pup! Never have I seen a puppy run, jump and climb the way she does.
Can I get opinions on a few things:
Food - what is the current thought on best food for large breed pups?
Itch - she is scratching a lot. Breeder bathed her before we picked her up last week but she was bathed the same way before with no itching. We live in the very cold northeast
Urine- she had been licking quite a bit and peeing pretty frequently so I had her urine tested. They obtained a sample via free catch and sent to a lab. No bacteria found but slightly elevated white blood cells. Probably mild infection. (I know this is common with female pups) She hasn't been licking as much and peeing less frequently so we aren't going to treat just yet. Has anyone had a pup with this?
Eating - huge appetite the first two days and now she doesn't seem nearly as interested. Nibbles a bit and then runs off.
ok that's it! Haven't had a puppy in quite some time and need a refresher or two...THANKS!

·
Swampcollie Lover
28 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new pup.

Food - lots of debate, but I have had good luck with Dr. Tim's kinesis, it's an all life stages food.
Itch - What are you currently feeding? How many times has the pup been bathed and with what shampoo?
Urine - idk
Eating - Describe your current feeding routine. I crate my puppies during feeding time (helps with crate training anyways). They are given an allotted time to eat, then the bowl is picked up. This has taught my dogs to eat when I put their food down and not graze. If it is a high quality food, it doesn't need any added goodies. The pup might go a meal or two grazing and not finishing what's in the bowl, but will get hungry and learn that's their food and they need to eat it. If you start adding goodies to get the dog to eat it's kibble, you will always have to add goodies to make it eat it's kibble.

·
3 goldens
12,032 Posts
It has been almost 18 years since I had a puppy and I had litter mates, KayCee and Hunter I lost Hunter to ProHeart6 in 2003 just 2 months after he turned 4, and KayCee to cancer just before she turned 9. Kase was always a "chow hound" and all in her bowl at once. Hunter, his entire life was "eat a few bites, go play, eat a few bites go play." He never would finish the entire bowl at one time no matter what I did. I fianllu gave up and let him eat and play as he chose. He was tall, long and lean at 79 pounds and we jokingly called him the Long Lean Playing Machine.

One thing I have never done is use those puppy pee pads. Always, business was done outside. Ludkily I usually had an older dog to help train a new pup.

We lost our last golden, Sophie, Oct. 12. She was 3 months shy of her 13th birthday. Now we only have our much loved Great Pyrenees . He is 9 and is an extremely picky eater. He is "tired" of a food before he is finished a bag of food. We have started buying 15 pound bags instead of the 30. And each time we get something different. Today we got Taste3 of the Wild fowl. He just finished Ppurina One lamb and rice. Changing foods doesn't bother him at all like it does some dogs.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You can get a good middle of the road food like nutro or purina pro plan large breed puppy. UTI is pretty common. As far as her eating. Put her food down for 15 minutes. After that time pick it up. You can put it back down at her next meal. As long as your not over feeding she will learn she has to eat it all.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
902 Posts
Food - I would at this point feed her what the breeder was feeding her. If you want to change to a different Large Breed Puppy food do it gradually.

Itch - Could be from the dryness in your house (I know my boys and I itch a lot in the winter!) Also, could be the shampoo. I saw a post here about one of the leading causes of itching after bathing is not rinsing all the shampoo out. So, instead of bathing her with shampoo - maybe just warm water?

Urine - Did the vet suggest antibiotics?

Eating - She is still very new to your home. Maybe she is just interested in other things instead of food. Although, if she does have a UTI and is uncomfortable, that could be the reason she has less interest in food.

I'm sorry about the loss of your 14-1/2 year old.

What is your puppy's name?? Photos?? Welcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts